Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Love this game

Should an gridiron pass be introduced in rl.. Yes or no.. If no how come.

70 posts in this topic

Ive been thinking bout this for yearz.. And thought if rugby league introduce such a pass.. It would evalutionize rugby with 3 tatical plays..

Heres my gridiron pass rules.. Cannot throw the pass past the 20 meters line.. Within your own half.. The player catching it.. Cannot pass the ball to another player.. And you have one less tackle.. Meaning instead of 6 tackles you have five.. So if you throw the pass.. On the 2nd tackle.. If the player gets tackled.. It be tackle 4.. Instead of tackle 3..

If this isn't a wind up, NO!

If, you Love This Game, why would you want to introduce something that would kill it?

To frank.. I do love this game.. And the reasoan i love rl.. Is it never fears to evalutionize.. Itself. To be the game how rugby should be played.. Is having a gridion pass.. Really gonna kill the game.. How.. Im thinking how soccer is able to have so many attacking options due to a through ball.. Would killing the game be bad.. To see billy slater or tomkins.. Able to run in open space..

To walter.. If web didnt pick up that soccer ball and ran with it.. We wouldnt have rugby.. But rugby league rules got it so.. Good.. That having an nfl pass may make this game perfect.. Having 2 options in attack.. 1 2, 3, 4, 5 kick.. And 1, 2, nfl pass, 4 kick.. Option 2.. Or 1, nfl pass, 4, 5 kick.. Option 3.. Nfl pass.. 3, 4 5.. Kick. Game play would be so unpridictable.. As long.. As the nfl pass.. I done behind the 20 meter line.. Aka.. Like the 20, 40 kick..

To walter.. If web didnt pick up that soccer ball and ran with it.. We wouldnt have rugby.. But rugby league rules got it so.. Good.. That having an nfl pass may make this game perfect.. Having 2 options in attack.. 1 2, 3, 4, 5 kick.. And 1, 2, nfl pass, 4 kick.. Option 2.. Or 1, nfl pass, 4, 5 kick.. Option 3.. Nfl pass.. 3, 4 5.. Kick. Game play would be so unpridictable.. As long.. As the nfl pass.. I done behind the 20 meter line.. Aka.. Like the 20, 40 kick..

Lol. Having fun with this, sir?

;-)

Why doesn't gridiron dispense with the pads, cut out the forward passes, reduce the substitutions to - say - ten from four - and just get on with the game instead of standing around for a couple of hours.  I'd watch it then.

To frank.. I do love this game.. And the reasoan i love rl.. Is it never fears to evalutionize.. Itself. To be the game how rugby should be played.. Is having a gridion pass.. Really gonna kill the game.. How.. Im thinking how soccer is able to have so many attacking options due to a through ball.. Would killing the game be bad.. To see billy slater or tomkins.. Able to run in open space..

it's an interesting thought andf IMHO you make a good case.

But personally I don't agree with it

people like slater and Tomkins get run in open space. That space is created in several ways -a well executed tactical kick, sleight of hand, use of pace, well executed handling, vision, tactical advantage gained by forward power and more. All of these provide the attacking essence of the best invasion sport there is. On this occassion the innovation and adaptation whilst at the heart of the true traditions of rugby league arent necessary

It makes me chuckle when people start suggesting new rules for games (even if the OP is serious or not). We've had lots of other rules suggestions on here before, such as including contested rucks and so forth.

The bottom line is people have little clue as to how the game would evolve with any major rule change. Over time, it may lead to completely different tactics, training methods, body shapes of players etc etc. It's only in relatively recent years that coaches have really started to analyse the play-the-ball - compare how the PTB is controlled now with back in the 70s, for example.

As for the OP, I would guess that the extra dimension of attacking depth as well as width may well turn it into a cross between gridiron and AFL. Not for me thanks - this World Cup has been pretty good as it is...

Ive been thinking bout this for yearz.. And thought if rugby league introduce such a pass.. It would evalutionize rugby with 3 tatical plays..

But its exactly how american football became what it is, that is changing rugby rules to have a forward pass.   Then given that rules will again be modified over time you end up with exactly what NFL/american football is.

If you want the game to become NFL then thats the way to go. If you don't then it would be mad.

The OP needs one of these.

Big%2520Yellow%2520Taxi.jpg

Gridiron will evolve over the next few years in order to protect the players. There are already huge lawsuits going on to do with ongoing head/brain injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the rules to be more like rugby.

"We've had lots of other rules suggestions on here before, such as including contested rucks and so forth."

this was proposed and campaignedd for by Bill fallowfield when he was the boss

Short answer, ..... NO.

Longer answer,..... The OP has a point about Rugby League not being afraid to "evolutionize". If there hadn't been significant changes in the rules played by the nascent Northern Union, then we wouldn't have Rugby League as it is played today.

As it has been pointed out, we already have "de facto" gridiron passes with the so called "momentum" rule.

The Rugby League play which might be considered analogous to the gridiron pass is the (cross field) kick.

I believe that there are other rules which might be "tinkered" with before we start introducing gridiron plays.

As it has been pointed out, we already have "de facto" gridiron passes with the so called "momentum" rule.

No, we don't. Absolute nonsense.  We just define a forward pass by reference to the player rather than the ground the ball covers.  That's far from being a gridiron-type forward pass.

There are plenty of examples, quoted in other threads, where no-one - absolutely no-one - would see a pass as forward  yet the receiver catches the ball nearer the opposing goal-line than the attacker.

Changing the law to oblige the receiver to catch the ball behind the point where it was passed would change the game a lot.  Passes would have to be much deeper when the ball-carrier was running at pace.  It wouldn't improve the game at all.

Leave well enough alone.