Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

West Country Eagle

From a post on this forum to a RLWC match in Bristol...

Just over 11 years ago, Phil C came on the TotalRL forum and posted a message about a meeting that had been arranged to talk about setting up an amateur club in Bristol.

A few weeks later, the Sonics were formed.

11 years on, the Rugby League World Cup is coming to the city. Seriously, how amazing is that?

http://www.bristolsonics.com/world-cup-match-caps-rugby-leagues-rise-in-bristol/

Just over 11 years ago, Phil C came on the TotalRL forum and posted a message about a meeting that had been arranged to talk about setting up an amateur club in Bristol.A few weeks later, the Sonics were formed.11 years on, the Rugby League World Cup is coming to the city. Seriously, how amazing is that?http://www.bristolsonics.com/world-cup-match-caps-rugby-leagues-rise-in-bristol/

Met that young fellow at breakfast in Workington this morning. He did confirm he would be travelling south later today as well!

Met that young fellow at breakfast in Workington this morning. He did confirm he would be travelling south later today as well!

Phil's dedication to the RL cause - especially international RL - is astonishing. So far he's been at every game bar the PNG-France one. Sadly work + RLWC media stuff means I can't get to as many as I'd like (though I am at all the Cook Islands' games, plus the semis and final, and was at the opener).

Phil's story is impressive, too. He was brought up a Gloucester union fan and then had a road to damascus (well, road to Wigan) conversion after watching the '96 cross-code games. Since then League has been one of his major passions - and, of course, he was instrumental in getting the Sonics up and running.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to have a pint with him at some point after the match tonight, so we can reflect on what I'm sure will be an amazing evening.

brooza    388

I'll be getting there relatively early this evening if anyone fancies meeting up for a drink beforehand

Futtocks    5,880

Just over 11 years ago, Phil C came on the TotalRL forum and posted a message about a meeting that had been arranged to talk about setting up an amateur club in Bristol.

11 years on, the Rugby League World Cup is coming to the city. Seriously, how amazing is that?

http://www.bristolsonics.com/world-cup-match-caps-rugby-leagues-rise-in-bristol/

Wonderful stuff! :) 

I rem

I remember meeting you both at Wakefield early 2000. Some journey since then and a credit. 

Banbury Wolf    20

I honestly thought that tonight would be simply be another 'trial' game away from the heartlands ... but it's clear to me now that there's a lot significance to it in terms of a milestone in the development of TGG in the West Country (forgive me if Bristol isn't classed as that far SW). I'm sure there will be a small crowd of you involved in this story over the past 12 years who, behind the enjoyment of the match itself, will feeling a bit 'emotional' tonight at these thoughts.. :)

shrek    612

Sounds like its been a great event, hats off to everyone involved, hope those that made it happen are taking time out to enjoy it!

Padge    2,308

Sonics, milk this for all its worth. You deserve to, should do, your entitled to.

7.2k when people were saying if you make 2k its progress is fantastic.

OK the council put in all the ground work and money, but without your persistence in being there and fighting the cause would they have really felt it worth it. I doubt it.

Walter    4

absolutely made up for everybody connected with the gaame at Bristol tonight.

The Wizards had the pleasure of facing Bristol twice last year and I know from speaking to everybody who went down to the game at Bristol that they were a fantastic club and having seen them for myself at Wilderspool there are great people who are running the club.

Well done to all and keep the flag flying for the greatest game of all

Larry the Leit    679

Phil's dedication to the RL cause - especially international RL - is astonishing. So far he's been at every game bar the PNG-France one. Sadly work + RLWC media stuff means I can't get to as many as I'd like (though I am at all the Cook Islands' games, plus the semis and final, and was at the opener).

Phil's story is impressive, too. He was brought up a Gloucester union fan and then had a road to damascus (well, road to Wigan) conversion after watching the '96 cross-code games. Since then League has been one of his major passions - and, of course, he was instrumental in getting the Sonics up and running.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to have a pint with him at some point after the match tonight, so we can reflect on what I'm sure will be an amazing evening.

In fairness WCE, I don't think that your own efforts should go without recognition either.  I shall mention this to your dwarfish brother when I see him next.

In fairness WCE, I don't think that your own efforts should go without recognition either.  I shall mention this to your dwarfish brother when I see him next.

Good luck with that - he's slowly making his way round South East Asia for four months with his wife. Chatted to him on Skype yesterday, live from a bar somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Thailand. Bizarre!

There's a lot of people involved in the Sonics who deserve credit. Most of those were at the game yesterday. We also bumped into loads of former players we've not seen in donkeys, which is good.

Whatever happens in future, we can enjoy this. We'll keep working hard to promote TGG in the region, as will all the others at clubs like Swindon, Gloucester, Somerset etc. The sport is still very small, but it's growing, and after last night we should get a bit of a boost. Certainly all the long-suffering volunteers will be re-enthused, which is very important.

Viking Warrior    257

what a superb attendance figure for a wednesday night, this one game has done more for expansion in one night than has happened in the last couple of years, get sonics in the league and fast......

ShotgunGold    36

What next for rugby league in Bristol and Gloucestershire/Somerset then WCE?

* Bidding for another international match in the next 24 months?

* A new academy for the region/city? (is there one already)

* Perhaps a new amateur club in Bath? A Bristol v Bath derby should be good for locals.

* Or is the aim attendances and coverage for the Sonics? More youth teams?

* Or to try and get more Bristol born players in the Championship 1 (All Golds) and then even into Super League? (Have any Bristolians ever played in SL??)

Daltoni    10

Fantastic story, I hope it's just the beginning for rugby league in Bristol. Would be great if it attracts new kids and adults down to training, in fact if the tournament continues the way it is you would expect an increase in registration. Such a shame more games aren't been shown on the BBC  

goldcoaster    73

Following the wonderful crowd last night, is there a market for Bristol Sonics to enter Championship 1? I understand the cost outlay for a C1 team is not that high, and if they can capitalise on the interest from last night, it could snowball. 

Add to that the fact that the Memorial ground look sideal for Rugby League- and as I understand it, will be without a tenant when Bristol Rovers move. It could be a win-win with a championship 1 Sonics playing out of the Memorial ground.

Could it happen?