Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CanningtownRL

World cup legacy?

31 posts in this topic

Legacy isn't about the athletes; it's about establishing infrastructure, growing participation and realising opportunity.

Again, cracking post and completely agree. The domestic legacy for our game shouldn't be just trying to boost club attendances; that is just a bonus if it happens. What really needs to happen is more people playing the game at grassroot levels as this will wider the player pool, increase funding from Sports England et al and have a much wider impact on the game rather than a few extra quid ending up in the pockets of the SL clubs.

The short term effect will be positive and there will be a little more money.  It will give a small boost to the game, particularly in nations like Samoa and Cook Islands.

However, this would only be short term and the long term establishment of the international game is vital.  Hopefully, this will be a legacy.  It will demonstrate that the international game is profitable and good for the clubs.  We always get far better coverage and interest for international, but many people manage to convince themselves otherwise. 

Bang on. While the World Cup has been great so far I think there's still room for cynicism and precaution.

Let's not forget that Rugby union was apparently flying high after the 2003 world cup in Australia. It's not any more. Maintaining even a fraction of the interest, attendances and positivity we're currently receiving will be a very difficult task.

Some excellent posts on here.

Jonty, you were busy today with those ideas and framework!

The only problem we have, when it comes around to the International game is Australia. They have a serious lack of forward thought of 'a The Bigger Picture'. They are so dominant, that your thoughts on the expanded club formats and a structured International programme, would be a hard sell to them.

They have always bleated on that nobody is interested in League once their season is over. Well we have shown that in this World Cup, that we are and other countries are.

The best thing for the international game, is if they get beat again. Then we can start to bargain in a strong position and get the game back on track.

Hopefully this WC has laid the ghost of 2000.

Jonty- Excellent posts

You are spot on with how RL is perceived in your area and a successful local team is key. As you can guess I'm from the heartlands but have lived all over the Uk and recently worked near Iffley Road at Garsington so applaud Oxford's efforts.

The key to youth teams is success of a local outfit. As you can see from my Avatar I support youth rugby and in Warrington there has always been a base but I've noticed over the past few years a new vigour that builds on the Wolves success (or failure at OT). Even so the teams that our youth teams have to beat are the Wigan and St Helens* ones that treat the whole game seriously from U7's onwards. I can't speak for t'other side of the Pennines but i'll bet it's the same near Leeds. Kids look to their heroes, so we need strong representation away from the M62. The Bronco situation makes me sad and I wish the Skolars well, but we need concerted youth effort in these areas (and Oxford) . Welcome Toulouse! If the kids are interested then the parents follow.

I love this game and every little thing that raises the profile is welcomed (Emirates sponsorship! Doctor Who-kash! We're heading in the right direction) Shout from the roof tops just how good the RLWC is. It will give us a temporary boost but the grass roots need to spread and this comes from youth development with parental support.

Let's all get out and shout about the legacy- I said to a Scottish former amateur RU player at work today that I needed to get back to watch Scot-USA. His reply- "I didn't know we had an RL team. Where do they play at home in Scotland? and wait for it ........................is the RL pitch the same size as an RU pitch!" We have a long way to go.

Edit * Waterhead from Oldham are pretty good too- Sinfield, McDermott, Harris- say no more!

kick on from the world cup on the international front as things in the broadcasting rights are going to get interesting over the next 5-10 years if the reports are true about BT paying £1b for champion league rights.