Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jannerboyuk

Four nations 2014

12 posts in this topic

Shockingly I looked in the 'other' rl forum, even more shockingly I saw a good idea!

Rlwc13 top four = four nations 2014 (which I assume is in oz)

I'd personally have a 5 nations top 3 with highest ranked European nation and highest placed pacific nation

I'd personally have a 5 nations top 3 with highest ranked European nation and highest placed pacific nation

Yes, would like to see this, even if it just to make sure that there is a genuine battle to not finish bottom!

The problem is that there is no country that can beat the big three. The closest to an upset like that was PNG v England in 2008. PNG look like they have gone backwards since then. That would be six matches where the outcome could be accurately predicted plus four matches that are genuinely competitive?

Yes, would like to see this, even if it just to make sure that there is a genuine battle to not finish bottom!

Exactly for me it just makes sense all round because at the moment the 4th hasn't got a chance if winning really but put a 5th team in there then like you say there's a battle not to finish bottom and generally helps the development of the game, also it gives more importance of winning the pacific and Europeans cups to qualify

The problem is that there is no country that can beat the big three. The closest to an upset like that was PNG v England in 2008. PNG look like they have gone backwards since then. That would be six matches where the outcome could be accurately predicted plus four matches that are genuinely competitive?

As has been demonstrated in the RLWC though, people will buy tickets for events even if they know that the game may be one-sided.

Harris wanted a change from the 4 nations, he wanted tours not tournaments ie; WC every 4 years, GB tour half way between and individual tours or receiving tourists on the other years for most nations.

This is the only way to progress international rugby.

In the Union 6 Nations Scotland and Italy don't have a chance of winning it but it doesn't stop them from playing.

be interesting if they had to play home and away. PNG would be tough to beat at home especially with all overseas players available

I hope they announce locations and dates at some point in the not too distant future. I'll be in Wellington and Auckland in November next year so would love to go to a game or two.

For what it is worth, the four yearly rotation of: 2013 - WC 2014 - Four Nations (SH) 2015 - GB Tour, 2016 - Four Nations (NH), 2017 - WC, works perfectly for mine plus a three-week international programme mid-season with the southern hemisphere sides (probably not Aus due to SOO but they play 3 consecutive weekends) coming over here would do nicely.

In Australia, New South Wales do not have a chance of winning but they still turn up :tongue: