Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

Could You Stop Drinking?

Booze   33 members have voted

1. 1. Could you stop drinking alcohol for a few weeks before an important event?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

47 posts in this topic

A mate of mine was a bit of an alcy and when he tried to stop, I did too out of unity.  

It was very difficult.  I would just skip drinking on Friday (easy), then find something else to do on Saturday evening (OK), then I would be deperate for a drink on Sunday and be hungover on Monday.  I am a fairly moderate drinker and my wife finds it odd that I am cautious about my drinking when I do not drink that much, but I am a fairly moderate drinker because I am so cautious about it.

I assume we are talking spirits here and not beer as there's hardly any alcohol in that, it's practically a soft drink.....?

i enjoy a drink be it red wine, real ale, Stout and other contnentiel beers for the taste and to relax but don't do the get ######/hangover any more.

One thing I've noticed, now I'm in my mid-30's, is the afternoon hangover. When you wake up after a night out and feel perfectly fine, go about your day, only to come down with a really sh**ty hangover in the afternoon. It's an absolute pain in the backside because you think you've got away with it. Never had them up until a couple of years back. 

One thing I've noticed, now I'm in my mid-30's, is the afternoon hangover. When you wake up after a night out and feel perfectly fine, go about your day, only to come down with a really sh**ty hangover in the afternoon. It's an absolute pain in the backside because you think you've got away with it. Never had them up until a couple of years back. 

Try and drink less but every pub should be like Sam Smiths and a have a 2.8% lager/bitter ( more stout like) at £1.65 and £1.35 which are great tasting session beers.

I assume we are talking spirits here and not beer as there's hardly any alcohol in that, it's practically a soft drink.....?

Really? You've obviously never tried this

Am currently on E-cigs and I've got to tell you I feel a different person.

Did s/he come free with the e-cig?

I am surprised how hard many on here have found giving up.

Have done it both times I was pregnant and whilst feeding.

Can take or leave it, never have even a single drink if driving.

Is it something about sports fans?

As some of you are aware, I got into trouble last year with my drinking, I have not had a drop since August 5th 2013, and that was the first since April.

I was a 90+units/week guy, now I'm a zero u/wk, and I feel great, better than I've felt in 20 years!

Still got to wait to 2017 for my license though

As some of you are aware, I got into trouble last year with my drinking, I have not had a drop since August 5th 2013, and that was the first since April.

I was a 90+units/week guy, now I'm a zero u/wk, and I feel great, better than I've felt in 20 years!

Still got to wait to 2017 for my license though

I know some of us gave you some stick last year, but good luck with it. 

I know I could because I have done it. I had a drink problem when I was 23. I stopped drinking for about 4-5 months, had one relapse and have never been out-of-control drunk since then,

I had a few drinks this afternoon to calm the nerves during the Australia game.

I had a few drinks this afternoon to calm the nerves during the Australia game.

I hope it was Guinness, not Fosters!

I hope it was Guinness, not Fosters!

Fosters. ? You're in more danger of drowning than getting ###### ! I enjoy a pint or two most nights, four pints would be my absolute maximum. That might happen once a month, sometimes I have three but that's it.

My body will only allow boozing on Saturday,recovery time is two days.As for smoking,did it for 40years and stopped 5 months ago.Am currently on E-cigs and I've got to tell you I feel a different person.

You look fabulous in your sig pic...

:biggrin:

I thought only Beagles smoked.

Newcastle Brown actually!

Not the Co Limerick version, Newcastle West Brown? ;)

Seems the nanny state is alive a well in Ireland with price hikes on a pint so more pubs will suffer.

I have lived through the 2 recessions at the start of the 80's and 90's but never saw a pub shut down unlike nowadays…it's a rich man's pastime.

Really? You've obviously never tried this

No, but it's still some way off a decent cask strength whisky.

I was chatting with a Polish colleague and a bunch of Czech doctors at a recent meeting in Madrid and apparently they are quite used to silly strength vodka that is considered medicinal. To be honest they might as well just have a shot of ethanol and add an ice cube and a slice of lime.

There's always a few cans of beer in our fridge but I often go a fortnight or more without touching one. I probably drink a little more than I should when we go out at the weekend but its rare for me to be rolling drunk these days.

Had to stop buying white wine though, for some reason that went down like nobodies business, could finsih of a  couple of bottles a night.