Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

Stormageddon - The south gets windy and wet

215 posts in this topic

Glasgow on the other hand was just miserable...

!

Business as usual then?

I flew over that area yesterday; the reservoirs are very nearly one giant 'pond' with the Thames looking at bursting along many stretches up to Oxford (which haven't already flooded). It was pretty windy on take-off as well with the plane bouncing around everywhere! Glasgow on the other hand was just miserable...

At least I am now in Crianlarich and heading up Ben More tomorrow in the snow... should be good as there is loads of it!

Be careful up there.  Lots of snow.

http://saislochaber.blogspot.co.uk/

Be careful up there.  Lots of snow.

http://saislochaber.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers!

Not going anywhere near Ben More Glen for that very reason; will approach from the south east via the Stob Creagach, Mall na Dige and Stob Binnein. Weather is looking decent bar a bit of mist so we'll see how it goes.

The fisherman can't get out because of the rough weather and the farmland is underwater.

Why don't the fishermen sail up the Thames and fish the Maidenhead bank?

Simples.

I hope the Somali pirates don't try and kidnap Cameron whilst he's paddling about in the water... Although on second thoughts .

Weather is looking decent bar a bit of mist so we'll see how it goes.

I was wrong; didn't see a thing for about five hours above 400m. There is huge amounts of snow on the Scottish Mountains; the north spurr of Ben More looks spectacular. I literally broke trail in the snow for 6.5hrs and only just got passed Stob Creagach at around 925m. Absolutely knackered... good crack though!

Oh, more snow falling up here...

The floods have finally got to this little part of Suffolk.  The little brook by our house has at least doubled in size to about 12ft across and is fairly flowing down rather than gently trickling as it used to.  The pic below was taken from our side window this morning showing that the water at least 3-4ft above where it normally is and has partly flooded the field, it's a good foot or so higher since and is almost reaching that path shown.  No danger to our house though unless it goes up by at least 6 foot more and that's so unlikely it's almost inconceivable.

Floods.jpg

The floods out the side of ours are now about a foot deeper than the pic on here, up beyond the foot of that small tree on the bottom right of the picture.  It's also filthy brown water as well, clearly having dragged the silt from areas not used to seeing fast flowing water.  Still, it'd take at least another 6 feet of flood to get up the bank to our house and by that time 3/4 of Suffolk would be under-water so I'm not too stressed about it.

The EA will begin dredging around the Somerset Levels next month

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-26270501

Is it

An about turn to pacify residents?

Or did they realise that dredging was necessary to stop flooding?

option 1

The EA will begin dredging around the Somerset Levels next month

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-26270501

Is it

An about turn to pacify residents?

Or did they realise that dredging was necessary to stop flooding?

A little from column A, a little from column B. 

Option 1.

There appears to be almost universal opinion among environmental scientists that dredging (a) can do harm as well as good, and ( b ) wouldn't have stopped the flooding this winter.