Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

Stormageddon - The south gets windy and wet

215 posts in this topic

To be honest, I trust the "Levels" farmers more than I trust a Guardian reporter. I mean, farmers are always right, expert in everything...fertilizer and weedlkiller polluting run-off, soil compaction, grubbing up hedges..... oh , hang on.....

To imagine that Monbiot somehow is more qualified and capable than thecombined intellect and experience of hundreds of highly qualified Environment Agency staff is in my opinion stretching things a bit.

Dredging is relatively inexpensive compared with capital expenditure on big engineering projects so why would the EA abandon it? Oh, I know...maybe its not the answer.

The giveaway in the levels is all the existing raised roads and river banks. ....put there years ago for a reason.

Anyway, we are not alone....i understand that the French Atlantic coast from Finisterre to Bairitz has had it very bad, too.

Monbiot wrote a book on rewilding the planet so in this case, I think he might be an expert.

Monbiot wrote a book on rewilding the planet so in this case, I think he might be an expert.

Raymond Chandler wrote the best detective novels of all time.

Didn't make him a policeman.

The Thames has flooded in Surrey this morning.

How the EA allowed this to happen in Cameron's backyard is a national disgrace and, no doubt,  heads will roll tomorrow morning.

The Thames has flooded in Surrey this morning.

How the EA allowed this to happen in Cameron's backyard is a national disgrace and, no doubt, heads will roll tomorrow morning.

Has Chipping Norton been moved from Oxfordshire to Surrey now? :rolleyes:

I've just read that a pedestrian underpass in south London has been closed for use as a 'pond' to hold water as apparently a number of houses are under threat of flooding, presumably from the Thames.

This whole multiple storm event has a pretty sinister feel to it.  I get the impression of flooding encroaching steadily, foot by soggy foot, into towns and villages all over the south of England with no end in sight. 

Eric Pickles apologised unreservedly for not dredging the Levels, although since they haven't been completely dredged since the early 1990s I don't see why this government should take all the flak.  Still, maybe by apologising the media will shut the f up about dredging and start focusing on the important stuff like how the affected people can be best helped, in Somerset, Cornwall, Kent, Surrey, wherever.

Must have been.  

Or else the post makes no sense.

I've just read that a pedestrian underpass in south London has been closed for use as a 'pond' to hold water as apparently a number of houses are under threat of flooding, presumably from the Thames.

This whole multiple storm event has a pretty sinister feel to it.  I get the impression of flooding encroaching steadily, foot by soggy foot, into towns and villages all over the south of England with no end in sight. 

Eric Pickles apologised unreservedly for not dredging the Levels, although since they haven't been completely dredged since the early 1990s I don't see why this government should take all the flak.  Still, maybe by apologising the media will shut the f up about dredging and start focusing on the important stuff like how the affected people can be best helped, in Somerset, Cornwall, Kent, Surrey, wherever.

Pickles doesn't much care for evidence and experts annoy him.  Big figures confuse the tiny brain hidden behind the chubby face.  If he's apologised it's because he knows he can blame someone else and it'll be good politics.

Signalling and power outages in the Stafford area this morning due to the weather, this has caused major problems on the West Coast Main Line.

I got as far as Crewe where I was told the best I could do was get into Barrow at 17.30 an hour after the game would finish.

So I'm home a lot earlier than I thought and now will try and get some money refunded from the train companies.

Surrey is the Tory Party heartland; Somerset isn't full of major party-donors who live in £million houses.

Cameron's constituency is Witney, also at risk of flooding.

Many people who lived in Bradford when Eric Pickles ran the council will tell you that he is odious, smug and devious.

The Environment Agency has achieved one miracle in Somerset ... it's made Pickles look like a caring decent man.

The Bible is a book.  

Pickles doesn't much care for evidence and experts annoy him.  Big figures confuse the tiny brain hidden behind the chubby face.  If he's apologised it's because he knows he can blame someone else and it'll be good politics.

:jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:   you, not him.

:jester::jester::jester::jester::jester::jester: you, not him.

As one of the oldest contributors to this forum you are becoming increasingly childish.

Lord Smith's contract as Chairman of the EA (£100,000 per annum for three days a week)  runs out in July.

I suppose it's a fairly safe bet that it won't be renewed.

Perhaps Cameron will break with tradition and appoint someone who has a technical background rather than a politician who needs a job.

Lord Smith's contract as Chairman of the EA (£100,000 per annum for three days a week)  runs out in July.

I suppose it's a fairly safe bet that it won't be renewed.

Perhaps Cameron will break with tradition and appoint someone who has a technical background rather than a politician who needs a job.

If he does appoint someone with a technical background, he and pickles will get told to shut up and wind their necks in.

Experts on dredging -

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-somerset-flooding/

It suits the Tories to say that the Environment Agency have screwed up as it gives them yet more justification to get rid of another Labour crony in charge of public bodies and put in their own.  If Labour get in next year then they'll reverse the process.  It's a never-ending cycle of cronyism.

Labour don't mind too much as it gives them some free publicity, same with the Tories when Labour reverse things.

If he does appoint someone with a technical background, he and pickles will get told to shut up and wind their necks in.

Experts on dredging -

Careful, or else JohnM will find a row of joker avatars.

We have to believe our politicians are acting on evidence and not just cheap politicking.

Surrey is the Tory Party heartland; Somerset isn't full of major party-donors who live in £million houses.

Probably off topic, but your wrong about Somerset, there's plenty of Tory donors living in £million+ houses.

In Bath and Glastonbury etc, but probably not so many in the villages that are currently flooded.

The breakfast news on all three channels is focussing on the Thames this morning. That tells us what we already knew ... there's the South East and then there's the rest of the country, which can be conveniently linked as Not the South East

;)

The South East last week

:flood:   :haha:

The South East today

:angry::O:flood:

Experts on dredging -

I don't dispute this overall argument. I am not an expert on flood control. However, I do have reservations about certain of the EA's and EU's environmental policies.

None of the experts has denied that the River Parrett would have drained more efficiently and consistently if it had been dredged for the past ten years. If November's flood had drained, the current problem wouldn't be so bad.

Also, according to one farmer over the weekend, the original Dredging Board still exists and is obliged to hand over annual funds to the EA for River Management activities.The EA has presumably spent the money on other activities.

In Bath and Glastonbury etc, but probably not so many in the villages that are currently flooded.

Langports the one that springs to mind, if the well to do on the outskirts of the village are not donating to the Tories they will no doubt be doing so there coalition partners!  And I bet if Prince Charles houses in the area are getting damp he'll have already sent in his strongly worded letter to the powers that be!