Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckn

Daily Mail watch - part 448

118 posts in this topic

Why anyone with any pretentions to be a RL supporter would buy, or read the Daily Mail is beyond me. Whatever your politics the Daily Mail is a terrible paper.

That might be true but I don't know what RL has to do with anything.

Why anyone with any pretentions to be a RL supporter would buy, or read the Daily Mail is beyond me. Whatever your politics the Daily Mail is a terrible paper.

Being an RL supporter isn't a guarantee of moderation, but I understand your point. It's just that the Daily Mail seems to be such a sacred cow in the eyes of many on the hard right. Criticising it is like a kind of blasphemy, and provokes such an extreme reaction - as we're seeing here.

Then you need to broaden your mind a bit

All sorts of people read the daily mail

Why's it odd?

Invoking its tax stance as evidence that its a poor paper

There is some good journalism in the guardian: for instance it's arts coverage, it also has a decent crossword some of its commentary isn't to my liking neither is its limp liberal political stance: although the politics if a paper isn't necessarily an indicator of its quality...for instance the times and the telegraph along with the sunday times have some excellent writing and decent crosswords-so does the independent

The mail is a different story altogether same with the express: there is no decent journalism in either of them mad mel used to be good for a laugh Allison Pearson is undoubtedly the template for polly filler in private eye

The hysterical nasty minded stance of the mail and the express seems to be directly aimed at the members of the members of suburban golf clubs

Then you need to broaden your mind a bit

All sorts of people read the daily mail

TBH I'd have thought anyone who reads this paper would benefit more from your advice. The Mail's performance re the Long/Gleeson affair should be enough to put any League fan off for life. But that apart the Mail is a very nasty newspaper, its proprietor a proven tax avoider and its editor a bully who (given the stance of this forum on swearing) should be avoided like the plague.

TBH I'd have thought anyone who reads this paper would benefit more from your advice. The Mail's performance re the Long/Gleeson affair should be enough to put any League fan off for life. But that apart the Mail is a very nasty newspaper, its proprietor a proven tax avoider and its editor a bully who (given the stance of this forum on swearing) should be avoided like the plague.

There are some very nasty people who follow rugby league

I'd be careful about going down the tax avoidance route if I were you when criticising people and institutions same with bullys

There are some very nasty people who follow rugby league

I'd be careful about going down the tax avoidance route if I were you when criticising people and institutions same with bullys

I disagree; we should never hold back where bullying is concerned. 

I disagree; we should never hold back where bullying is concerned.

I agree

The reason being that you have misunderstood what I have said: which indeed refers to holding back where bullying is concerned

The mail is a ghastly newspaper owned and edited by ghastly people

That doesn't automatically taint those who buy it and read it no matter what their political persuasions are

Being an RL supporter isn't a guarantee of moderation, but I understand your point. It's just that the Daily Mail seems to be such a sacred cow in the eyes of many on the hard right. Criticising it is like a kind of blasphemy, and provokes such an extreme reaction - as we're seeing here.

"Extreme reaction" meaning that JohnM teased you a bit. I'm sure you'll get over it.

If I was only to read papers that have never had a pop at RL, what would I be left with?

I agree

The reason being that you have misunderstood what I have said: which indeed refers to holding back where bullying is concerned

The mail is a ghastly newspaper owned and edited by ghastly people

That doesn't automatically taint those who buy it and read it no matter what their political persuasions are

Thanks, I understand where you're coming from now. 

I agree; I know plenty of quite reasonable people who read it, I have just come back from buying a copy myself for Mrs Griff9of13's mother (something I do most days, she is housebound).

I read the Daily Mail most days.  Well, the online version anyway.  It's probably the easiest format of all the newspapers to read, it has 90% of its news on one page rather than hidden away on obscure sub-pages.  I have to read it with a mental filter on though that means I take very little at face value and I'll read the more important stories again in a more rational newspaper (Telegraph, Guardian, Indy) to get a different view.

