Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ELBOWSEYE

IS RUGBY LEAGUE TOO HONEST

77 posts in this topic

No biggie mate. Companies are not so blasé as to accept any old made up figures when deciding where to invest their money for sponsorship. The reason RU gets such a large wedge is nothing to do with made up numbers.

I don't think this thread will undermine SB's efforts, will it?

FWIW I think RL can look at this WC with all the honesty they want and really use it to promote the game. There's a huge positive vibe coming off it right now.

Also. The figures were on wikipedia. Not seen them quoted elsewhere. Now the figures have been corrected to their true size. No harm done.

Fair enough mate, I just think we are too brutally honest about our own shortcomings at times yet when there is a great story there to tell we are not even interpreting the figures in a way that would fully support our agenda. You are right in that union and football and cricket have a number of inbuilt advantages over us, that IMHO is why we need to put the best possible spin on them. I'd rather EVERYONE was honest, but I don't want to be the honest pauper claiming that no one else played fair :)

Fair enough mate, I just think we are too brutally honest about our own shortcomings at times yet when there is a great story there to tell we are not even interpreting the figures in a way that would fully support our agenda. You are right in that union and football and cricket have a number of inbuilt advantages over us, that IMHO is why we need to put the best possible spin on them. I'd rather EVERYONE was honest, but I don't want to be the honest pauper claiming that no one else played fair :)

Yes, of course. I agree with all that. I know 'spin' is a dirty word for some, but RL needs to be as savvy as everyone else when it comes to selling itself. Something the sport's historically failed to do for various reasons.