Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saint Billinge

The positives of living in the UK?

62 posts in this topic

I have a very selfish desire to keep areas like Kielder Forest quiet. It's one of the few truly undisturbed yet truly beautiful places in Britain.

"Undisturbed"? It's a man made forest and reservoir.

That's very true but it's home to some of the UK's most endangered species, it's fantastically beautiful at the right times of the year and it's ignored by so many people for your reasons that it's almost deserted all year round.  In terms of sheer beauty, it's not quite to the quality of Loch Lomond, Glencoe or the Lake District but it's far less covered in tourists who'll happily spoil it with litter and other mess.

Take, for example, the east side of Loch Lomond, it's the only area of Scotland where you can't go wild camping because so many people have exploited that privilege and ruined it for the rest of us.  The idea of wild camping is that you leave the area as you found it yet you get parties of people turning up in vans, having parties, leaving their litter and spoiling the areas.

Much of our natural landscape is manmade.  Humans have been at it for thousands of years.

Much of our natural landscape is manmade. Humans have been at it for thousands of years.

Correct

Sheep have had a massive effect on the Lake District and the dales: without them both places would look very different

This, too. "In the OECD as a whole, the poor employment situation had a major impact on life satisfaction. This trend is not visible in the United Kingdom where, from 2007 to 2012, the percentage of British people declaring being very satisfied with their lives increased from 63% to 64%."

see http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/nov/05/uk-scores-highly-quality-of-life-oecd

chippy tea

a true english institution, which I don't indulge in very often these days

had one last night from Midgeleys in West park. Triple mushies(which I admit is pushing it a bit), brown sauce big mug of tea.

Most of the world things far more of Britain than we realise.  I bought my cap from the Engelsk Herremagasin (English Gentlemens' Store), which is a large store for anglo-phile Danish men.  Englishmen are pretty much the first choice of Scandinavian women.  Even the Faroe Islands and adopted strong tea with milk and fish and chips from the UK.

Most of the world things far more of Britain than we realise.  I bought my cap from the Engelsk Herremagasin (English Gentlemens' Store), which is a large store for anglo-phile Danish men.  Englishmen are pretty much the first choice of Scandinavian women.  Even the Faroe Islands and adopted strong tea with milk and fish and chips from the UK.

There's a strong streak of Britophilia in Japan, too. Original-model Minis, red telephone boxes, old Garrard turntables, etc. - loads have been shipped to Japan over the years.And they just love Scotch whisky.

Englishmen are pretty much the first choice of Scandinavian women.

Really? Where's my passport?

Really? Where's my passport?

Unfortunately, there's a good reason why Scandinavian men have a high suicide rate!

The British coastline, amazingly diverse and with some absolutely beautiful towns and villages dotted along it and stretches of isolation despite this being thought of as an overcrowded island.

Our ability to laugh at ourselves and our freedom to laugh at and satirise our politicians.

The NHS.

The traditional English pub and the large diversity of real beer available. I like strolling into a pub I haven't frequented before and finding a new (or old for that matter) beer I haven't come across before. 

Sadly the Great British Pub has a large diversity in Real Ale but the price of a pint is way too much unless it's Sam Smith's and Weatherspoon's but if you look around the world how many countries have Cask Beer.

Thing is great in this country is we started some major sport's be it Football/Rugby code's/Cricket/Boxing and we have/had a brilliant input/output of music be it Pop/Rock/Classical/jazz/Reggae/Soul/Dance and had the youth culture as well be from the Spiv's/Ted's/Mod's/Skinhead's/Soul boy's/Punk/Rave etc.