Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

03/11/13: World Cup Match 12 - Scotland v Italy

Who will win?   27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Scotland by 13 points or more
    • Scotland by 7 to 12 points
    • Scotland by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Italy by 1 to 6 points
    • Italy by 7 to 12 points
    • Italy by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

149 posts in this topic

Attendance confirmed as 9280, wrongly given as 7280 at the ground. That's a fantastic attendance.

Excellent - 7,280 didn't stack up with the numbers of tickets sold annnouncements in the past 2/3 days

Need to find the attendance for the Workington v Leeds Challenge Cup quarter final in 1977, as 9,280 is the highest at DP for either 36 years if the above game had a higher attendance or approx 48 years if not

I was only joshing, the people of Workington and the surrounding areas deserve all the credit for the energy they've put into these games. Cumbria is a large county, but like all of the heartlands, the RL hotbeds are pockets rather than uniform. Hopefully a new generation of players, supporters and sponsors for Workington, Whitehaven, Egremont, Kells, Hensingham etc etc.

just got home from a very very enjoyable afternoon in Workington. Lovely people very friendly - enjoyed it a lot.

Now a slight complaint - Scotland could now win on Thursday, be unbeaten, get 5 points from 6 and still be knocked out.

Id rather have seen Golden Point tonight to avoid that.

I am sure that Tonga will beat Cook Islands easily.  Then USA will qualify before the last group game.  There will be no regular players in the last Scotland game.

I hope that Tonga will be strong enough to beat Italia.

So Group C's result will be:

5 Scotland

4 Tonga

3 Italia

I am sure that Tonga will beat Cook Islands easily. Then USA will qualify before the last group game. There will be no regular players in the last Scotland game.

I hope that Tonga will be strong enough to beat Italia.

So Group C's result will be:

5 Scotland

4 Tonga

3 Italia

there has to be some regular players for USA v Scotland - the squad is only 23/4 players.

Im hopeful of a Tonga victory but I think Italy will win.

Great Performance by both teams but in particular Scotland, Wallace and Brough controlled the game and in Brough they always had a way of releiving pressure and getting out of their 20 with his kicking game.

His chip over and regather was the turning point as without the yardage he made they couldn't have scored the match equalling try.

Ho hum. . . .

Cumbria is a big beautiful county !

I was up there this morning and it is indeed.

So if Scotland win the group, they play New Zealand right?

Their pack will get absolutely dominated. Would be interesting to see how much relief Brough and Wallace can get from their kicking game for that one!

just got home from a very very enjoyable afternoon in Workington. Lovely people very friendly - enjoyed it a lot.

Now a slight complaint - Scotland could now win on Thursday, be unbeaten, get 5 points from 6 and still be knocked out.

Id rather have seen Golden Point tonight to avoid that.

That's sport for you. In the football WC, you can often get a group where 3 teams will win 1 game and draw 2, leaving them all with 5 points. That's the nature if the beast. Just got to make sure those games you win are by as much as possible!

That's sport for you. In the football WC, you can often get a group where 3 teams will win 1 game and draw 2, leaving them all with 5 points. That's the nature if the beast. Just got to make sure those games you win are by as much as possible!

Yup.  It's the World Cup not a school fete.

It is a bit crazy that Scotland could go unbeaten and not get through which would be a real travesty.

It is a bit crazy that Scotland could go unbeaten and not get through which would be a real travesty.

Happens in other sports all the time.

It's the other way round - we want Tonga to beat Cooks as then USA will already be through and will take it easy against Scotland. In any event, Tonga will have far too much for Cooks.

As they did v Scotland before the kick off :tongue:

I wouldn't let them ref BARLA games.

I thought it was just me. Italy were allowed to keep the pressure on for 5 sets courtesy of the ref. And although the guy who was thought to have charged down Brough's drop goal attempt didn't - someone did, but it was ruled he didn't play at it - yeah! I've lost count of the number of forward passes that have been let go by Southern Hemisphere refs, every one worse than the one to Tomkins at Cardiff!

I thought it was just me. Italy were allowed to keep the pressure on for 5 sets courtesy of the ref. And although the guy who was thought to have charged down Brough's drop goal attempt didn't - someone did, but it was ruled he didn't play at it - yeah! I've lost count of the number of forward passes that have been let go by Southern Hemisphere refs, every one worse than the one to Tomkins at Cardiff!

The guy the ball hit was standing still, he didn't play at it, it's clear to see on the replays.

New Zealand were the only unbeaten team in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. They went out at the group stages as they drew all 3.

New Zealand were the only unbeaten team in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. They went out at the group stages as they drew all 3.

Slight difference. They got 3 points from a possible 9, Scotland could just drop one point and be out which seems a shame

Attendance confirmed as 9280, wrongly given as 7280 at the ground. That's a fantastic attendance.

Glad to hear it, was very surprised when I head the figure given out considering how jammed (pun intended) the ground was.

im talking more about the 5 points from 6 - winning 2 of your 3 games. That can't happen in any other major World Cup.

It is a quirk due to the cross group game format.

In football world cups yes you can go out unbeaten but it would mean you havent won the majority of your games.

To drop only 1 point from 6 would appear an extremely harsh way to be knoxked out of tge WC.

Slight difference. They got 3 points from a possible 9, Scotland could just drop one point and be out which seems a shame

yes. Any other WC would see a team that wins two and draws one progress guaranteed.

My other issue with this is that Scotland play on Thursday and they then have 4 days to wait to find out if they are in or out.

Golden Point would have sorted this, then if it was level at the top it could be based on games vs each other.

Just watched the game (I taped it , as it was on in the middle of the night here, and watched it when i got home from work - didn't look at the internet all day, so i didn't know the score!)

Fantastic match: best game of this great tournament so far, just shading NZ v Samoa.