See England take on the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

02/11/13: World Cup Match 10 - Australia v Fiji

Who will win?   27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Fiji by 1 to 6 points
    • Fiji by 7 to 12 points
    • Fiji by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

190 posts in this topic

Discuss World Cup Match 10 - Australia v Fiji here.

7 changes for the aussies apparently

Kangaroos name extended bench...

1. Greg Inglis

2. Jarryd Hayne

3. Josh Morris

4. Michael Jennings

5. Darius Boyd

6. Johnston Thurston

7. Daly Cherry-Evans

8. Matt Scott

9. Cameron Smith

10. James Tamou

11. Luke Lewis

12. Josh Papalii

13. Nate Myles

14. Boyd Cordner

15. Robbie Farah

16. Andrew Fifita

17. Paul Gallen

18. Cooper Cronk

19. Corey Parker

20. Brent Tate

This is possibly a better team than the one against England. Backline is definitely better.

Kangaroos name extended bench...

1. Greg Inglis

2. Jarryd Hayne

3. Josh Morris

4. Michael Jennings

5. Darius Boyd

6. Johnston Thurston

7. Daly Cherry-Evans

8. Matt Scott

9. Cameron Smith

10. James Tamou

11. Luke Lewis

12. Josh Papalii

13. Nate Myles

14. Boyd Cordner

15. Robbie Farah

16. Andrew Fifita

17. Paul Gallen

18. Cooper Cronk

19. Corey Parker

20. Brent Tate

This is possibly a better team than the one against England. Backline is definitely better.

That's possibly the fastest RL back line since Halifax circa 1992.

Thats Tim Sheens for you, he names a better back line in a game against Fiji instead of the game against the only real threat in the Pool being England, Fiji have a good team with plenty of talented NRL & Super league players but Australia will still beat them 20+ even on an off day, Fiji do have points in them from guys like Uate with the Sims brothers & Bukuya giving them a bit of muscle in the forwards but I don't see how their defence will hold up against the Aussie attack, it's going to be a 40-10 type scoreline.

If Fiji can keep the penalties down then they will stay with the Aussie's but that's easier said than done with the Sims boys.

If not a banana skin there is definately a risk of injury for the Aussie's in this game especially considering some of the Fiji players tackling techniques.

The Sims will meet Myles and Papalii to start, with Fifita and Gallen off the bench. Bring it on.

Fiji can definitely trouble the Aussies, we know they have some improvement in them after the Ireland game. Does anyone know who the ref for this game is? Its two teams of NRL players so it will be interesting to see if it will be played that way. 

History does not count for much but in the last three Games they have met its been in World Cups.

1995   66-0

2000   66-8

2008   52-0

Australia should account for Fiji as they wind up and get the rust off.

For all Fiji's pace, power and skill, they're facing a craftier, better-organised, more experienced opposition. 

I'd be happy to see Fiji score a few showstoppers, but a win is, I think, well beyond them.

Where's good to watch this in Huddersfield on Saturday evening?

For all Fiji's pace, power and skill, they're facing a craftier, better-organised, more experienced opposition. 

I'd be happy to see Fiji score a few showstoppers, but a win is, I think, well beyond them.

That's true enough for the time being, but the game has made huge strides in Fiji in recent years. There will come a time when they shock the Aussies, and probably ENgland before that.

That's true enough for the time being, but the game has made huge strides in Fiji in recent years. There will come a time when they shock the Aussies, and probably ENgland before that.

Maybe.

Fiji still has a long way to go as do all of the Pacific Island Nations, the fact that many emigrate to NZ and Australia at a young age with their family's or are second generation Fijians, Samoan or Tongans does not always reflect the true situation in the home country.

Fiji has a population of around 800k  many of that population is either Asian or from a Sub Continent background who generally do not take up a sport like Rugby League.

Its a small nursery on a small beautiful Island in the Pacific.

I hope they do well.

Fiji have a strong team , they'll give the Aussies a shake up for a while . Shame for them Jarryd Hayne isn't in their line up , but that's just wishful thinking I guess . These pacific island nations seem to lack in the halves to back up their beef and strike out wide . If teams like Tonga and Fiji had top notch string pullers they'd be huge threats , as they'd give the structure and dimensions they sometimes lack . I like watching Fiji though , and they could give us big trouble next week . Good game this .

Anyone going from Huddersfield to St Helens for this one by train? The train via Piccadilly seems to go to St Helens junction. Is there a bus from the station to somewhere near the ground?

Thanks.

C'mon Fiji. So what's the conditions like up there? Not sure whether wind and rain would be an equaliser for Fiji or whether they'd prefer better conditions for handling / error purposes!

Anyone going from Huddersfield to St Helens for this one by train? The train via Piccadilly seems to go to St Helens junction. Is there a bus from the station to somewhere near the ground?

Thanks.

I didn't see this question yesterday or else I would have answered it!  You'll have answered it yourself by now but yes, there is the number 32 which stops within walking distance of the stadium.  I hope you found that out.

C'mon Fiji. So what's the conditions like up there? Not sure whether wind and rain would be an equaliser for Fiji or whether they'd prefer better conditions for handling / error purposes!

Wind and rain!  Lots of wind and lots of rain.  Fair belted down about an hour ago.  There's a thunderstorm lurking to the east apparently but we haven't had that here and don't usually get them when they travel via Leigh.

I think this round should be called the Blowout Round.  Couldn't be a bigger contrast to the first round, scores-wise anyway.  I expect pretty much the same tonight but the weather could be a leveller.

I didn't see this question yesterday or else I would have answered it!  You'll have answered it yourself by now but yes, there is the number 32 which stops within walking distance of the stadium.  I hope you found that out.

Browny was OK. He got a lift in Larry's tour bus.