Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

10/11/13 - World Cup Match 19: Wales v Cook Islands

Who will win?   6 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wales by 13 points or more
    • Wales by 7 to 12 points
    • Wales by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Cook Islands by 1 to 6 points
    • Cook Islands by 7 to 12 points
    • Cook Islands by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

85 posts in this topic

Some pride restored with the fight back, however, an extremely disappointing WC campaign.  I hope that future Wales internationals are played in North Wales given the greater interest in international rugby. 

:(

Some pride restored with the fight back, however, an extremely disappointing WC campaign.  I hope that future Wales internationals are played in North Wales given the greater interest in international rugby. 

Some serious planning is needed or else they are going to get hammered in the future by any team who can find a number of heritage players in or around the NRL.

Not great, by any judgement.

But we'll be back.

Thanks boys, see you next season.

Cymru am Byth!!

Real shame that Wales didn't play to their potential (I do believe they are better than their overall performances as they hinted at their abilities in each of their games).  Maybe the lack of experience hindered them both in terms of decisions made and keeping cool heads.  I'm not sure having such an inexperienced coach in Harris helped in that respect.

Still, mighty oaks from acorns grow or something like that.  There is no reason to believe that they won't develop over the next few years given the right level of investment, support and player opportunities.  That doesn't make up for the poor results this time around and it has been disappointing as they were one of the host nation teams but watching England disappoint on a regular basis means that this disappointment for Wales is far from the end of the road. 

I was at the game and well it was very disappointing. I have seen the Scorpions play at The Gnoll before and you know for C1 it's very good. But it wasn't for this match.

We were pretty darn atrocious for the first half. It's not the lack of creativity or speed or whatever that annoys me it's the constant making of really really stupid mistakes. When you get a penalty a World Cup side is expected to reach the line, a World Cup side is expected to play the ball properly, a World Cup side can catch the ball when there is no pressure whatsoever, a World Cup side does not pointlessly kick the ball on the third tackle. We did all this in just 40 minutes.

Fortunately for the fans Wales actually played fairly well in the last 40 minutes. In fact they played 'good-enough-for-Quarter-Finals' kind of well. The crowd and the players were lifted by that but ultimately it was too little too late. 200 minutes of rather poor rugby followed by 40 minutes of good rugby (and I've seen all of our matches live).

I'm not gonna blame Harris for any of this. I just think there's a lack of cohesion in the squad compared to say Scotland or even Ireland. The one positive about us is that the squad are largely Welsh born-and-bred players. I was seated near the wife and family of one player and three mates of another!

Now the crowd, let's be honest, was pitiful. It was announced as 3,000. (In 2011, Neath got a crowd of 2,300 for a pre-4 Nations game versus Ireland.)

I genuinely thought this would be an easy sell-out. You've got the home team, you've got Sunday 2pm, you've got a ground the Scorpions play at, and furthermore Neath is not actually that hard to get to - it's on the main London to Carmarthen line and is near the M4. Really if you live in South Wales you can get there quite damn easily!!

I walked around Neath before hand and there was no promotion whatsoever. Absolutely nothing. Not a single poster, a single banner, a single notice. Nothing. Zilch. The Christmas lights were all up but sod all about a World Cup match happening in a town of just 20,000 people. I don't know whose to blame about that??

I've seen one bus in Swansea with sponsorship of this match, dunno whether there was anything in Cardiff. The fact is you cannot go to an area like this and get a 5,000 sell out if you don't advertise the match. Compared to Bristol it was embarrassing.

Other annoying gripes: the Family Stand had bird ###### all over the metal flooring at precise intervals at every intersection of the stand. Clearly some of the covers wern't on properly or it had been taken apart or something, and nobody had bothered to clear up the bird ######.

The cheerleaders were cheerleading in front of the crowd for the first 15 minutes and my god it was annoying. The stands are not raised so you really can't have ball boys/cheerleaders etc on the pitch. Luckily Miss Head Cheerleader took them away after 15.

The Premier Sports interviewer lady didn't know who the Cook Islands coach was!!

I feel sorry to her for having to ask stupid questions to players at HT but my god the responses she received where just head-in-hands phrases. This practice needs to stop now it's irritating and unprofessional.

The loudspeakers were ear-shattering. Both in how loud they were and in how grainy everything sounded. They never bothered to fade the music in and out, instead it was a simple Play and Stop process. I swear an old man next to me was having heart attacks after every try!!

Also saw no programme sellers. Just overall it struck you as being pretty shabby!!

Wales definitely need to do something for 2017. We've done a France, on home turf. This was a fantastic opportunity for rugby league in Wales - everybody likes a winning team - but they missed the boat big time.

So glad to hear though that Tonga won, and thus that Scotland are now through!!

Time to take stock after the World Cup has finished. The crowd in South Wales today was really poor. Wrexham has always struck me as a better bet for expansion into Wales.

Please, Please, can we have a coach with a can do attitude. A coach that picks the right team.

Both Crusaders players were neglected but scored when they played. Roets scored twice at Wrexham, and twice at Neath. Yet he wasn't even picked for the Millenium.

Don't write Wales off - WE ARE better than this.

No sour grapes, boys.

We are out.: -

- Come on Scotland! ... do it for the blokes who are nowhere near an England call-up

- Come on England! ... do it for Superleague

- Come on England, Australia and New Zealand! ... do it to show the RU trundlers and the broadsheet press up.

Time to take stock after the World Cup has finished. The crowd in South Wales today was really poor. Wrexham has always struck me as a better bet for expansion into Wales.

Unless you're already there Neath isn't really the most enticing venue.

The Welsh RU have never been other than passive-obstructive when supposedly promoting Challenge Cup Finals etc. So, I'd go for support from a soccer stadium and/or Pontypool RUFC (who are in long-term dispute with the WRU) to stage a game in South Wales

Merthyr has a 10,000 capacity and a new 3G pitch

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/merthyrtown/photos/3g-pitch-415246.html#image=8930466

Mind you, they'd need extra guard dogs to look after the carpark during the game.

;)

Pontypool has a capacity of around 8000 and is possibly be the most picturesque rugby ground in Britain

250px-Pontypool_Rugby_Ground_-_geograph.

I was really disappointed with today in terms of what happened off the field. What happened to supposedly selling out the main stand? It was just about half full... The crowd, appalling.

My biggest gripe however, games like this need to convince neutrals and newcomers to return to our events. I've read about major improvements to Derwent Park and whatnot and I bet they were well received. The toilets behind the terracing at Neath were a throwback to the 70's, the entrance flooded by a 2 foot long murky puddle meaning children had to be carried over, elderly people helped over and adults lining up to jump over. Pathetic.

Neath needs to be forgotten IMO. Scorpions aside who I still believe would be better off elswhere in South Wales, we need to do better. Today will be long forgotten I'm my memory. I love rugby league and I love my country, put the two together and great! But I left with many many questions over the future today.

Even though I followed the score on bro's fancyphone, reading this thread just goes to show that scorelines aren't always reflective. It's a shame Wales bombed out the way the did - I'm also sure the World Cup organisers are also scowling, booking Wrexham for their group's quarter final.

However, this thread needs to keep up RLWC2013 tradition and make it past 100 replies! :angry:

The first thing Wales need to do is get rid of Isteyn Harris, who's once again shown that he's not head coach material. It was like watching the Crusaders' second season at Wrexham all over again.

Wales really missed the experience of some players from the last few seasons. Harris couldn't replicate this on his own.

I was really disappointed with today in terms of what happened off the field. What happened to supposedly selling out the main stand? It was just about half full... The crowd, appalling.

My biggest gripe however, games like this need to convince neutrals and newcomers to return to our events. I've read about major improvements to Derwent Park and whatnot and I bet they were well received. The toilets behind the terracing at Neath were a throwback to the 70's, the entrance flooded by a 2 foot long murky puddle meaning children had to be carried over, elderly people helped over and adults lining up to jump over. Pathetic.

Neath needs to be forgotten IMO. Scorpions aside who I still believe would be better off elswhere in South Wales, we need to do better. Today will be long forgotten I'm my memory. I love rugby league and I love my country, put the two together and great! But I left with many many questions over the future today.

I have to admit Welshmagpie, yesterdays experience in Neath left me, regrettably,  totallly underwhelmed. Having lived in South Wales all my life, being force fed a diet of Rugby Union by the media is par of the course.  As my mums family all live in Leeds though, I've always had a passing interest in Rugby Lague but never gone to a game, the World Cup was therefore an ideal opportunity to change this.  I took my family to the opening fixtures in Cardiff, which we all really enjoyed, and on the back of this, decided to book tickets for yesterdays game in Neath, and I will be going to the final with my girlfriends uncle.  I was hoping that yesterdays trip would inspire me to maybe go and watch some Scorpions games next season but this didn't hapen.  I wasn't expecting a magnificent state of the art stadium, but I also wasn't expecting a stadium that was a throwback to the 70's and 80's.  Ramshackle isn't the word.  I glad I didn't use the toilets!   A lick of paint and a good scrub may have helped!  World Cup games don't come around very often do they.  This was definitely a lost opportunity.  No promotion at all in town, appalling!  I wonder whether the residents of the houses opposite the outside of the main stand actually realised what event was occuring on their doorstep!

