Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry the Leit

Recent immigrants to the UK

173 posts in this topic

Good read about your grandfather, an excellent influence - you're lucky to have had him.

The problem with you not dealing with the racially prejudiced, whilst I see your strategy, is that some of them have not learnt in the many years that they've been here and the rest of us must endure their bile.

Yep, that's a very fair point.  As we've discussed elsewhere, I've yet to receive a single reported post about racist commentary in this thread.  Until someone does then I'm posting as an individual, not a moderator.  Even then, I'd be tempted to get John to do the moderation as I'm not sure I could be objective enough.

Good read about your grandfather, an excellent influence - you're lucky to have had him.

I'd disagree with the belting though. Something that should never be done to a child.

Wow!

Firstly, first cousin marriages cause a small increase in likelihood of congenital disorders showing theirselves as if there are recessive genes that have them then they are more likely to be able to get it from both sides, leading to it being exhibited. Same would apply for any positive genetic traits too, so if they could be congenitally predisposed to be more resistant to certain diseases. This is the less offensive comment dealt with.

As for "genetic disorder" meaning hit headed? How on earth do you draw that conclusion. Cones out of the same drawer as the idea that anyone with any sort if mental illness is a "nutjob" who should be kept away from normal people as they're probably dangerous. Frankly unbelievable prejudice.

Leaving aside the "hot headed" bit.

First cousin marriages might slightly increase of genetic abnormalities but when it is done generation after generation then the effects can be very profound. It is not something to be dismissed casually.

I'd disagree with the belting though. Something that should never be done to a child.

I share this view too. Different times.

I have no problem's of any one coming from some third world dump hole/war zone coming over to the UK for a better life and the perk's of our system but they must integrate as part of the deal and I have seen some positive examples like the number of Turkish/Iranian's working/opening up excellent barber shop's and proper Cafe's/restaurant's.

But I still feel if we got to let in e.g. 200000 a year then we must see 400000 leave our shores for pastures new.

what should this integration consist of?

Would you say the uk's jewish population is 'integrated' for instance?

I live a couple of miles away from where almost all of Leeds' jewish population lives-one of the biggest jewish populations in the country, having moved out from central Leeds, Chapeltown and now Moortown/Street lane/Roundhay/Shadwell  over the last couple of centuries. The jewish population of leeds is a special part of the city's life, but still lives for the most part in an enclave with its own schools, youth clubs and naturally places of worshil. I woud sasy they were 'integrated because of the part they have played and continue to play in the life of the city alongside other ethnic groups-pretty much like those of pakistani and other ethnic backgrounds.

If people arrive in a new country they feel not unnaturally alien, that increases when they face open and sometimes savage hostility and rejection.

It isn't that long ago and it might still go on, that neighbourhoods banded together to buy vacant houses to stop 'them' coming in. 

what aspects of peoples' lives are they supposed to abandon before you would consider them 'integrated'

Leaving aside the "hot headed" bit.

First cousin marriages might slightly increase of genetic abnormalities but when it is done generation after generation then the effects can be very profound. It is not something to be dismissed casually.

Cheer's thats what I should of added.

what should this integration consist of?

Would you say the uk's jewish population is 'integrated' for instance?

I live a couple of miles away from where almost all of Leeds' jewish population lives-one of the biggest jewish populations in the country, having moved out from central Leeds, Chapeltown and now Moortown/Street lane/Roundhay/Shadwell  over the last couple of centuries. The jewish population of leeds is a special part of the city's life, but still lives for the most part in an enclave with its own schools, youth clubs and naturally places of worshil. I woud sasy they were 'integrated because of the part they have played and continue to play in the life of the city alongside other ethnic groups-pretty much like those of pakistani and other ethnic backgrounds.

If people arrive in a new country they feel not unnaturally alien, that increases when they face open and sometimes savage hostility and rejection.

It isn't that long ago and it might still go on, that neighbourhoods banded together to buy vacant houses to stop 'them' coming in. 

what aspects of peoples' lives are they supposed to abandon before you would consider them 'integrated'

Fair point and same to for the Chinese community but at least I walk around Chinatown and Jewish area's and not feel threeatened unlike part's of Bradford, Alum Rock, Tower hamlet's, Moss Side, Peckham etc and yes there be a number of white rough council estate's as well if any one like to add.

Fair point and same to for the Chinese community but at least I walk around Chinatown and Jewish area's and not feel threeatened unlike part's of Bradford, Alum Rock, Tower hamlet's, Moss Side, Peckham etc and yes there be a number of white rough council estate's as well if any one like to add.

so what aspects of peoples' lives are they supposed to abandon to be integrated

are the jews 'integrated' or as you say the Chinese.?

so what aspects of peoples' lives are they supposed to abandon to be integrated

are the jews 'integrated' or as you say the Chinese.?

Honour killings? Threatening to kill people who offend their religious beliefs? Sharia law?

Honour killings? Threatening to kill people who offend their religious beliefs?

If only we could make this stick in Glasgow and Belfast.

Honour killings? Threatening to kill people who offend their religious beliefs? Sharia law?

they have to be abandoned since they are all illegal in this country

if people behave in this way: and they do on rare occassions then they are breaking the law

they have to be abandoned since they are all illegal in this country

if people behave in this way: and they do on rare occassions then they are breaking the law

Rare?

There are not as many honour killings as there would be if young females weren't scared stiff of offending their families. That's why so many British-raised young people endure being effectively sold into marriage to foreign men and women that they have never met before.

To be fair, some are rebelling:

http://www.asianimage.co.uk/news/10645500.Seminar_in_Bradford_to_highlight_issue_of_forced_marriages/

There are not as many honour killings as there would be if young females weren't scared stiff of offending their families. That's why so many British-raised young people endure being effectively sold into marriage to foreign men and women that they have never met before.

To be fair, some are rebelling:

http://www.asianimage.co.uk/news/10645500.Seminar_in_Bradford_to_highlight_issue_of_forced_marriages/

I didn't have you down as a champion of women's rights. I was just reason that you thought a convicted rapist deserved a retrial because he had a Facebook group.

I am British.

I believe that all British citizens are equal, and deserve equality of freedom, choice and opportunity.

By the same token, I believe that all people are equal before the law, and the law should be applied to all people equally.

I also believe that justice should be done and seen to be done.

Forced marriage is slavery.

I am British.

I believe that all British citizens are equal, and deserve equality of freedom, choice and opportunity.

By the same token, I believe that all people are equal before the law, and the law should be applied to all people equally.

I also believe that justice should be done and seen to be done.

Forced marriage is slavery.

forced marriage is illegal in this country

How many honour killings are there?? You seem to imply that you're well clued up on this.

Feel free to pretend its not an issue.

forced marriage is illegal in this country

And is against the teachings of Islam.

So is breaking the speed limit on a public highway.

And?

Feel free to pretend its not an issue.

I'm unaware of the scale of this issue. That's different to pretending it's not an issue.

Larry and the Dr. Feelgood fan just pretend nothing happen's and there is not a problem and must remind them there was once was a vibrant West Indian population in Bradford but that has changed since the early 1990's.

I'm unaware of the scale of this issue. That's different to pretending it's not an issue.

Frankie asked what customs people could leave behind before integrating; I gave a few examples. You then started implying I might be some sort of expert about the matter, which I might be but it's irrelevant to the point. Surely no one would think it is desirable to cling on to things like these? Unless of course they were on some sort of self flagellation trip -not uncommon among people pretending to be left wing.