I find it a very useful intellectual exercise reading the Mail.  When they're strongly against someone, or something, I deliberately become devil's advocate to see if that gives me more context.  It's quite amusing how often that my devil's advocate viewpoint is similar to that shown by the Guardian or Indy's view of the subject.  I do it in reverse with the Guardian when they publish a flighty left-wing puff-piece, I ask myself "What would Paul Dacre say about this?"  It certainly makes the morning newspapers more interesting!

If I was only to read papers that have never had a pop at RL, what would I be left with?

You wouldn't even be able to read League Express.

Quite

Disagree, they use a lot of Neil Baracloughs work which is normally excellent and carry a decent amount of images, online anyhow, no idea what the printed version looks like mind haven't seen a copy in years.

I read the Daily Mail most days.  Well, the online version anyway.  It's probably the easiest format of all the newspapers to read, it has 90% of its news on one page rather than hidden away on obscure sub-pages.  I have to read it with a mental filter on though that means I take very little at face value and I'll read the more important stories again in a more rational newspaper (Telegraph, Guardian, Indy) to get a different view.

I find it a very useful intellectual exercise reading the Mail.  When they're strongly against someone, or something, I deliberately become devil's advocate to see if that gives me more context.  It's quite amusing how often that my devil's advocate viewpoint is similar to that shown by the Guardian or Indy's view of the subject.  I do it in reverse with the Guardian when they publish a flighty left-wing puff-piece, I ask myself "What would Paul Dacre say about this?"  It certainly makes the morning newspapers more interesting!

I only ever go on to the online version if someone links to it, but it seems to be full of celebrity stuff down the right hand side. When I cover a particular duty at work I deliver a copy to an elderly lady and I always catch a quick glance at the front page story. The spin they put on events is incredible; not quite Express, but getting there.

The reactions you get when you attack it, though... :laugh:

I only ever go on to the online version if someone links to it, but it seems to be full of celebrity stuff down the right hand side. When I cover a particular duty at work I deliver a copy to an elderly lady and I always catch a quick glance at the front page story. The spin they put on events is incredible; not quite Express, but getting there.

The reactions you get when you attack it, though... :laugh:

My in laws read the Express.  It's completely bonkers.  The one thing that I have noticed over the years is that the opinions that they read in the Express have/or are slowly finding their way in to their thinking and view of the world as they get older.  It's something of a drip feed.  

Every time they say that they only get it for the crossword, I offer to buy them a selection of crossword puzzle books, at which point they then claim they like the exercise of going to the shop for it.

Disagree, they use a lot of Neil Baracloughs work which is normally excellent and carry a decent amount of images, online anyhow, no idea what the printed version looks like mind haven't seen a copy in years.

I was talking about the printed version. Apart from being nasty the Mail is also sanctimonious, they print articles condemning sex scandals, but ensure they are almost always accompanied by pictures of, to quote Private Eye "fruity girls." In fact many of their stories seem to follow this pattern - A level results say - the only people seen celebrating their A Level results are adolescent girls.

I was talking about the printed version. Apart from being nasty the Mail is also sanctimonious, they print articles condemning sex scandals, but ensure they are almost always accompanied by pictures of, to quote Private Eye "fruity girls." In fact many of their stories seem to follow this pattern - A level results say - the only people seen celebrating their A Level results are adolescent girls.

That's the media generally, not just the Mail. Less attractive girls and boys don't seem to do A-levels.

That's the media generally, not just the Mail. Less attractive girls and boys don't seem to do A-levels.

True, but in the mails case it is more hypocritical given their ''moral'' stance. 

My in laws read the Express.  It's completely bonkers.  The one thing that I have noticed over the years is that the opinions that they read in the Express have/or are slowly finding their way in to their thinking and view of the world as they get older.  It's something of a drip feed.  

Every time they say that they only get it for the crossword, I offer to buy them a selection of crossword puzzle books, at which point they then claim they like the exercise of going to the shop for it.

That's media influence for you. Good job nobody  reads The Guardian and The Independent or we'd be  in a right left mess!

True, but in the mails case it is more hypocritical given their ''moral'' stance.

The Beeb also do morals. They also show pretty girls getting good A-level results.

Pretty girls do take A-levels.  The less pretty ones drop out of school and become cheerleaders at Wigan.