Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boxhead

Kangaroo side to face England in World Cup opener

55 posts in this topic

Billy Slater,

Brett Morris,

Greg Inglis,

Brent Tate,

Darius Boyd,

Johnathan Thurston,

Cooper Cronk,

Matthew Scott,

Cameron Smith ©,

James Tamou,

Greg Bird,

Sam Thaiday,

Paul Gallen.

Interchange: Andrew Fifita, Luke Lewis, Robbie Farah, Corey Parker

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/andrew-fifita-the-only-new-face-in-kangaroos-side-to-face-england-in-world-cup-opener-20131023-2w1y9.html#ixzz2ia57DN8Y

England should fancy their chances now.

Not much imagination went into selecting that team bar Fifita on the Bench,

As a whole squad I think the Kiwis are stronger , but the Kangaroos have a handful of scintillating individuals with solid citizens around them

Billy Slater,

Brett Morris,

Greg Inglis,

Brent Tate,

Darius Boyd,

Johnathan Thurston,

Cooper Cronk,

Matthew Scott,

Cameron Smith ©,

James Tamou,

Greg Bird,

Sam Thaiday,

Paul Gallen.

Interchange: Andrew Fifita, Luke Lewis, Robbie Farah, Corey Parker

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/andrew-fifita-the-only-new-face-in-kangaroos-side-to-face-england-in-world-cup-opener-20131023-2w1y9.html#ixzz2ia57DN8Y

England should fancy their chances now.

Not much imagination went into selecting that team bar Fifita on the Bench,

What would your side have been?  Apart from having Cherry-Evans on the bench instead of Robbie Farah I'd have probably gone for this side as well.

Let's not forget the Aussies tend to reward a winning side by consistency of selection, whereas England have tended to reward a losing side in the same manner.

I certainly think our forwards are capable of getting on top through the middle and if we can hassle Thurston & Cronk then who knows...

Hayne and Jennings for Boyd and Tate would have been much stronger.

For England's sake I am glad those two aren't playing

What would your side have been?  Apart from having Cherry-Evans on the bench instead of Robbie Farah I'd have probably gone for this side as well.

Let's not forget the Aussies tend to reward a winning side by consistency of selection, whereas England have tended to reward a losing side in the same manner.

I certainly think our forwards are capable of getting on top through the middle and if we can hassle Thurston & Cronk then who knows...

I would have had Hayne on one Wing, Jennings in the Centres.

A Bench of Cordner, Myles, Lewis and Fifita.

Hayne and Jennings for Boyd and Tate would have been much stronger.

For England's sake I am glad those two aren't playing

I completely agree. I'm far more confident we can beat this team. There are some average players here. Is this the first time we've played them without Lockyer? Cronk isn't half the player. Come on England!!!

Would Jennings and Hayne get into the England starting side?

As a left centre Jennings would waltz in!

Hayne, Jennings and josh Morris are very good outside backs. The fact Australia can leave this quality out shows a real strength in depth out wide. This and maybe half back is were England struggle a bit quality wise, does McNamara really know his best combination in both areas? i still fancy our chances but everything needs to go our way on the day, 50/50 calls and bounce of a ball are vital, as well as every England player being on top of their game. Australia are beatable, hopefully Saturday is the success for England that we all crave and need.

bit of a soft bench that...

we need 3 big forwards on our bench and smash the hell out the aussies...

id go...

14. burrow

15. mossop

16. george burgess

17. tom burgess

Hah, there's nothing soft about that bench, spud.

I personally think a utility is a waste, but if you guys put out Burrow, we can afford a cover.

Fifita, Lewis, Parker may not make up a huge bench, but they're all excellent players of top 17 quality. If England underestimate them, the game will be gone.

ok soft was the wrong word....light then...1 prop is light!

the method behind selecting burrow (and roby) is they'll exploit the holes created by the pack & big bench....

Soft Bench????? Fifita and Lewis - Got to be joking haven't you !!!!! 2 stand out performers for NSW in the Origin series, and Nate Myles, a tough uncompromising player who took 3 haymakers off Gallen without being rocked

Yeah, real soft....

Myles isn't in, but probably should be starting in thaiday's place.

Soft Bench????? Fifita and Lewis - Got to be joking haven't you !!!!! 2 stand out performers for NSW in the Origin series, and Nate Myles, a tough uncompromising player who took 3 haymakers off Gallen without being rocked

Yeah, real soft....

i ment soft as in light....not how tough they are lol

any team that goes into a game with only one prop on the bench deserves to get smashed...

My one complaint with the team is Tate being picked over Jennings, an above average injury prone ageing centre being selected over in my opinion, the best Centre in the NRL last season in Jennings baffles me, I don't rate Sheens as a coach so I'm not surprised, England should be happy not to see Jennings in that line up.

i ment soft as in light....not how tough they are lol

any team that goes into a game with only one prop on the bench deserves to get smashed...

My concern is that McNamara - having planned on having a bench of the Burgess twins, Hill and Roby - now misses a trick and goes with a bench of G.Burgess, Ablett, Farrell and Roby.

Regardless of the personnel, I fear that he'll attempt a 'horses for courses' response rather than playing to one of our strengths - our bigger players.

Before someone says it, I am aware that the Aussies are used to facing 'monsters' - including the Burgess twins themselves. However, I'm virtually certain that both twins and another big lad would worry the Aussies much more than George being accompanied by two smaller forwards.

My one complaint with the team is Tate being picked over Jennings, an above average injury prone ageing centre being selected over in my opinion, the best Centre in the NRL last season in Jennings baffles me, I don't rate Sheens as a coach so I'm not surprised, England should be happy not to see Jennings in that line up.

I imagine that both the England team and the majority of England fans are delighted that Jennings isn't in the Aussie side. Unless he ends up wearing 'jumper 21' or something.

My concern is that McNamara - having planned on having a bench of the Burgess twins, Hill and Roby - now misses a trick and goes with a bench of G.Burgess, Ablett, Farrell and Roby.

Regardless of the personnel, I fear that he'll attempt a 'horses for courses' response rather than playing to one of our strengths - our bigger players.

Before someone says it, I am aware that the Aussies are used to facing 'monsters' - including the Burgess twins themselves. However, I'm virtually certain that both twins and another big lad would worry the Aussies much more than George being accompanied by two smaller forwards.

That would depend on how skillful they were and how many mistakes they made.

Plenty of big lads have a high mistake rate.

;)

Would Jennings and Hayne get into the England starting side?

no they don't play for leeds.........