Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

10/11/13 - World Cup Match 19: Wales v Cook Islands

Who will win?   6 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wales by 13 points or more
    • Wales by 7 to 12 points
    • Wales by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • Cook Islands by 1 to 6 points
    • Cook Islands by 7 to 12 points
    • Cook Islands by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

85 posts in this topic

Neath was chosen pretty much because the Scorpions played there as far as I know -the council also were the only venue not to stump up cash for the game -hence the lack of promotion. Certainly this was the scenario in May and I doubt it changed afterwards.

The Scorpions haven't had the backing of the town or the council and clearly need/will move for next season. More than that I am unable to say further, but they will exist next season.

WRL needs to engage fully with the RL community in S Wales - possibly with an open meeting or such, so that the speculation and Chinese whispers stop and everyone can pull in the same direction.

There are many good and wiling people to assist, but they need to have the direction and just as importantly, the communication from WRL. At present, I fully appreciate the need to rein in some information, but for the good of the game something needs to come from the Board in the near future.

NW is doing great. We need every aspect of SW to be doing the same

Completely agree with all you have said.

Wales Rugby League, the team, Iestyn Harris, Neath PT Council, The Gnoll - it's all been very shoddy for what could have been a fantastic event and opportunity for Welsh Rugby League and Wales.

Oh yes I did not hear the word Scorpions mention once.

And to give an indication of the level of promotion for the match the wooden board outside the ground facing the main road said "NEXT MATCH - NEATH RFC v NEWPORT RFC". They couldn't even be bothered to promote it there.

Never again should the RFL work with clearly Anti-Rugby League councils and grounds for our major events. NEVER.

I agree entirely.

Neath was chosen pretty much because the Scorpions played there as far as I know -the council also were the only venue not to stump up cash for the game -hence the lack of promotion. Certainly this was the scenario in May and I doubt it changed afterwards.

The Scorpions haven't had the backing of the town or the council and clearly need/will move for next season. More than that I am unable to say further, but they will exist next season.

WRL needs to engage fully with the RL community in S Wales - possibly with an open meeting or such, so that the speculation and Chinese whispers stop and everyone can pull in the same direction.

There are many good and wiling people to assist, but they need to have the direction and just as importantly, the communication from WRL. At present, I fully appreciate the need to rein in some information, but for the good of the game something needs to come from the Board in the near future.

NW is doing great. We need every aspect of SW to be doing the same

This doesn't sound good whatsoever. In fact it sounds pretty shambolic. The last thing we need is for South Wales to become London. We've already uprooted from Bridgend and now we're doing the same with Neath.

Firstly I really don't think it's a good idea to put a key team (Scorpions) in a town where the council clearly doesn't want the game to be played there. South Wales is certainly not lacking in medium sized towns, many of whom have grounds that are C1 quality. I would very surprised if every town council in South Wales is that hostile to the game.

Secondly if the RFL and WRL knew this, but for whatever reason were forced to go with Neath, then they should have put their hands into their own pockets to promote it. It is 5,000 capacity and it is the Welsh national team come on it is not the hardest task in the world. Even Limerick had that and they had all the odds stacked up against them. I was surprised that it hadn't been sold out and I was wondering whether the walk-up would make it a sell-out.

Thirdly clearly you do know more than you are telling us PYB Crusader!! So come on spill the beans which towns have been considered??

Fourthly you are clearly right on the strategy. The WRL need to come out within a month, with a document, which plans out everything leading up to the 2017 World Cup:

* Where they want SWS and NWC to be

* How many professional players they aspire to have in the Welsh team

* The aim for 2017 (Semis? Quarters? etc)

* Test matches for 2014

* How many kids they want playing (and how they will increase that number Year on year)

* How many amateur clubs they want playing and how players in those amateur teams

* Concrete plans for any Academies including the one in Maesteg.

* A plan to actually connect the North (Wrexham) with the South because atm I don't think they really are connected much.

* A plan to create a supporters club for the Dragons so that fans can go over to Australia 2017 and so that we can assure that Wales matches actually get decent attendances from now on.

* Coaching staffs particularly what will the role of Harris be in the future.

* Sponsorship plans

We are being kept in the dark and after these performances and murmurings we deserve to know more.

This doesn't sound good whatsoever. In fact it sounds pretty shambolic. The last thing we need is for South Wales to become London. We've already uprooted from Bridgend and now we're doing the same with Neath.

The club and the game needs to put down roots. As far as I can see the only foothold the game has is at the Maesteg Academy - theres an office there, staff on site and a good working relationship with both the school and the local councillors (most of whom are school governors)

Firstly I really don't think it's a good idea to put a key team (Scorpions) in a town where the council clearly doesn't want the game to be played there. South Wales is certainly not lacking in medium sized towns, many of whom have grounds that are C1 quality. I would very surprised if every town council in South Wales is that hostile to the game.

Id go along with that but youd be surprised at how the indiffernce of a local council can restrict things. Wrexham Council clearly have strong support for NWC and look at the strides made there.

Secondly if the RFL and WRL knew this, but for whatever reason were forced to go with Neath, then they should have put their hands into their own pockets to promote it. It is 5,000 capacity and it is the Welsh national team come on it is not the hardest task in the world. Even Limerick had that and they had all the odds stacked up against them. I was surprised that it hadn't been sold out and I was wondering whether the walk-up would make it a sell-out.

Couldnt comment on that, but the 'deal' was done under a previous regime at the WRL so have no knowledge. NPT Council, as with all councils in Wales is on a budget freeze and wouldnt have put money into promotion this year. The promotion was almost zero though.

Thirdly clearly you do know more than you are telling us PYB Crusader!! So come on spill the beans which towns have been considered??

Sorry, I cant, but you do wonder if Maesteg would be a good option.....

Fourthly you are clearly right on the strategy. The WRL need to come out within a month, with a document, which plans out everything leading up to the 2017 World Cup:

* Where they want SWS and NWC to be

* How many professional players they aspire to have in the Welsh team

* The aim for 2017 (Semis? Quarters? etc)

* Test matches for 2014

* How many kids they want playing (and how they will increase that number Year on year)

* How many amateur clubs they want playing and how players in those amateur teams

* Concrete plans for any Academies including the one in Maesteg.

* A plan to actually connect the North (Wrexham) with the South because atm I don't think they really are connected much.

* A plan to create a supporters club for the Dragons so that fans can go over to Australia 2017 and so that we can assure that Wales matches actually get decent attendances from now on.

* Coaching staffs particularly what will the role of Harris be in the future.

* Sponsorship plans

Its ambitious and probably a bit more than could be tackled at the minute but I like the cut of your jib.

We are being kept in the dark and after these performances and murmurings we deserve to know more.

Agreed.

Thought Wales were the biggest disappointment of the World Cup, and Neath the biggest let down. It's tough going with the Wales rugby league side. In my blog http://southwakefieldsharks.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/wales-gee-theyre-hard-work/ I consider how you'd describe Wales if they were your girlfriend. "Gee, she's hard work" pretty much hits the nail on the head!

Thought Wales were the biggest disappointment of the World Cup, and Neath the biggest let down. It's tough going with the Wales rugby league side. In my blog http://southwakefieldsharks.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/wales-gee-theyre-hard-work/ I consider how you'd describe Wales if they were your girlfriend. "Gee, she's hard work" pretty much hits the nail on the head!

Shameless plug aside I think the jist is correct.

I consider how you'd describe Wales if they were your girlfriend.

You should be so lucky!!

Although you surname gives you a sporting chance.

;):tongue: