Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckn

The Remembrance Day Poppy

95 posts in this topic

Many Tv programmes - soaps, quiz shows etc. are filmed weeks (sometimes months) in advance, but the participants are all equipped with a poppy, presumably the TV companies can get them when they want them

Presumably, production is set so that it takes a year to produce all the poppies needed for November ... 30 million? I've bought two this year and quite often have bought four or five.

Many Tv programmes - soaps, quiz shows etc. are filmed weeks (sometimes months) in advance, but the participants are all equipped with a poppy, presumably the TV companies can get them when they want them

You can, if required, get them any time of year.

Why ?

because they have the right to

because they have the right to

Yeah the guy who was born in Derry but swapped over for international honour's with Rep of Ireland.

Yeah the guy who was born in Derry but swapped over for international honour's with Rep of Ireland.

I was at a construction industry do yesterday, and this former army guy got up and started pontificating about the poppy and what it meant. I was quite embarrassed, I knew several of the guests were from NI and held quite contrary views to the ones this guy. TBH at the very least I thought he lacked tact, perhaps he didn't know who the guests were, or more probably didn't care, and they showed extreme good manners by not interrupting him.

and?

the poem from which the poppy tradition stems is pro war and quite inappropriate IMHO

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields

the poem from which the poppy tradition stems is pro war and quite inappropriate IMHO

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields

You Rik are from The Young One's.

And you're beginning to really grind my tolerance into the ground.  That was actually a very serious point that shows how people have changed their views towards the "poppy" and many really don't know the basis of it.

And you're beginning to really grind my tolerance into the ground.  That was actually a very serious point that shows how people have changed their views towards the "poppy" and many really don't know the basis of it.

Hand on i say one silly comment but not nasty and you are being the bully boy yet I try and explain what I think on the other threads.

This is a keyboard forum for people to express the views and I have had a few about my English skills(lack off) and also pointing the finger as I am some sort of Skerwdriver fan.

Please let me say my bit.

Aaaand thank you to the person who finally hit the "report" button.

I hope people realise that this allows me to act on things with a bit of evidence of me being objective rather than just allowing my subjective feelings to hit that moderating button.

Aaaand thank you to the person who finally hit the "report" button.

I hope people realise that this allows me to act on things with a bit of evidence of me being objective rather than just allowing my subjective feelings to hit that moderating button.

And the same to you.

Christ no wonder no one can get on in the world even on a forum about a sport we love we can still fall out as fan's of TGG.

There's a very valid socio-economic debate about recruitment to the armed forces and the catchment of people who join. I read an excellent article about US military recruitment and how many people in poorer towns and cities see it as their only way to get a job, training for the future and security. The article showed how the US government often deliberately over-recruits in some areas to help alleviate youth unemployment in sink towns, the problem was that it was effectively de-populating some towns with many of the best potential blue-collar workers moving away with the army and not coming back.

I think Michael Moore covers this in one of his films. He's not everyone's cup of tea but he made the same point.

The political will for boots on the ground is diminishing day by day I'd guess. It's more technological warfare as every year passes. As each injured service man/woman is paraded on local news so regularly this will only continue.

There's a very valid socio-economic debate about recruitment to the armed forces and the catchment of people who join.  I read an excellent article about US military recruitment and how many people in poorer towns and cities see it as their only way to get a job, training for the future and security.  The article showed how the US government often deliberately over-recruits in some areas to help alleviate youth unemployment in sink towns, the problem was that it was effectively de-populating some towns with many of the best potential blue-collar workers moving away with the army and not coming back.

I used to work with a bloke who had previously been a helicopter crewman for the Royal Navy. They did a joint exercise on a huge US aircraft carrier, where the Americans told him that they had large work sections manned exclusively by US hispanics, because their command of English was nowhere near as good as their habitual Spanish. Thus, hispanic-background officers were assigned to these groups to ensure that full communication could be achieved.

I presume we have a similar situation with Ghurkahs and that, like the hispanics, they pick up English to a reasonable standard as they continue their service.

You can't blame either group for not wanting to go back to their home communities after at least a decade of having a reasonable living standard. The way we have treated the Ghurkahs is a disgrace.

more of a Neil actually

I know you have literacy issues so will be glad to explain the poem to you should you wish

I used to work with a bloke who had previously been a helicopter crewman for the Royal Navy. They did a joint exercise on a huge US aircraft carrier, where the Americans told him that they had large work sections manned exclusively by US hispanics, because their command of English was nowhere near as good as their habitual Spanish. Thus, hispanic-background officers were assigned to these groups to ensure that full communication could be achieved.

I presume we have a similar situation with Ghurkahs and that, like the hispanics, they pick up English to a reasonable standard as they continue their service.

You can't blame either group for not wanting to go back to their home communities after at least a decade of having a reasonable living standard. The way we have treated the Ghurkahs is a disgrace.

Unbelievable!

that simply is not true

http://www.ehow.com/about_5047475_enrollment-requirements-united-states-navy.html

by the way 'us hispanics' are 'Americans'

that doesn't answer the quesrion at all

you still have to be fluent in and have educational attainment in English and that applies to all recruits.

Gurkhas in the British Army speak English, often to a better standard than many English recruits.  The British army is an English speaking one.  If they want to speak in their local language outside of work situations then that's fine but not while in uniform.  Their biggest problem seems to be their families who often don't speak a word of English and about the mid 90s the government cut the budget for families officers being able to pay for English language classes for families and dependents.

I've yet to meet a single person, uniformed or not, that accepts the many different governments' position over the years that it's acceptable to pay and pension Gurkhas differently to British citizens for doing exactly the same job.  You can join the British armed forces as a citizen of any Commonwealth country and get paid identically to a British citizen yet a Gurkha gets "amended" rights.  The utterly pathetic argument that they can live off 1/10th pension back home quite easily is just abysmal, it'd be like saying that a London squaddie should get a double sized pension because the cost of living in central London is far higher than up north.

TBH I always thought that English was the "lingua-franca" of aviation.

TBH I always thought that English was the "lingua-franca" of aviation.

These weren't aircrew personnel. They did below-decks jobs. I also haven't said that the hispanics could not speak English, just that they didn't have an extensive vocabulary.

I only know what I was told. I've got O Level French, though my command of it is negligible.

that doesn't answer the quesrion at all

you still have to be fluent in and have educational attainment in English and that applies to all recruits.

I've posted a reply to Trojan.

I've just got back from the Remembrance Day Parade.

You weren't missed.

I've posted a reply to Trojan.

I've just got back from the Remembrance Day Parade.

You weren't missed.

Was there really any need for that?