Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andrew Vause

MOBO awards

21 posts in this topic

Is this a racist award ceremony? Or at least discriminatory? Would MOWO awards be allowed? Why should anyone see colour when celebrating music? I have much respect for contributors on here, and would be interested in replies.

It's a bit of a tricky one.

Clearly there is a need* for an awards ceremony for R & B etc as the "normal" music industry awards don't really give it enough emphasis. However these forms of music were never exclusively black even if they were predominantly so. Yet I can't think of a better name.

* insofar as there is ever a need

Thanks for the reply NS. With regards to a better name could this be too simplistic but how about 'The Rythm and Blues Music Awards'. I'm being silly, Aren't I?

I'm not 100% comfortable with the term personally. I love loads of music that is 'black' like Motown, Ska and the Trojan stuff etc etc and can see how some of it is used (or was) as a way of black people identifying themselves but I like the music because I like it, not because it is done by people with a certain skin colour.

People of white origin can win prizes at the music of black origin awards though can't they?

People of white origin can win prizes at the music of black origin awards though can't they?

Yes but it is purely the term I don't particularly like.

The MOBOs are a bit rubbish to be honest. You sometimes get the feeling that artists get a gong just for turning up to the show.

But compared the the Soap Awards or the #### ####ing ####### ### ###### Classical Brits, they are world-class!

The MOBOs are a bit rubbish to be honest. You sometimes get the feeling that artists get a gong just for turning up to the show.

I think the ceremony is a bit on it's last legs to be honest. I'm surprised it's still going, used be to quite massive about 10/15 years ago (a MOBO award used to be genuine kudos to those who won) but I think people have realised it's a bit daft since pretty much - as the post above says - all chart music could be classed as "MOBO".

Is there a genre of popular music that doesn't have black origins?

All popular music has both white and black origins.

Thanks for the reply NS. With regards to a better name could this be too simplistic but how about 'The Rythm and Blues Music Awards'. I'm being silly, Aren't I?

Too many types of "black" music have little or nothing to do with R & B.

Is there a genre of popular music that doesn't have black origins?

Yes.

Yes.

Aside from traditional folk music, which I wouldn't class as popular, I'm fascinated as to which?

Palaeontology would suggest that anything to do with human "origin" began in Africa

Aside from traditional folk music, which I wouldn't class as popular, I'm fascinated as to which?

The more extreme types of music like hardcore and thrash/death metal etc take literally no influences from 'black' music.

But then you have had bands like Bad Brains who came along and rewrite everything so it's not something you can necessarily define. BB were influenced by the punks but then in turn influenced a new generation of them in return.

Black Metal is not like it says on the tin however.

The more extreme types of music like hardcore and thrash/death metal etc take literally no influences from 'black' music.

But then you have had bands like Bad Brains who came along and rewrite everything so it's not something you can necessarily define. BB were influenced by the punks but then in turn influenced a new generation of them in return.

Black Metal is not like it says on the tin however.

Not directly but metal evolved out of the blues just as rock did. Punk also owed a lot to blues (via rock) and the Clash for instance were very influenced by reggae.

Not directly but metal evolved out of the blues just as rock did. Punk also owed a lot to blues (via rock) and the Clash for instance were very influenced by reggae.

Yes that is why I specified the more extreme offshoots.

Yes that is why I specified the more extreme offshoots.

It's a bit of a tricky one. Blues was certainly ancestral to hardcore but you could be right in saying that there is little or no blues left in it.

Not sure it could be called "popular music" though.