Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bleep1673

Sky Text

4 posts in this topic

From October 30th (ie, this Wednesday) Sky Text will shut down.

Now I can't comment for other people, but this used to be my first port of call for Superleague/Championship news, and American sports too, like NHL/MLB/NFL, now we are having to pump our computers up just to find results.

Has anyone spoken to Sky about this? Is this a direct link because Sky have taken over O2 Broadband & want us to use BBand to access their results service?

They say that we can still get results & news via ch 405 Sky Sports News, but I don't want to spend 3/4 of an hour watching football news for a brief newsflash about Rugby League or read a tag line about NHL, and even then we can just see a "Breaking News" flash about a RL story, and then they go to a Ad break.

Any comments? No, didn't think so. British to the end.

Sky text disappeared from Freeview (along with Sky Sports News) a long time ago, as did ITV digital text. only the BBC remains, and with a much-reduced service.ITV text used to be good for Rugby League - better than BBC anyway.

It's just not seen as a cost-effective use of manpower to maintain a text system as well as a website, I suppose.

If you've got an iPhone it's quick to flick into sportinglife.com for any sport. It contains almost the same news content & results as sky text. I know what you mean though. Sky text was like a comfortable pair of slippers....