Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

02/11/13: World Cup Match 9 - England v Ireland (merged threads)

Who will win?   55 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Ireland by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 7 to 12 points
    • Ireland by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

303 posts in this topic

Discuss World Cup Match 9 - England v Ireland here.

Ireland to sneak it.

Do you have some inside knowledge?  Has a Malaysian betting syndicate showed an interest?

Do you have some inside knowledge?  Has a Malaysian betting syndicate showed an interest?

Might have ............. ;)

Might have ............. ;)

Excellent.

Just going to put the savings on green ...

Why did the RFL schedule this match at the same time as the TRL meet up?

Farce.

Looking forward to enjoying the sold out crowd and some good tries from England; expecting Ireland to put up a fight though!

England will win , Ireland didn't impress against FIji.

Fiji on the other hand if they have significant improvement in them ( the Kangaroo game will test them ) could push England / NZ / Anyone on a rare day in the manner Tonga pushed the Kiwis and Samoa pushed them the other day.

These P.I. teams are dangerous , not to be underestimated , I still hope NZ avoid playing Tonga , in case they wake up and play tactical football.

In the scenario where England go thru after one win......who would they meet in the Quarters I wonder ?

I'm fully in Englands camp right up until they play NZ. I was devastated they lost to Aussie the other day. If they go through and the Kiwis fall short I'll be yelling for England.

Gonna piddle it down on Saturday according to the weather forecast last night.

Gonna piddle it down on Saturday according to the weather forecast last night.

shhhhhh it might change by then 

Tweet from Sean O'Loughlin "Im good to go if Steve Mc wants me"

Windy, cold and showery. Lovely stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2646458

Looking forward to it nonetheless; my first ever England World Cup game. England by 36.

Think this is a good oppitunity to give a few players an oppitunity without changing to much.

Tomkins

Briscoe

Watkins

Cudjoe

Hall

Widdop

Chase

Hill

Sinfield

Graham

Westwood

Ferres

Oloughlin

G burgess

T burgess

Roby

Farrell

Lockers straight swap for Burgess because this is a run out, they have to win it but England will be considerably faster than Ireland.

Westwood stood down and Farrell in, Charnley to start. Hardaker on the bench, Sinfield to start in the halves, Chase on the bench where he should be as an impact player anyway. Two forwards and two backs on the bench for me, Roby starting hooker, Sinfield to slot in there when Chase comes off the bench, Hardaker to cover the backline and Tomkins off as soon as England hit 20 in front and/or 30 left to play.

Hardaker is almost as good at fullback and probably a bit safer under the high ball anyway, but not by much. Less evasive but faster.

Roby usually does close to 80, so if Lockers ankle goes again Sinfield to loose and off we go again.

After watching Ireland v Fiji I cant see Ireland beating England. Will be close at half time at worst, at best Ireland will be looking for the bus home by then. Second half England to monster Ireland.

England shouldn't change too much in my opinion. They should be trying to build momentum and get the team playing as one coherent unit, understanding each other, getting consistency. I'd bring O'Loughlin in for Burgess, and bring Grahm in for Mossop. Thought Mossop looked a bit weak on Sat, Other than that same team please. It isn't a warm up game.

I would bring in O'Loughlin for S. Burgess and Graham for T. Burgess.

I would also have Farrell on the bench instead of Ablett, and start Widdop.

I am a bit torn on this as I can't really cheer for someone beating Ireland but at the same time know that England have to win to progress, which I think they will. 

But you never can tell in these games, I certainly won't be having a bet on this one.

I am a bit torn on this as I can't really cheer for someone beating Ireland but at the same time know that England have to win to progress, which I think they will. 

But you never can tell in these games, I certainly won't be having a bet on this one.

If England don't beat the Plucky Irish by a country mile then we might as well go home now. This game isn't time for, lets hope it's a close one and rugby league is the winner. We have to show we are ready to take on the best and this means destroying teams like Ireland and killing them off.

We really should hammer Ireland. They clung on for dear life against an ill-disciplined Fiji and still copped a bit of a beating. Theyre arguably the weakest team in the competition on paper and England should really be making a statement here.

Aside from what I think the side should be, he needs to keep some consistency. O'Loughlin for Burgess is obvious and Sam can come back in the back row. Graham for Mossop or Tom Burgess is the other obvious one.

Keep Sinfield where he is as that isnt going to change whether he plays with Widdop or Chase doesnt really matter considering theyll be interchanging. (Prefer Widdop to start)

Farrell for Ablett maybe? Briscoe for Hall as well to give Ryan a kick up the ars after his showing against Australia.

England by 30