Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckn

The Remembrance Day Poppy

95 posts in this topic

Was there really any need for that?

Probably not, but he deliberately winds me up..

I apologise.

Probably not, but he deliberately winds me up..

I apologise.

I do no such thing 

I state my point if view and that's all I do

I wear one, I enjoy wearing one and I like to think it shows that I'm thinking of those that gave their lives to protecting our nation. I also believe that it shows my support of our troops today - whether that's right or wrong I don't really care - that's my personal view on it.

Me too....and my nephews Bulldog even wore onerao6.jpg today

Me too....and my nephews Bulldog even wore onerao6.jpg today

Wow lovely dog.  My granddaughter sported hers also

544163_10153446040170545_288555815_n.jpg

I wear one, I enjoy wearing one and I like to think it shows that I'm thinking of those that gave their lives to protecting our nation. I also believe that it shows my support of our troops today - whether that's right or wrong I don't really care - that's my personal view on it.

I end up buying about 10 each year, I keep losing them or going out without, I choose to wear it and am happy to do so.

Strangely enough when I was in the army I took a great delight in keeping the same one as long as possible, I'm pretty sure I kept one going for at least 4 years

I end up buying about 10 each year, I keep losing them or going out without, I choose to wear it and am happy to do so.

Strangely enough when I was in the army I took a great delight in keeping the same one as long as possible, I'm pretty sure I kept one going for at least 4 years

Try getting a poppy badge,that's what I got for the kids to put on their school blazers.

The badges are more practical but less poignant. I've had a Bradford Northern/Bulls Centenary badge on a work coat for years, and I only ever notice that it's there when I meet someone who comments on it.

Maybe, at a basic level, a paper poppy reminds us that a life can be fragile and easily lost.

I went up The Malverns today. It was littered with Haig fund poppies at the top, I think Wolford6 has a point about fragility.

The badges are more practical but less poignant. I've had a Bradford Northern/Bulls Centenary badge on a work coat for years, and I only ever notice that it's there when I meet someone who comments on it.

Maybe, at a basic level, a paper poppy reminds us that a life can be fragile and easily lost.

Just talking practicalities,I see your point about paper poppies though.

There seems to have been a real push on the marketing this year, wall-to-wall.

I bought one but lost the pin. People don't wear them here so there's no real pressure.

There seems to have been a real push on the marketing this year, wall-to-wall.

I bought one but lost the pin. People don't wear them here so there's no real pressure.

They do have a bank holiday though.  

This Telegraph rant perfectly illustrates the issues raised in this thread.

Google criticised for 'demeaning' tribute to Britain's war dead

Google's crime? they commemmorated today with a single poppy rather than with something 'spectacular'.

It wouldn't be right if there wasn't someone for them to be angry with. I suppose it's better Google than a picture of a random person forgetting the time and not standing perfectly still to attention at 11am today.

If they have to be angry at anyone, why not pick whoever thinks singing hymns during the 2 minute silence at the National Memorial Arboretum is appropriate.

This is where poppy fascism gets you: ITV news reader Charlene White defends decision not to wear poppy on air after racist abuse

Some of the comments below the article are charming. Not.

What a professional outlook when it comes the representation of charities in the media.  Pleasantly surprised that somebody in the public eye took this stance.  The comments flaming her are disgraceful.