There was also nothing at all to suggest that a rugby league team actually play games there, where was the promotion?  I would have appreciated representatives of the Scorpions maybe handing out flyers, and spreading the word.  Maybe then I would have been tempted.  I really do fear for the future of rugby league in South Wales after yesterday and do really feel sorry for the team.  They deserve better, but unfortunately, the casual fan will see three losses, and have no interest.  This was always going to be the worst attended game of the tournament given the low capacity, but the ground should of been filled yesterday.  It's the least the welsh public could have done.  Maybe the team IS more appreciated in North Wales, where perversely, Rugby Union tends to struggle and focus less. 

Sorry to be so negative, but I was very disappointed.  On a brighter note, my two children actually enjoyed standing at a game! 

I have to admit Welshmagpie, yesterdays experience in Neath left me, regrettably,  totallly underwhelmed. Having lived in South Wales all my life, being force fed a diet of Rugby Union by the media is par of the course.  As my mums family all live in Leeds though, I've always had a passing interest in Rugby Lague but never gone to a game, the World Cup was therefore an ideal opportunity to change this.  I took my family to the opening fixtures in Cardiff, which we all really enjoyed, and on the back of this, decided to book tickets for yesterdays game in Neath, and I will be going to the final with my girlfriends uncle.  I was hoping that yesterdays trip would inspire me to maybe go and watch some Scorpions games next season but this didn't hapen.  I wasn't expecting a magnificent state of the art stadium, but I also wasn't expecting a stadium that was a throwback to the 70's and 80's.  Ramshackle isn't the word.  I glad I didn't use the toilets!   A lick of paint and a good scrub may have helped!  World Cup games don't come around very often do they.  This was definitely a lost opportunity.  No promotion at all in town, appalling!  I wonder whether the residents of the houses opposite the outside of the main stand actually realised what event was occuring on their doorstep!

There was also nothing at all to suggest that a rugby league team actually play games there, where was the promotion?  I would have appreciated representatives of the Scorpions maybe handing out flyers, and spreading the word.  Maybe then I would have been tempted.  I really do fear for the future of rugby league in South Wales after yesterday and do really feel sorry for the team.  They deserve better, but unfortunately, the casual fan will see three losses, and have no interest.  This was always going to be the worst attended game of the tournament given the low capacity, but the ground should of been filled yesterday.  It's the least the welsh public could have done.  Maybe the team IS more appreciated in North Wales, where perversely, Rugby Union tends to struggle and focus less. 

Sorry to be so negative, but I was very disappointed.  On a brighter note, my two children actually enjoyed standing at a game! 

I am sorry you had such a disappointing day. Result aside things can always be better. In hindsight maybe Neath wasn't the best choice of venue for such an occasion. In my opinion the local authority didn't back it as well as Wrexham council have but it was probably important for Scorpions that the game was played on our 'home' ground. Unfortunately the lick of paint and tidy up you request would be at the behest of Neath RFC and probably the local authority-again beyond the remit of RLWC 2013.

Rugby League in Wales continues to be a long term 'project', there are no short term fixes, we have to continue to grow and not worry about the perceived lack of media interest (even though that is at times galling to put it mildly). The media are fed stuff on an almost daily basis but they choose not to use it.

Please stick with it, all the regulars are a friendly lot.

As a season ticket holder for the Scorpions the lack of ANY acknowledgment that the Scorpions will be starting the season at the SAME ground in little over 2 months was absolutely staggering. We had nearly 10 times the amount of people in that ground yesterday than for the last Scorpions game I attended.

Even some leaflets giving basic information like website, when the season is starting (as most union supporters would not know), price of tickets etc would maybe have tempted a few people to give it a go because in fairness when Wales began playing the 'Welsh way' rather than the 'Wigan way' in the 2nd half we saw some nice tries and the crowd started to get behind the team.

Neath is not the place and NEVER will be the place for a team in south Wales but the biggest problem at the moment is if there is still a team to start next season will there be any players left!

There are signs of a conveyor belt of players coming through the club who are choosing Rugby League over Rugby Union as their sport and hopefully they will be given the chance to follow the pathways that are being set up.

I am sorry you had such a disappointing day. Result aside things can always be better. In hindsight maybe Neath wasn't the best choice of venue for such an occasion. In my opinion the local authority didn't back it as well as Wrexham council have but it was probably important for Scorpions that the game was played on our 'home' ground. Unfortunately the lick of paint and tidy up you request would be at the behest of Neath RFC and probably the local authority-again beyond the remit of RLWC 2013.

Rugby League in Wales continues to be a long term 'project', there are no short term fixes, we have to continue to grow and not worry about the perceived lack of media interest (even though that is at times galling to put it mildly). The media are fed stuff on an almost daily basis but they choose not to use it.

Please stick with it, all the regulars are a friendly lot.

