Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

The positives of living in the UK?

62 posts in this topic

We can't leave out good old British fish & chips. Seniors award-winning cafe in Thornton, near Cleveleys, dish out an amazing choice to the highest standards. 

It's Remembrance Sunday the week after next. Please make every effort to go to the parade in your town. You will never again be in any doubt that this is the greatest country in the world.

If you are anywhere near Bradford, come to ours.

Warning, you will shed a tear.

I think the country is far too expensive now as went to watch a Rugby team called Tynedale in the national lower leagues and it was £10 entry, £3 a pint and £4 a ###### pork sarnie and there was only around 200 odd fans there.

The days where you could join a Rugby/Cricket club as a non paying member so you could take advantage of the cheap beer is long gone.

p.s. i also liked record shop's.

Wake up and smell the roses mate, yes there are a few niggles that you can dwell on but this is one of the most beautiful and accessible countries in the world.

It's Remembrance Sunday the week after next. Please make every effort to go to the parade in your town. You will never again be in any doubt that this is the greatest country in the world.

If you are anywhere near Bradford, come to ours.

Warning, you will shed a tear.

I don't like parades

I commemorate Remembrance Day in my own way on the sunday and on the eleventh

That I can do that and not have to attend a parade if I don't wish is one of the positives of living here

I posted this on the random link thread but it's worth a read to see how the US viewed us in WW2. Some things have changed a lot, others haven't.

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/britain.htm

0have makes for a great read

I'm certainly pleased I'm not thought of as a panty-waist. Sounds horrible.

0have makes for a great read

I'm certainly pleased I'm not thought of as a panty-waist. Sounds horrible.

Running alongside this was a training film featuring burgess Meredith . Meredith says everything in the text but adds that the uk population might not take kindly to the way black soldiers were treated and segregated from their comrades

The climate.

Music. and how musical traditions have been kept alive as a developing artform rather remaining static.

Regional food and how other cuisines have been seamlessly incorporated into the food landscape

Transformation into a true multicultural society instigated by the general public rather dictated by government policies and and laws.

Long tradition of never taking to political extremes.

Great variety of landscapes that is probably not matched anywhere given it's size.

Repect for privacy and civil liberties (despite successive governments trying to erode these)

Journalists

BBC

Regional accents

Music and food festivals

The fact that we invented Rugby League! B) 

Things can only get better, too, after Thursday 18th Sept next year.

The Scottish referendum say yes!

and we'll have Tory governments ad infinitum in England as a result.

The British coastline, amazingly diverse and with some absolutely beautiful towns and villages dotted along it and stretches of isolation despite this being thought of as an overcrowded island.

Our ability to laugh at ourselves and our freedom to laugh at and satirise our politicians.

The NHS.

The traditional English pub and the large diversity of real beer available. I like strolling into a pub I haven't frequented before and finding a new (or old for that matter) beer I haven't come across before. 

The British coastline, amazingly diverse and with some absolutely beautiful towns and villages dotted along it and stretches of isolation despite this being thought of as an overcrowded island.

Our ability to laugh at ourselves and our freedom to laugh at and satirise our politicians.

The NHS.

The traditional English pub and the large diversity of real beer available. I like strolling into a pub I haven't frequented before and finding a new (or old for that matter) beer I haven't come across before. 

Watched Robson Greene's documentary about Northumberland, an area of outstanding beauty yet still undiscovered by many. Also, the coastline in Northern Ireland is amazing. 

Watched Robson Greene's documentary about Northumberland, an area of outstanding beauty yet still undiscovered by many. Also, the coastline in Northern Ireland is amazing. 

That reminds me of Bill Bryson's reaction to seeing Durham for the first time. He was actually angry about it. Why? Because he'd lived in Britain for all these years and nobody had told him that such a beautiful place existed.

I have a very selfish desire to keep areas like Kielder Forest quiet.  It's one of the few truly undisturbed yet truly beautiful places in Britain.  Too many beautiful areas of Scotland are over-visited meaning it's hard to get every bit of peace from them.

Scandinavians are seen as very well behaved, and they are as long as everything is going as expected.  The trains were cancelled for the storm and it has been a battle of everyone for themselves ever since.  The behaviour would not be acceptable in the UK.  We may be a mess when things are OK, but often pull ourselves together when things go wrong.  Many more sensible nations are the opposite way round.

I have a very selfish desire to keep areas like Kielder Forest quiet.  It's one of the few truly undisturbed yet truly beautiful places in Britain.  Too many beautiful areas of Scotland are over-visited meaning it's hard to get every bit of peace from them.

Indeed. You wouldn't want Donald Trump building a golfists' playground there, would you?

The wonderful thing about Northumbria is the quietness when out and about on the roads. It's certainly true that it is not on the same radar as such places like the Lake District. I did once get attacked by a tern when visiting the Farne Islands. ;)  

The days where you could join a Rugby/Cricket club as a non paying member so you could take advantage of the cheap beer is long gone.

Try Leigh RUFC have their own bitter Round Ash goes down a treat.

Try Leigh RUFC have their own bitter Round Ash goes down a treat.

Haven't Saints got their own beer as well?

Haven't Saints got their own beer as well?

Yes but it is a bog standard Robinsons Keg brew. As far as beer at a sports ground goes its ok. But it's nothing to write home about.