Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

The positives of living in the UK?

62 posts in this topic

We've had the debates regards energy prices, scandals, education, religion etc. But what about the positives of living in the UK? Travelling recently from Ambleside to Keswick in the Lake District, the surrounding hills and countryside was simply breathtaking, dressed as it was in its glorious autumn colour; a dream for any photographer. Called also to Arnside, where the views are just as stunning and place so laid back. We do indeed have much to enjoy. What's your positives? 

The cheese is very nice.

People are politer than most people.

Most of Europe envies the concept of the local pub.

The humour is special and admired throughout most of the world.

The cheese is very nice.

People are politer than most people.

Most of Europe envies the concept of the local pub.

The humour is special and admired throughout most of the world.

Unless it's a Weatherspoons or Sam Smiths the local Pub is only for people who got money.

Despite what you read in the tabloids and see on TV, most of the natives are friendly.

Despite what the French* and Americans may tell you, the food and drink is damn good.

There are parts of the country whose beauty will leave you stunned and exultant.

*a classic example of one event being held up as a tendency. Honestly, we burn one Joan of Arc, just one, and our continental neighbours never stop banging on about how we overcook everything.

This country, for all it's flaws is simply brilliant.

I have enjoyed many cottage holidays/bed and breakfasts in places such as St Davids in South Wales, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, Oxfordshire, other parts of the Cotswolds, London, Northumbria, North Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland etc Armed as always with my National Trust card, there is so much to see, as well as some fabulous walks. Been abroad many times, but my heart is here in the UK. 

Unless it's a Weatherspoons or Sam Smiths the local Pub is only for people who got money.

That working for a living is a poor way of making ends meet is pretty much the only major drawback.

Walking in Cumbria, Devon/Cornwall, Forest of Dean, South Downs, Malvern Hills, Scotland (rural bits) etc...

Castles, history, beer, whisky, amazing variety of food, local rivalries, 

Probably lots more

That working for a living is a poor way of making ends meet is pretty much the only major drawback.

A pint/chicken breasts going to watch the game are well above what they should be.

Walking in Cumbria, Devon/Cornwall, Forest of Dean, South Downs, Malvern Hills, Scotland (rural bits) etc...

Castles, history, beer, whisky, amazing variety of food, local rivalries, 

Probably lots more

Once walked the Pennine Way and some amazing scenery and fun along the route. One lad sank up to his knees in a bog on Kinder Scout. Being quite big, it was a job and a half getting him out.  ;)

I like knowing that if the urge took me I could drive to where Jeremy Clarkson lives, stove his head in with a piece of masonary and be back home within 90 minutes of such a humanitarian act.

Thé diversity of people and cultures that stands firm despite the efforts to erode it by bigots

Pork pies

Beer

Buildings

Thé right of everyone to have gelant care: something that Is having to be defended as hard as it wass to fight for in the first place

Holby city

Casualty

M'y home and family

After travelling to a few countries...

We are pretty tolerant.

Pretty rational.

Pretty innovative.

Pretty calm.

Generally nice. 

It's dead handy for Larry the Leit to be able to nip over to the continent with his band.

This country, for all it's flaws is simply brilliant.

I agree!

Sutherland and Assynt

Assynt is beautiful.

Stopped at the Inchnadamph Hotel on my first University geology field trip - the area is very important in the history of geology.

I like this country because I can

Help out at the rugby club (summer and winter)and still get to the coast for a spot of Kayaking/boadyboarding/fishing after the game.(summer)

Get for a beer with some great friends and family in some great pubs/bars .

Take the dog for a walk in open countryside only 2minutes from my front door.

The BANDROOM at Farndale superb live music venue.

Spurn point in winter

I think the country is far too expensive now as went to watch a Rugby team called Tynedale in the national lower leagues and it was £10 entry, £3 a pint and £4 a ###### pork sarnie and there was only around 200 odd fans there.

The days where you could join a Rugby/Cricket club as a non paying member so you could take advantage of the cheap beer is long gone.

p.s. i also liked record shop's.

Went to the Sheesh Mahal for their brilliant chicken masala last night and then to the Fighting Cocks for a pint of Landlord. Does life get any better? I went to New York last month and TBF the beer was surprisingly good, but there was no rugby, and NFL on every channel on the TV. This country for all its flaws takes some beating.

Assynt is beautiful.

Stopped at the Inchnadamph Hotel on my first University geology field trip - the area is very important in the history of geology.

Yes it's very Gniess