As a season ticket holder for the Scorpions the lack of ANY acknowledgment that the Scorpions will be starting the season at the SAME ground in little over 2 months was absolutely staggering. We had nearly 10 times the amount of people in that ground yesterday than for the last Scorpions game I attended.

Even some leaflets giving basic information like website, when the season is starting (as most union supporters would not know), price of tickets etc would maybe have tempted a few people to give it a go because in fairness when Wales began playing the 'Welsh way' rather than the 'Wigan way' in the 2nd half we saw some nice tries and the crowd started to get behind the team.

Neath is not the place and NEVER will be the place for a team in south Wales but the biggest problem at the moment is if there is still a team to start next season will there be any players left!

There are signs of a conveyor belt of players coming through the club who are choosing Rugby League over Rugby Union as their sport and hopefully they will be given the chance to follow the pathways that are being set up.

First up, I apologize for such a negative post.  In hindsight, I think it was borne of frustration, and I didn't think about the hard work that it undoubtedly being done behind the scenes.  As you mentioned crusadin_photoman, there is no short term fix, but hopefully the future will be brighter for our national team.  It would be hypercritical of me not to make an effort, and attend some live games next season, and hope that rugby league in Wales grows as it deserves.  The aim of the World Cup organizers is to expand the game and create more interest, which I believe it is doing.  I've been glued to the internet for any news, and been watching as many games as I can.  I certainly didn't think a game like Scotland v USA would command my attention before the tournament. With this in mind, and after your replies, I've decided to make a big effort to attend some Scorpions games next season.I am after all, only half hour away from Neath.  Otherwise, what is the point in ranting, and not doing anything about it! 

First up, I apologize for such a negative post.  In hindsight, I think it was borne of frustration, and I didn't think about the hard work that it undoubtedly being done behind the scenes.  As you mentioned crusadin_photoman, there is no short term fix, but hopefully the future will be brighter for our national team.  It would be hypercritical of me not to make an effort, and attend some live games next season, and hope that rugby league in Wales grows as it deserves.  The aim of the World Cup organizers is to expand the game and create more interest, which I believe it is doing.  I've been glued to the internet for any news, and been watching as many games as I can.  I certainly didn't think a game like Scotland v USA would command my attention before the tournament. With this in mind, and after your replies, I've decided to make a big effort to attend some Scorpions games next season.I am after all, only half hour away from Neath.  Otherwise, what is the point in ranting, and not doing anything about it! 

Good man...come and say hello. My user name should point you in the right direction!

Strange sort of day, really. The atmosphere in the ground was virtually none existent throughout, despite the best efforts of Ina Tiko, the Cook Islands resident drummer/musician/cultural officer, to get things going. The home crowd did get livelier in the second half, but it was still pretty flat. I was disappointed for the Welsh Rugby League people I know that it was such a damp squib - I know how much it means to them and to see that must have been hugely disappointing.

The celebrations from the Cook Islands told their own story - getting their first ever World Cup win was a big thing for them. However, with the talent at their disposal they really should have done better, beating USA at least. Still, they were happy with their one win and the celebrations back at the team hotel last night were memorable. Kevin Iro and Charles Carlson, the President of Cook Islands Rugby League, were good enough to invite their small band of supporters back to the hotel to have dinner and drinks with the team. It was wonderful seeing a room full of players, supporters and officials singing traditional songs.

Apparently several of the players were discovered this morning asleep on the floor of the team room, beer bottles still in their hands. I guess it was a heavy night, but they earned it.

It's been great spending time with the Cooks and helping them out. I have a lot of love for them and the nation now, and no doubt I'll be proudly sporting my Cook Islands tracksuit top and polo shirt for the rest of the tournament. I'm sure Ian 'Muddy' Waters, Bristol's "superfan" (and confirmed legend) will be wearing his, too. He ended up leaving the ground with half the Cook Islands branding from round the pitch. Oh, and a banner from the town centre of Neath! Yes, they did exist!

Told you in previous posts after that game they had against Wales Select they would struggle and Iestyn has no enthusiasm or character about him as again previously said and this rubs of on players.

It's nothing short of a disgrace that Scorpion supporters don't even know if they have a team next year. Big rumours that Wales are struggling but hey lets dress it up and pretend they ain't

Completely agree with all you have said.

Wales Rugby League, the team, Iestyn Harris, Neath PT Council, The Gnoll - it's all been very shoddy for what could have been a fantastic event and opportunity for Welsh Rugby League and Wales.

Oh yes I did not hear the word Scorpions mention once.

And to give an indication of the level of promotion for the match the wooden board outside the ground facing the main road said "NEXT MATCH - NEATH RFC v NEWPORT RFC". They couldn't even be bothered to promote it there.

Never again should the RFL work with clearly Anti-Rugby League councils and grounds for our major events. NEVER.