Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bomballey

It's Halloween - Your Scariest Player Ever Is..?

69 posts in this topic

Without a doubt jimmy pickering on the field(real gent off it). The pasting he gave to players was quite frightening sometimes. Never once seen him come 2nd in a fight.

When I played prop as an amateur over 30 years ago, the only guy that ever frightened me was the late Brian Kettleton. Packing down in the scrums and being threatened with having your ear bitten off and then your head (in that order, I think) by a 6ft 5in 19 stone bear (when you're only 14st) would tend to put the wind up most people. A few years ago, I was chatting in the pub to an ex pro forward, who also admitted that the only guy who ever feared him was the same Kettleton. As you can imagine, that made me feel a whole lot better.

For a different reason danny brough, his face reminds me of the hunch back of notre dame

More like sloth from the film goonies, "hey you guys!"

Brad Hepi - "you've just been Hepi-ed".

Yeah he was handy. When he was at Hornets with Johnny Noon, the young Kevin Ashcroft and a few others they had to call off the traditional pre-season Law Cup " friendly " with Oldham because too many players were getting injured.

Jonny Noon gets my vote. 

kelvin skerret allways seems to pop up on youtube RL fights, dont know weather he was scary though or just a trouble maker, ala gareth hock.?

When I played prop as an amateur over 30 years ago, the only guy that ever frightened me was the late Brian Kettleton. Packing down in the scrums and being threatened with having your ear bitten off and then your head (in that order, I think) by a 6ft 5in 19 stone bear (when you're only 14st) would tend to put the wind up most people. A few years ago, I was chatting in the pub to an ex pro forward, who also admitted that the only guy who ever feared him was the same Kettleton. As you can imagine, that made me feel a whole lot better.

Yeah Kett used to go in my local, you never really knew how to take him. It was safer just to smile and move out of his way.

Ray Price was a bit nuts and as hard as nails and the best Lock of his era.

Ray Price class at Wakefield played injured most of the season and never took a backwards step.

Tony Fisher: I can still visualise him packing down head first at 100 mph into the face of his opposite number. Wouldn't be allowed these days and he would be sent off every game.

He knocked seven bells out of the Aussies when Peter Fox brought him back for an international recall in 1978. I can also remember him at prop for Cas against Fev in the Yorks Cup Final of '77; Fev were reigning Champions and strong favourites, but the veteran Fisher bullied young Fev prop Townend to death, and became the dominant factor in a surprise Cas victory.

Len Casey

He runs a B&B in the Lake District now I believe. I'm sure no one would ever have any cause to criticise the service, but if they did...

He runs a B&B in the Lake District now I believe. I'm sure no one would ever have any cause to criticise the service, but if they did...

You can't make an omelette without smashing a few eggs and giving them a right good beating.

Here's a Warrington pack that would literally give a beating to most. All are players I've seen in 47 years of watching the Wire.

Boyd.

Joe Price.

Tamati.

Rathbone.

Nicholas.

Nikau.

Bit disappointed that I couldn't fit Brendan Tuuta and Bruce McGuire in.

Joe Price yes. I have to admit to barely having seen him play as he was usually suspended: wasn't he banned for a year after breaking someone's jaw and was then sent off in his first game back?

Nice guy Brad is. Talk to him often at All Golds

another nice guy off the field, lunatic on it. The hits he used to put in for town were bone breakers, he used to like a punch up or 2 as well.

Joe Price yes. I have to admit to barely having seen him play as he was usually suspended: wasn't he banned for a year after breaking someone's jaw and was then sent off in his first game back?

I can remember him playing in a Wardonia Cup game against Wigan, scoring what was the winning try, throwing the ball down and starting the most almighty brawl. He was, of course, sent off, and that was a friendly.

I don't remember that one. There's no such thing as a friendly between Wire and Wigan though is there? The game in Milwaukee springs to mind with Les Boyd and Hanley.

After my last post I googled Joe Price and found out his ban was 11 months reduced to 4 on appeal and it wasn't for a jaw break. However, he had fractured Ken Kelly's cheekbone in a game against Saints without being sent off.