Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Banbury Wolf

Opening Ceremony itself - 'Blanked' by the BBC

74 posts in this topic

i went and i thought the show was brilliant, the atmosphere was great something you can't pick up on tv, i never usually bother getting in early for games but i am glad i did for this it will be a memory i will treasure.

oh and it took from 8 until 12.30 to get there and 7 until 11.15 to get back but i wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Cardiff is always a long slog because the route is a wiggly one.  I was determined to get there even though I had to endure a coach full of bloody Wigan fans to achieve it!  I was really glad I endured the hardship and very thankful that unlike others my coach didn't suffer breakdown and we didn't encounter any major holdups on either journey even though the weather sometimes was atrocious.

Loved the day.  Well done to RLWC2013 staff for what was a great start.  Pity the home nations couldn't bring home the bacon but hopefully both will put right any wrongs and do the business from now on!

You could have got Premier Sports... :P

Yeah, I guess so. I went with the national broadcaster though. What was the show on Premier like?

we only travelled back to Bromsgrove and took us till 10;40 before we arrived back... didn't help that we tried to go via m50 to reach the m5 and found it shut with a detour all the way back to monmouth then some back roads to Gloucester to join the M5... as for opening ceremony it was superb .. as an aside what odds could you get on this in a stadium with approx 80,000 seats that our prop foward found himself sat in the seat behind one of the lads from Telford Raiders who in our games with them this season has ended up with them both in fisticuffs.

I was sat on the same row as Derby City's crew!

No it's not. If people don't want to go that's fine with me. Just keep quiet

I'm just not happy with people airing non valid reasons not to go.. Don't blame the trains and pretend it's not your fault..

I see what you mean but nobody is at 'fault' if for whatever reason they cant or won't go to games

I've just had a pointless twitter argument over the old 'thousands of freebies innit'. Must say I never got the impression that there were any knocking about. Usually I would expect to have heard from the usual sources if there were but did anyone else get a different impression?

Listen matey, I'm 67 years old and basically not up to driving 5 hours, watching rugby and 5 hours back. The journey I planned would have involved a four hour drive to Salisbury, an overnight, and then a train trip to Cardiff and back, but when I checked the website it involved three changes both ways and I decided against it.

Geoff, you have no need to explain yourself. A lot of people wouldn't have been able to go for many different reasons.

You couldn't make it and it doesn't make you a criminal, whatever the reasons.

I went and I loved it, I'm sure if you could have made it you would have enjoyed it (even though it wasn't very traditional),

Our group of 4 thoroughly enjoyed the ceremony.  It may not have cost a fortune but it was colourful and there was enough spectacle to make it interesting.

There was a group of 'Suvverners' behind us who were only there because the son of a couple in the group was a dancer at half-time, they were thoruoghly pleased with the entertainment (for obvious reason) but they were also impressed with the England Oz game and even knew about some of the subtleties,, especially our scrums.

Anyone see the fella who nicked the microphone off Stevo to then lead a rendition of my my my Delilah? Brilliant. Stevo had a bit of a strop, stormed off in front of us, although to be fair, stopped and had his picture taken with the royal navy rl lads!

Yeah, that was right in front of us. It must have been staged but a great bit of theatre

Wonder what the rest of the stadium made of it though.

We all agree the BBC let us down when it comes to fairly covering rugby league. I'm a relative RL newbie and lack the depth of knowledge, but is anyone interested in raising a petition to pass onto the BBC and the MP Grant Shapps. He is currently trying to raise a media storm by pointing out the BBC's failings, let's use him!

Its an issue of timing. Having witnessed the BBC's coverage of RL for over half a century, I'd say their coverage at present, especially of the World Cup is the best ever by a huge margin: coverage more often, for longer, more positively and on more channels.  Now is the time for praise. Maybe save the criticism for next season?

Its an issue of timing. Having witnessed the BBC's coverage of RL for over half a century, I'd say their coverage at present, especially of the World Cup is the best ever by a huge margin: coverage more often, for longer, more positively and on more channels.  Now is the time for praise. Maybe save the criticism for next season?

Spot on. You could say that the BBC are now showing their response to several years of criticism from RL fans. I think they are doing a terrific job. Don't like everything they do, but then not everyone thinks the same as me.

Daily podcast, live match every Saturday afternoon. Highlights programme. Website going into overdrive. Every match live on national radio.

Pretty happy with that lot.

Great day, my only complaints are the screens covering play would have been better if count of tackles was shown, and has I made my way in, a bloke was selling a wad of £1 tickets at the entrance. Anyway opening ceremony great as was the atmosphere, and loads of people present watching league for first time. I stood at the entrance queue with two ladies from Nottingham, who had travelled there because it was a World Cup, had never seen league before. I am sure they enjoyed it.

Watching it on Premier Sports, you seriously missing nothing, very very poor so far

Spend some money and support the game, it was very good live, you could feel the heat from the flames, great to be there.

I was in the ground and I have to admit it was pretty good.  It's not my cup of tea, but it was on for an hour and it passed in what seemed like moments.  My son really enjoyed it.

Although I would prefer those giant Sumo wrestlers that they used to have at Old Trafford.

The opening ceremony was a matter of personal taste I suppose. It didn't excite me personally but I can see why those who like that sort of thing would have enjoyed it. The only thing that let it down really was the PA bloke who had as much enthusiasm in his voice as somebody waiting for a vasectomy and the lack of any explanation of what was happening.

In fact, the PA announcements all afternoon were rubbish (no announcement of substitutions etc). The choice of music after tries were scored was pretty bizarre at times too - when Cudjoe scored we got "Cocaine" by Eric Clapton for some reason.

We all agree the BBC let us down when it comes to fairly covering rugby league. I'm a relative RL newbie and lack the depth of knowledge, but is anyone interested in raising a petition to pass onto the BBC and the MP Grant Shapps. He is currently trying to raise a media storm by pointing out the BBC's failings, let's use him!

I doubt Shapps could give a damn about Rugby League; he seems more concerned about threatening the BBC for not being pro-Conservative.

And as regards petitions, I've seen many  come and go through the Internet era, usually poorly-worded, poorly-supported and always ineffectual.

The BBC have improved their treatment of our game a lot over the last decade and, naturally, are more enthused by international competition than club competition.

Listen matey, I'm 67 years old and basically not up to driving 5 hours, watching rugby and 5 hours back. The journey I planned would have involved a four hour drive to Salisbury, an overnight, and then a train trip to Cardiff and back, but when I checked the website it involved three changes both ways and I decided against it.

That's funny, same age as me "matey".

I don't want to get into a slanging match so all I'll say is you missed a real treat, a fantastic celebration of a wonderful sport, not even dampened by having to wait in the rain for a bus at Bristol Parkway. These things don't come our way very ofen.

In fact, the PA announcements all afternoon were rubbish (no announcement of substitutions etc). The choice of music after tries were scored was pretty bizarre at times too - when Cudjoe scored we got "Cocaine" by Eric Clapton for some reason.

Yes - this was a major negative with the presentation on the day. It was very difficult to keep up with interchanges, especially when we had twins in our 17!

The choice of music has been very poor in general - Tom Hark (the tune used at Warrington) is a well known try celebration tune yet hasn't been used at all.

Minor quibbles tbf!

Great day, my only complaints are the screens covering play would have been better if count of tackles was shown

They have done this now for games since the opener.

Spend some money and support the game, it was very good live, you could feel the heat from the flames, great to be there.

Sick of you guys trundling out this old , some people simply cant get there, end of.