Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joe elliot

McNamara might have to leave the country

151 posts in this topic

He's walked out of a press conference as he took exception to being quizzed about dropping Graham. Everything stinks of a man out of his depth swimming against a tide of players that have lost faith in him.

If the World Cup goes as well as the preparation I'll blame him and nobody else. He's had everything at his disposal but his decisions if not proven right have looked from the outset terrible.

Oh for God's sake! :rolleyes:

When Mourinhio does it, the press love it. Good for him. I like him SM at the moment, he is proving to have a spine!

He's walked out of a press conference as he took exception to being quizzed about dropping Graham.

Well done McNamara!

joe elliot, on 25 Oct 2013 - 4:14 PM, said:

He's walked out of a press conference as he took exception to being quizzed about dropping Graham. Everything stinks of a man out of his depth swimming against a tide of players that have lost faith in him.

If the World Cup goes as well as the preparation I'll blame him and nobody else. He's had everything at his disposal but his decisions if not proven right have looked from the outset terrible.

Oh dear.

Just the kind of halfwit the swear filter was intended for.

just heard in on national radio2, felt embarrassed, the guy doing the sports report was clearly hinting sm did not know how to answer the questions.

Best build up to an Rl event in this country i can ever remember,all we're short of now is a good drug scandal.

Well done to all concerned,even Hock.

Ain't got a problem with McNamara walking out.. I applaud his stance. No prizes for which Journo was moaning about this on twitter.

What did he think they were going to ask him?

if he likes red or brown sauce? is he a leg or breast man? who knows what he thinks -this is a major press conference the day before the wc starts fgs, what a showing up.

I think it's great! Another talking point for the RLWC ahead of tomorrow's game! Like another poster mentioned, this sort of thing happens in every other sport.

Shows again he's out of his depth. If he had strong character and leadership he'd have just said "he's dropped for disciplinary reasons, we need to have high standards". Heard him on radio 5 this morning as well, he was equally rubbish.

He's out of his depth but we have to accept it and support England.

Ain't got a problem with McNamara walking out.. I applaud his stance. No prizes for which Journo was moaning about this on twitter.

Well its not McNamaras job to be a cheerleader and make journos life easier is it? :)

Not much to fault him on, Stevie Mac. He maybe could have stayed put after delivering that response and said something like: "next subject". His main focus currently is on the team who are going to take the field, and rightly so.

I'm sure the little group who had a few bevvies have all been talked to in a suitable manner. They will be now hopefully be motivated to give it 200% in training to get on the teamsheet against Ireland.

The biggest mistake McNamara made was not naming his 17. Had he done that and all 3 Burgess brothers were named then he could have done a press conference with them and that would be the big news.

Missed opportunity.

Didn't Fergie once walk out of a press conference? It's nothing new and will happen again. It's now important for the team to gel together for the sake of the game over here, lest the media wolves really will be out for a tasty meal.

I quite like the stubborn streak he shows. He is his own man and will live or die by the decisions he makes, good on him.

As has been pointed out, Mourinho and Ferguson have done this kind of thing, and had plenty of debates with the media - that doesn't mean they are out of their depth!

Like I said on Twitter earlier, he's either a man on the verge of a breakdown or he's trying to play a very clever game. He doesn't come across as a hothead usually, so I think there is more to this.

The media were clearly trying to wind him up too, the worst thing he could do was to warn them because they knew he'd backed himself into a corner and just kept asking.

All the journo's clearly didn't expect him to walk out otherwise they wouldn't have continued with that line of questioning.. 

Had he stayed and answered the questions as they'd have preferred we would have got zero column inches on the press conference in tomorrows rags. Now he's walked out we're much more likely to get some coverage.

What makes me laugh is that the Journo's are properly upset about it all!.. Danny Lockwood has spent all afternoon on twitter digging out McNamara!

I left before the end of the 2004 Tri Series final at Elland Road. The only time I have ever left a stadium before the end. Have never been so upset/deflated at a game.

I quite like the stubborn streak he shows. He is his own man and will live or die by the decisions he makes, good on him.

As has been pointed out, Mourinho and Ferguson have done this kind of thing, and had plenty of debates with the media - that doesn't mean they are out of their depth!

I know where you are coming from but they are completely different scenarios. They earned respect from players before he even coached them. Ferguson through his sheer length of time at United and proving he knows how to make Manchester United win matches, Mourinho proving he can turn sides into title winning sides like did at Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Madrid. These accolades earn respect off players. McNamara has not earned this yet.

He wants to do things his own way. But where has he showed his own way works. Before you can say your opinion is right you have to proven it has been in the past. McNamara just hasn't.

In sport you only earn the right to ignore everybody elses opinion once you prove your own is right. Nobody has any reason to believe McNamara is doing the right thing. We do not know McNamaras logic behind his decisions.

Why should we believe it is the right decision to not pick the two best half backs in SL. Why should we believe it is the right decision to drop arguably the best prop in the world or drop one of the most destructive back rowers in the world. Why should we believe he is right to leave 75% of the dream team out of the England squad.

All these decisions are very bold ones. They're are obviously going to annoy people as you cant please everyone. Credit to McNamara for doing it as you say at least he is doing it in his own way. But when Fergie sold Beckham United fans said calm down Fergie knows what he is doing and I believed them. If you said to me calm down McNamara knows what he is doing I just can't believe you even though I want to. He just doesn't have the credentials to back it up.