Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

Stormageddon - The south gets windy and wet

215 posts in this topic

Some towns in Kent have suffered tremendous damage after that storm. Repairs would have run to £500million. They'e decided it's cheaper to just rename themselves as Greater Burnley.

The storm was terrible here in Coventry. The city centre was devastated,almost £200.00 of damage.

According to BBC Suffolk, the overnight tidal surge is enough that floods may reach the into the upper floor of domestic properties.  Some areas around Ipswich have expected tidal increases of over 3.6m.

I think my snorkel is stored away in the attic...

According to BBC Suffolk, the overnight tidal surge is enough that floods may reach the into the upper floor of domestic properties.  Some areas around Ipswich have expected tidal increases of over 3.6m.

I think my snorkel is stored away in the attic...

3.6 metres! Dear God, I'm glad I and all my family live at least partway up hills.

3.6 metres! Dear God, I'm glad I and all my family live at least partway up hills.

If you look at the Environment Agency's flood map for tonight you'll see a lot of areas of the east coast where there are "severe warnings" in place that mean expected peak tide plus storm surges that are likely to threaten life.  If you have a look  south of Hull, you'll see it's essentially Doncaster-upon-Sea.  Plenty of areas with expected tidal levels over 3m.

Our house is about 500m away from one of the marked flood zones and probably safe but I'll be staying up to keep an eye on the fields behind us for any threats.  It'd take a massive flood to get to us but then this area wasn't built on last time there was a tidal surge this big.  My best guess is that the brook near us would have to rise by a full 3m before it would really start to concern me that it'd affect our property but there are plenty of other houses nearby that don't have our advantage of a high bank.

If you look at the Environment Agency's flood map for tonight you'll see a lot of areas of the east coast where there are "severe warnings" in place that mean expected peak tide plus storm surges that are likely to threaten life.  If you have a look  south of Hull, you'll see it's essentially Doncaster-upon-Sea.  Plenty of areas with expected tidal levels over 3m.

Our house is about 500m away from one of the marked flood zones and probably safe but I'll be staying up to keep an eye on the fields behind us for any threats.  It'd take a massive flood to get to us but then this area wasn't built on last time there was a tidal surge this big.  My best guess is that the brook near us would have to rise by a full 3m before it would really start to concern me that it'd affect our property but there are plenty of other houses nearby that don't have our advantage of a high bank.

Local TV is reporting that people in Paull just a couple of miles east of Hull are being evacuated from their homes. Kilnsea has flooded and there are reports of flooding in parts of Hull not protected by the River Hull tidal barrier.

By the time the surge gets to your part of the world it could be much more severe due to the bottle neck of the southern North Sea. Stay safe, mate.

Local TV is reporting that people in Paull just a couple of miles east of Hull are being evacuated from their homes. Kilnsea has flooded and there are reports of flooding in parts of Hull not protected by the River Hull tidal barrier.

By the time the surge gets to your part of the world it could be much more severe due to the bottle neck of the southern North Sea. Stay safe, mate.

A friend of mine from Hamburg was mentioning that Hamburg and other coastal northern European areas are expecting a bit of a beating with both the heavy storm and the storm surge hitting at the same time, at least we had one then the other to give a bit of a break.

Funnily enough the jokers who tweeted pics of fallen over garden furniture during the "Storm in the South" have been much quieter today!

Went Basingstoke to Howden to Kenilworth today and saw 4 overturned lorries - Howden to Kenilworth was 3 1/2 hours

Parts of Hull flooding looking rather serious neighbour knocked on my door saying we might have to move quick, ######.

Parts of Hull flooding looking rather serious neighbour knocked on my door saying we might have to move quick, ######.

Sounds like there's extensive flooding in the city centre now with no power in some areas. Our lights have been flickering alarmingly.

Sounds like there's extensive flooding in the city centre now with no power in some areas. Our lights have been flickering alarmingly.

Panic over I've taken my hi fi upstairs !

