Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Historical value

I'm on about it again

42 posts in this topic

Nope. Its a world cup for christ sake. Summer, winter, Autumn or Spring it would still have been packed out.

FIFA World Cup, great crowds, great games, summer.

Does it tell you something? Yes, as with the RLWC it is played OFF season.

im just a fan of rugby! could not give two flying s when its played, as long as it played!

I've got rosy memories of winter rugby but even though the WC has been played in Oct & Nov (autumn) hasn't the weather had a negative effect on almost every game so far?

Agreed Bomballey.

Every other game has been played in poor conditions that have not sold the game as a spectacle that it can be.

Surely pitches that are dry and had the grass cut lets the backs get some speed and show their wares is what you would like to see.

The Fiji V Oz game was not great to watch because it was played in a cyclone and the teams could not display the talents they have at their disposal under those conditions, they ended up playing a conservative mistake riddled game.

Awwwwwwww bless him, there's one left.

Who woke him up by the way.

Great tournament so far, but I'm starting to forget what its like to watch a game in the dry so you can keep your switch back!

No, you can keep your romanticised, nostalgic memories. summer rugby all the way for me.

On Saturday, we played Denmark's first game in wintery conditions rather than summer.  It was just rain and a couple of months months from mid-winter.  Still, the rugby was compromised, the crowd attendence was down and takings per person were down as they did not stay as long to eat and drink. 

The players were more appreciated by the spectators than ever, but the consensous was that playing in winter was an interesting experiment that did not work and we are sticking to a summer season from now on.

I do hope that RLWC grows to a level that we will have the tournament in mid-season in 8-12 years.

It genuinely takes away from the spectacle that is RL and ruins the day out as a whole when it is really bad. We've actually been quite lucky so far, but we all know what happened in 2000!

They would only really need to play it in mid-season when it is here and France.

I do hope that RLWC grows to a level that we will have the tournament in mid-season in 8-12 years.

It genuinely takes away from the spectacle that is RL and ruins the day out as a whole when it is really bad. We've actually been quite lucky so far, but we all know what happened in 2000!

They would only really need to play it in mid-season when it is here and France.

I agree but I can not imagine the NRL being put on hold for five weeks mid season.

I doubt the Clubs would want to play without there main players and the NRL media contracts would be an issue.

One of the best features of when England played in the winter was the amount of Australian players that joined English Clubs to play year round and the Tours that could be held with split seasons.

I agree but I can not imagine the NRL being put on hold for five weeks mid season.

I doubt the Clubs would want to play without there main players and the NRL media contracts would be an issue.

One of the best features of when England played in the winter was the amount of Australian players that joined English Clubs to play year round and the Tours that could be held with split seasons.

We need to change our mindset. This would only be required one year in 8 or 12. of course teams could play on using squad members like Union.

We need to change our mindset. This would only be required one year in 8 or 12. of course teams could play on using squad members like Union.

I guess you are right, its a tough thing to work out with the game in the SH and NH on such different paths.

I don't know what the fuss is about, since it changed to summer I haven't seen one game and I'm not interested in getting involved again, but that's

the way it is, but I've no intentions of coming on here moaning about it, just do your own thing.

I don't know what the fuss is about, since it changed to summer I haven't seen one game and I'm not interested in getting involved again, but that's

the way it is, but I've no intentions of coming on here moaning about it, just do your own thing.

Has John D been handing out flyers advertising TRL in the local nuthouse?

What are you doing on here then?

Again someone brings up a discussion that means something to him, and that suddenly engages the moronic element who disagree with comments like "who woke him up" and Ps zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, if you don’t agree put up a constructive argument don’t just reply with childish remarks.

For what it’s worth, I do believe that the pro and semi-pro game should remain as it is in the summer, when it comes to paying for something People demand all the creature comforts that are available, it is not enough to be in a covered terrace or sitting in a dry stand anymore they also want the sun shining. Reverting to winter would certainly impinge on attendances.

But as far as the amateur game is concerned, since it’s inception a couple of years ago summer rugby has had a very bad affect on the game, attendances are down, clubs are not getting in the revenue, the playing standard as actually dropped for the reason that clubs/teams cannot always put out their best team due to other influences like holidays, weekends away, weddings, stag do’s etc.

Now you may think that this doesn’t concern you as a pro rugby supporter, but what is happening in the open age game is also reflected in the junior and youth sections and with lack of games through cancellations more kids are turning away from the game, if the trend keeps on it will have devastating consequences a few years down the line.

Revert back to the winter season for the amateurs, I for one don't mind standing in the elements, there is more than enough going on to divert my attention from the cold. 

What are you doing on here then?

What I maybe should have said is, I much preferred winter rugby like a lot of others did, but we lost so get over it, it's pointless to keep coming on here moaning about it, certainly until the supposedly three year trial

has been completed anyway. That doesn't mean I've no interest in what's going on in the game, although like a lot of other former posters on here my interest has certainly gone down a bit.