Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joe elliot

McNamara might have to leave the country

151 posts in this topic

I've said in another thread that I am going to stop getting involved in discussion about him now, so I will stop.

However, when we get flogged tomorrow, and end up nowhere near the final, then the guy has got to go, and we need a real RL coach to be out in charge.

C'mon England.

fair enough mate!

enjoy the game.

Ré engagé? When was it engaged in

The first place

I

When we had Shaun Edwards on BBC breakfast signing for wigan. And I agree with you on Mcnamra.

just seen the footage on calendar, didn't have a clue what he was saying before I think caught "ok guys the coach is leaving"

There you go, why is everyone making a song and dance about this?

The guy had travelled to the press conference by public transport and he had to get the bus home.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Napoleon Bonaparte was told great things about one of his generals, "Oui, oui" said the French despot "but does he have luck ?". Steve McNamara is an unlucky coach. Doomed to take over the reins at Bradford once the money had run out appearing as the Frank O'Farrell figure to Nobby's Matt Busby. He then after serving his apprenticeship takes over the reins of the national side from Tony Smith at a time when the gap between Super League and the NRL which for a time had appeared to have closed in the mid noughties widened to grand canyonesque proportions.

It's not McNamara's fault that the quality of player available in the northern hemisphere has decined in relation to the NRL

He will indeed be the last England / GB coach to enter a world cup with the majority of his squad from Super League

He may even be the last full time coach England has for a while

He certainly cannot be held responsible for the actions of certain professionals, who ignoring an agreed team rule chose to go on the razz, after an embarrassing defeat in a trial game against a nation with NO rugby league pedigree. Nor does he blub to the press that he did nothing wrong or more brazenly thought he played well in the aftermentioned defeat.  

I do not know the bloke personally but he strikes me as a man of integrity, who has set process in place during his tenure as coach that could be of great use to whoever may suceed him. It also a fact that at press conferences with any Australians it should be noted that whatever the sport Aussie journalists see themselves as self-appointed cheerleaders for the green and gold and were no doubt loving it today.

Steve McNamara is our coach he deserves our support in this tournament leave any inquests for afterwards.

I'd walk out of a room containing Chris Irvine, Dave Hadfield and Danny Lockwood.

There are no sports journalists anymore, they're sports controversyists.

They seem to have this belief that people have to speak to them and give them the answers they want, when they want. And woe betide anyone who doesn't play their game.

The infamous Cantona press conference about seagulls, trawlers and sardines was the perfect example of this. Labelled as "gobbledegook" by the Independent, when everyone who wasn't a media hack knew exactly what he meant.

EXCLUSIVE: I'm not their biggest fan....SHOCKA

All this is kind of reminding me of the film Mike Basset: England Manager...

If only Macca had quoted If. Then said England will play 4-4-2 before storming out

I'd walk out of a room containing Chris Irvine, Dave Hadfield and Danny Lockwood.

To be fair to create a totally dramatic scene one would not walk into a room containing those three.

I come from a position of not being the greatest fan of Mcnamara. However with the events of the last few days I'm definitely warming to him. Good on him sticking to his guns first with hockgate and now this.

Whether intentional or not he has now taken pressure of the team. This can only be a good thing.

Deffo generating more news than a series of 'the lads are in good spirits' etc etc quotes anyway.

Now if only someone gets arrested for drunkenly haranguing the press box tomorrow.  B)

All this is kind of reminding me of the film Mike Basset: England Manager...

If only Macca had quoted If. Then said England will play 4-4-2 before storming out

Let's hope his speech at the end of the tournament isn't "Four more years".

Ain't got a problem with McNamara walking out.. I applaud his stance. No prizes for which Journo was moaning about this on twitter.

Chris Irvine?

I quite like the stubborn streak he shows. He is his own man and will live or die by the decisions he makes, good on him.

As has been pointed out, Mourinho and Ferguson have done this kind of thing, and had plenty of debates with the media - that doesn't mean they are out of their depth!

Like comparing a pair of Rolls Royce with a Lada. Mourinho and Ferguson were winners who earned the right to act like prima donnas and get away with it.. McNamara has won nothing and just looked unprofessional.

Didn't Fergie once walk out of a press conference? It's nothing new and will happen again. It's now important for the team to gel together for the sake of the game over here, lest the media wolves really will be out for a tasty meal.

Not a football buff but I think Fergie walked out of a press conference and refused to speak to some journalists for YEARS. Would not hold a press conference if they were there.

That's the way to do it!

Like has been eloquently said before there is no real comparison between Fergie and Macca.

It looks like petulance at the moment rather than dismissive behaviour. I really hope he is more astute than what he's portrayed and his decision's are vindicated but It reall is a major hope at the moment.

Bingo! We have a winner.

And I've only just found out about this just now! Not even looked at twitter yet!

Now if only someone gets arrested for drunkenly haranguing the press box tomorrow. B)

I'll see what I can do. ;-)

Like comparing a pair of Rolls Royce with a Lada. Mourinho and Ferguson were winners who earned the right to act like prima donnas and get away with it.. McNamara has won nothing and just looked unprofessional.

On the contrary, I think he handled the persistent and childish questioning quite professionally. He gave ample warning and eventually walked out.

Not a football buff but I think Fergie walked out of a press conference and refused to speak to some journalists for YEARS. Would not hold a press conference if they were there.

That's the way to do it!

Fergie refused to do interviews with or have present anyone from the BBC after they did an article criticising his son. He walked out several times once he spotted anyone with BBC connections at the conference.

On the contrary, I think he handled the persistent and childish questioning quite professionally. He gave ample warning and eventually walked out.

I'll agree to disagree. He was like a petulant child avoiding an inevitable question rather than tackling it head on. No disgrace in putting it to bed as a 'disciplinary' matter. We moan about lack of media coverage for RL, then we have the spotlight and treat journos like that. No wonder we are never taken seriously - McNamara has neither the track record or profile to act the prima donna.

I'll agree to disagree. He was like a petulant child avoiding an inevitable question rater than tackling it head on. No disgrace in putting it to bed as a 'disciplinary' matter. We moan about lack of media coverage for RL, then we have the spotlight and treat journos like that. No wonder we are never taken seriously - McNamara has neither the track record or profile to act the prima donna.

The journalists were clearly after some gossip. He clearly wanted to keep it under wraps. Why couldn't they respect that and ask questions about the forthcoming game?

The journalists were clearly after some gossip. He clearly wanted to keep it under wraps. Why couldn't they respect that and ask questions about the forthcoming game?

I'm sure they would have if the press conference hasn't ended abruptly at the six minute mark. However you need to face the fact that controversy is news - it happens, you deal with it and move on. Instead the questions will persist and will only get worse if England lose tomorrow.