Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

Stormageddon - The south gets windy and wet

215 posts in this topic

There are some very nasty looking floods hitting so far inland up near the Boston area that people are just sitting back with a "nope, won't happen to us" attitude.  

According to the paper, there are people in Norfolk refusing to leave their homes because they fear looting.

According to the paper, there are people in Norfolk refusing to leave their homes because they fear looting.

A police friend said that many people know that if they go then it's a perfect opportunity for the #### of an area to do some free Christmas shopping.

last night received texts from concerned mates in other parts of the UK and this morning a phone call from France. They had formed the view from the media that we ere in moral danger. I was able to inform them that in case of  real emergency, the wife was perfectly able to piggy-back me to safely. 

Morte later, when 't missus returns from her stint in the shop at the Mablethorpe Lifeboat Station

Humberside Police have declared the flooding "A state of emergency" and have advised people not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

Clive Sullivan way closed between Hull and North Ferriby. 

The Ibis Hotel in Hull City centre has 19 rooms flooded and has no power.

Deary me, not good around here.

Good job the River Hull tidal barrier did its job or things would have been a lot worse. The Environment Agency estimate that it saved around 19,000 properties from being flooded.

I can remember flooding caused by the River Hull before the barrier was built. Never in my lifetime can I recall the Humber coming over the top.

Shocking winds yesterday and may be more tomorrow. My wooden fence needs replacing and hopefully I'll fix it next weekend but I'm working this weekend.

It was rocking and rolling like crazy yesterday and slats were coming loose. I don't mind it blowing down into my garden but I don't want it to fall onto the access road on the other side ... there'd be nails everywhere and the slats are re-usable. I have therefore lashed  a restraining rope that ties the fence to the nearby streetlamp.

Goodliffe's bakers were closed in Alford and Mablethorpe today because their bakery in Trusthorpe, just 150 metres from the sea, was flooded.

Last night there were loads of people on the prom at Mablethorpe, kids and all, playing in the waves washing over the wall.

Environment Agency Floodwatch has bombarded us with flood alert  e-mais, texts, mobile phone calsl and land line calls over the past 48 hours. Just received one calling the whole thing off.

The Flood Warning for Tidal flooding of low-lying areas in Mablethorpe, Trusthorpe and Sutton on Sea is no longer in force. 

No further flooding is currently expected for your area.

Flood Warnings and Alerts may still be in force for surrounding areas.

This morningâs high tide on Friday 6th December 2013 has passed without causing further flooding. We are checking the state of our defences and will update or downgrade our flood alerts and warnings as appropriate. Friday eveningâs high tide is forecast to reach similar levels to this morning, after that levels will be dropping. The situation is an improving one. We advise you to a avoid walking or driving through flood water, donât walk on sea defences or riverbanks, and wash your hands thoroughly if you touch floodwater as it may be contaminated

- Flood water may still be around for several days and could be contaminated.

- Call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for advice if you have been affected by flooding and use quickdial 0311224 for up-to-date flooding information.

- Visit the Environment Agency website www.environment-agency.gov.uk for river level and flooding information.

- If you've been flooded, ring your buildings and contents insurance company as soon as possible.

Contact Northern Area Flood Incident Management Team Waterside House Waterside North Lincoln

LN2 5HA. Floodline Tel: 0845 988 1188

Never known New Brighton to suffer from huge waves like it did. 

15030327-hurray-lets-celebrate-cheerful-

My son-in law's mother and his sister and her husband live at Burringham, right next to the Trent. He runs a posh car repair and restoration business and the flood has wrecked two Alfa Spyders and a Ferrari.  There was a tidal surge and the garage is buried in 5 feet of mud.

My son-in law's mother and his sister and her husband live at Burringham, right next to the Trent. He runs a posh car repair and restoration business and the flood has wrecked two Alfa Spyders and a Ferrari.  There was a tidal surge and the garage is buried in 5 feet of mud.

The surge that came down the Humber was so high it reached a long way down the Trent and Ouse.

I know Burringham well, I often cycle down the road that follows the Trent down from Keadby Bridge. The river defences are so high you can't see the Trent from the road. For it to come over the top shows just how powerful the surge was.

The Ibis Hotel in Hull City centre has 19 rooms flooded and has no power.

I lost all sympathy when the hotel manager appeared on TV wearing a Hull KR top.

That's some mess to clean up. The houses hanging over the cliff tops show how severe the storm was. Some posters on here have previously said that worse disasters happen abroad and true, but then it doesn't make it any easier when people suffer badly over here. 

How some Germans handled the flooding:

That picture doesn't show Das Boot; it's submerged and about to torpedo the hospital ship.

;)

A couple who watched their home fall into the sea during last week's tidal surge say some of their last few belongings have now been stolen.

LINK TO ARTICLE

A couple who watched their home fall into the sea during last week's tidal surge say some of their last few belongings have now been stolen.

LINK TO ARTICLE

The lowest of the low. News up here told of children's gravestones being vandalised and teddy bears, toys, flowers etc being stolen. 

LINK TO ARTICLE

It's mad as you wouldn't think your house would be gulped up by the sea in the UK..

It's mad as you wouldn't think your house would be gulped up by the sea in the UK..

The sea will gulp anything given half the chance. Much of the east coast of England is vulnerable to erosion and there doesn't seem to be an awful lot you can do. That said, I think a lot of the material gets washed up somewhere else, so there will be places where land is being created. Not a lot of consolation if your house has been destroyed.

When my dad lived in Scarborough, he promised to take me for a meal at the Holbeck Hall hotel whose restaurant was supposed to be very good. Unfortunately, before I my next visit, most of it had disappeared down the cliff onto the beach.

HolbeckHall1_large.jpg

I remember visiting Robin Hood Bay some years back and seeing ships bringing huge rocks over from Norway to protect the coast. That said, some people complain not enough is being done in other areas.

The next storm is due to hit today.  The train companies have pre-emptively cancelled 50 trains out our way tonight and said there's no trains running tomorrow until 10am.