Should we be concerned that the two nuclear power plants near me both have flood alerts covering them and one has a severe alert?  I suppose that's the downfall of having to site these things on the coast for best effectiveness...

Should we be concerned that the two nuclear power plants near me both have flood alerts covering them and one has a severe alert?  I suppose that's the downfall of having to site these things on the coast for best effectiveness...

I don't want to alarm you even further, Craig, but the surge was half a metre higher than predicted when it reached Hull.

Panic over I've taken my hi fi upstairs !

Just in time, Pete, Radio Humberside are reporting thigh deep water along Clive Sullivan Way and the country park at Hessle under eight feet of water.

Just in time, Pete, Radio Humberside are reporting thigh deep water along Clive Sullivan Way and the country park at Hessle under eight feet of water.

Nothing here yet but to say I'm nervous is an understatement hoping we may have got away with it.

There are some very nasty looking floods hitting so far inland up near the Boston area that people are just sitting back with a "nope, won't happen to us" attitude.  I can see a few fatalities coming through fingers in the ear stubbornness.  Heard on the radio that police are getting frustrated at the number of people turning up at known flood sites to get photos then wanting to be rescued when they get stranded.

First sniff of a flood and the house is getting sealed, been more than a few years since I was shown how to do it properly in the army.  Problem is that I'll need to go help the neighbour as well as she's in her 70s and not very sprightly, she's one of those that's so proud and independent that I know fairly well that her answer will be "I'll just go to bed and it'll be fine in the morning" regardless of what happens.

Kindle charged (so the light will operate, not that I expect a 2 week outage!).  Emergency lights charged.  Camping kit brought indoors from garage.  Emergency heaters in place.  Mobiles charged.  Cats locked in.

The good thing about the army is that it doesn't half bang into your head about there never being such a thing as over-prepared when your spidey sense of "hmmm, something's not right" kicks in.

Good luck to all you guys, it sounds like you may be in for a rough night.

Remember objects can be replaced people can't.

There are some very nasty looking floods hitting so far inland up near the Boston area that people are just sitting back with a "nope, won't happen to us" attitude. I can see a few fatalities coming through fingers in the ear stubbornness. Heard on the radio that police are getting frustrated at the number of people turning up at known flood sites to get photos then wanting to be rescued when they get stranded.

First sniff of a flood and the house is getting sealed, been more than a few years since I was shown how to do it properly in the army. Problem is that I'll need to go help the neighbour as well as she's in her 70s and not very sprightly, she's one of those that's so proud and independent that I know fairly well that her answer will be "I'll just go to bed and it'll be fine in the morning" regardless of what happens.

Kindle charged (so the light will operate, not that I expect a 2 week outage!). Emergency lights charged. Camping kit brought indoors from garage. Emergency heaters in place. Mobiles charged. Cats locked in.

The good thing about the army is that it doesn't have bang into your head about there never being such a thing as over-prepared when your spidey sense of "hmmm, something's not right" kicks in.

Fingers crossed for you.

Aye, hope all is well for those in potentially effected areas. As a Hebden Bridge resident, I've seen recently enough on more than one occassion what damage flooding can do!

Well, looks like a bit of a miss here in south Suffolk.  A few of the big flood risks hit but many others didn't, the storm surge hit before high tide rather than at the same time meaning the worst excesses were missed.  Essex looks like it's going to get a bit of a beating though.

Look North briefly showed people 'playing with the waves' on Marine Drive Scarborough. Some people are so unbelievably stupid.

Humberside Police have declared the flooding "A state of emergency" and have advised people not to travel unless absolutely necessary.

Clive Sullivan way closed between Hull and North Ferriby. 

The Ibis Hotel in Hull City centre has 19 rooms flooded and has no power.

Deary me, not good around here.

Look North briefly showed people 'playing with the waves' on Marine Drive Scarborough. Some people are so unbelievably stupid.

Totally agree. As for those at risk or indeed flooded, I hope all ends well. I'm very fortunate, in that our area situated at the top of an hill never gets flooded from heavy rainfall, although one road leading out to Wigan gets slightly flooded.