Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ehbandit

local leagues

56 posts in this topic

Would it be a good idea to go back to local leagues? play county cups and national cup, and have intercity games? this would cut down on costs dramatically, give players more players chance to play in rep games, and keep some element of national games

Players chose to play for clubs in the NCL for a reason, there is already plenty of provision for those who don't want to play in national competition. I acknowledge what you are saying about costs but looking to address that is more realistic that just abandoning a long established and ultra competitive competition.

No way!!! Going back to regional leagues is a stupid idea, every club should want to play at the highest level. If League goes back local then then Union teams will be overrun with converts.

It wouldn't be that bad in Hull ref, as half the prem sides are from there. ;)

Lets not start this age old discussion up, I was only joking.

I think the hull league would be by far the strongest, followed by a Leigh league

A Leigh league..... Wow heard it all now

Playing regional is being spoken about more and more, it doesn't mean you will get a better standard of game by sitting on a coach a few hours before you play a game, the switch to summer and the lack of support the switch has received may just force some clubs hands, only time will tell, a lot of clubs are struggling financially so it wouldn't come as a shock if clubs start to drop out,

Lets not start this age old discussion up, I was only joking.

I noted the wink. :)  The Hull league would be smallish but I would get fed up of watching Miners v Easts in the Leigh league. :no:

I noted the wink. :)  The Hull league would be smallish but I would get fed up of watching Miners v Easts in the Leigh league. :no:

Come on once a ref, I'm sure you can use your imagination and think of a few more teams you could play in the north west!!

The concept of the NCL was good at the biigining now it's grown do you not think the talented players are spread out to much?

Come on once a ref, I'm sure you can use your imagination and think of a few more teams you could play in the north west!!

The concept of the NCL was good at the biigining now it's grown do you not think the talented players are spread out to much?

It was the OP who suggested a Leigh League. Not a NW league (that already exists)

I may be wrong  but i'm sure the league is called the NATIONAL conference league,if you don't want to be in it sod off back to your regional leagues,at least then we won't have to listen to your whingeing when you make your 1 or 2 trips to cumbria a season.I am also sure there are plenty of forward thinking,ambitious clubs waiting to take your place.

It was the OP who suggested a Leigh League. Not a NW league (that already exists)

haha, couldn't think of the name of the league! I meant a league that would have the Wigan teams in it aswel

Ah then that is a bit better, you could call it the Wiggin League then because Leigh is in Wigan. :tongue:

Would it be a good idea to go back to local leagues? play county cups and national cup, and have intercity games? this would cut down on costs dramatically, give players more players chance to play in rep games, and keep some element of national games

I think it could work if set up properly. national opposition will still be catered for with the cups, so players would be able to test themselves. inter town games used to be very successful, so these would be good to have back. I think the best part would be the reduced costs, at the minute the game has very little money. I think it could work. another idea would be to have regional conferences with a national playofff

Players chose to play for clubs in the NCL for a reason, there is already plenty of provision for those who don't want to play in national competition. I acknowledge what you are saying about costs but looking to address that is more realistic that just abandoning a long established and ultra competitive competition.

Lets be right, the NCL had over a long period of time become the envy of all Rugby League competitions in this country, over the last two seasons the standard on the field has become that erratic because teams are having to field weak teams due to players having other comments that the Pennine premier probably maintains a better playing standard over a full season.

The NCL is a fine, well run league, and the only reason I still watch Rugby League at all, so just leave it alone. The only problem I can see is that there are not enough dedicated players or volunteers to run clubs as there used to be. Too many other distractions these days. I love seeing new clubs in the NCL, but I am afraid quantity, rather than quality is starting to have a detrimental effect!

the Pennine premier probably maintains a better playing standard over a full season.

:jester:

:jester:

"You know it" and the players are starting to realise it, look at Dudley Hill and the reason given WHY they defaulted.

It's not nice to see and I've even read reports of the flourishing Milford club struggling, either that report was wrong or the people preaching on here are wrong, time will tell (Do we have time?)

I think having regional conferences would be beneficial to get the quality of teams back up as many lads have stopped traveling due to work commitments and can work and still play if they are playing local teams. Like a Yorkshire conference a cumbria conference and a north west conference. I know a few more north west teams would apply or reapply if this was the case. I know west bank dropped out due to travelling and lads not bein able yo commit fully with all the long coach journeys. I also think bring back inter town team games and pick rep sides from them. I was lucky enough to play in the widnes vs warrington town of origin game 2 years back for charity. It was a great success and i know everyone involved enjoyed playing in it, and were willing to build on it. But the widnes and warrington committees wouldnt give there backing to build on its success, and with it being arranged and set up by volunteers at there own expense it has proved to be the stumbling block. If this was to be rolled out nationally i think it would take off and get people wanting to play to get picked for ther towns, and creating a better standard of rugby and higher standard of players to pick from.

P.s sorry about my punctuation and grammar im on my mobile and have fat fingers