Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superten

52 posts in this topic

According to BBC web page 45,000 for opening game, just wondering what peoples thoughts are one crowd.

Not bad! Could have been better if played in the north. But hey ho.

It's the best we've ever done.

"It was a record opening day crowd for the event, beating the 41,271 who saw England beat Australia at Wembley in 1995." [bBC]

Absolutely fine. I think many of us would be have accepted this figure if we had not been caught up in the excitement of suggestions of mega-crowds.

Ok. Slightly underwhelmed having read what LPL journos have put out this week, but a respectable crowd.

Didn't the Welsh Tourist board give the RFL a load of cash to host it in Cardiff? Looks like it was an excellent move, especially considering the noise during the Welsh national athem.

announced at the stadium as 45,xxx

that is, 45k plus a few hundred

Anyone else find the atmosphere a bit muted?

I Wasn't there but if everyone was as nervous as I was I can well understand that.

I actually thought it looked bigger and good on the TV clips I have seen. The WC organising committed could have got away with a sneaky 50k announcement in a 74k capacity stadium and nobody would have batted an eyelid. So good on them for being honest.

45k for both games is fine. It means we already have 90,000 on the WC aggregate.

Anyone else find the atmosphere a bit muted?

I agree and put this down to a really nervous crowd (and a lot of neutrals) just wanting England to compete and for the WC to start well. I was pretty much bricking it and at 22-10 feared a late blow out.

I actually thought it looked bigger and good on the TV clips I have seen. The WC organising committed could have got away with a sneaky 50k announcement in a 74k capacity stadium and nobody would have batted an eyelid. So good on them for being honest.

45k for both games is fine. It means we already have 90,000 on the WC aggregate.

I think that's means world cup average 22,500 so far not an aggregate of 90,000

I agree and put this down to a really nervous crowd (and a lot of neutrals) just wanting England to compete and for the WC to start well. I was pretty much bricking it and at 22-10 feared a late blow out.

yeah nerves and diverse crowd. I had five frenchies to the right of me and five black country types to my left.

I think that's means world cup average 22,500 so far not an aggregate of 90,000

but 45k watched the England game, and about 35k watched the Wales game, how does 22,500 come into it?

It looked more than 45k on the TV.

It looked more than 45k on the TV.

It did which is obviously good for the game thought the whole day came across really well on both bbc and premier still areas to improve such as the bbc showing more of the opening ceremony but overall a decent/good start to the comp with better to come I feel

Watching on TV the atmosphere came across as a bit so so, especially for the Wales game. 45,000 was ok but I think organisers deserved more. From what I could gather, a few more locals could have attended. 

Crowd was muted. I'm quiet happy to bay for Aussie blood but was aware of the "new" people around me. I hope we can crankup the intimidation factor for the other games. As a home crowd we should not be shy of making a continuous noise and scream for every decision.

I found the atmosphere very muted indeed was surrounded by Aussies and loads of Welsh. My wife and I did a very good job of winding the Aussies up though, although they didn't like it when I was saying it shouldn't be a penalty if you hit an Aussie and when Slater scored right in front of us in the corner I said I wish Graham was playing so he could of bit him again.

Enjoyed the Welsh game ant the fans were very good and enthusiastic about it all.

All in all barring results not a bad day a bit too long though. But well done to the organisers.

We need Canetman to inform us how there was really only 22K.

I wonder which of his family members dogs uncles friend works there.

We wanted the atmosphere to be muted, because that was an indication we had succeeded in bringing in lts of newbies and locals. During the England game and the second half of the Sydney-Wales game, people were just watching the games intently.

Nightmare journey there from London on First Great Western. 4 hour return journey meaning I got the last Vomit Comet back to my Kent Market Town dodged the drunken fghting outside the bars and have my Jags-49ers tickets for today when I am heading any minute.

Yes it was a muted crowd but that's what you get with newbies, As I said anything over 40K is perfectly acceptable. Only drawbacks was that I think the majority including me got discounted toickets so that impacts on revenue and the Millenium Stewards were like the East German Stasi.

I am amused by the poster who described me as an uncommitted fan posting here immediately post game having watched it on TV You should all know by now.

The Rooster knows

because he actually goes