Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ckn

Benefit sanction targets

102 posts in this topic

Benefit fraud is also dwarfed by farming subsidies.

The single farm payment is £209 per hectare.

Payments for areas of scientific interest - prevalent throughout Pennine Britain to maintain flora and fauna @ £12 per acre. Most farms will have 80 or so hectares - an extra £2,400

Payments for maintaining boundaries. I think it's similar at £2,400 for a typical farm

Payments for not using gates (stints) on common land, (basically payments for not farming). I have 2.5 gates that net £250 a year so a typical farm will net £20,000. Thse are important for carbon off setting.

So without getting out of bed I can net over £40K for owning land on a typical farm of 80 hectares.

There are 18.7 million hectares of farming land in the UK accruing a potential £9b in subsidies for land owners, without a seed being sown or a lamb being born.

Benefit fraud is somewhat dwarfed by the redistribution of wealth to land owners in the UK.

Are religion and ethnicity inextricably linked?

They are in the dim manichean world which Wolford inhabits

Benefit fraud is also dwarfed by farming subsidies.

The single farm payment is £209 per hectare.

Payments for areas of scientific interest - prevalent throughout Pennine Britain to maintain flora and fauna @ £12 per acre. Most farms will have 80 or so hectares - an extra £2,400

Payments for maintaining boundaries. I think it's similar at £2,400 for a typical farm

Payments for not using gates (stints) on common land, (basically payments for not farming). I have 2.5 gates that net £250 a year so a typical farm will net £20,000. Thse are important for carbon off setting.

So without getting out of bed I can net over £40K for owning land on a typical farm of 80 hectares.

There are 18.7 million hectares of farming land in the UK accruing a potential £9b in subsidies for land owners, without a seed being sown or a lamb being born.

Benefit fraud is somewhat dwarfed by the redistribution of wealth to land owners in the UK.

Major Major Major's father in "Catch 22" was a farmer. He opposed all state subsidies except those for farmers. He received a subsidy for not growing alfalfa (whatever that is.) He spent his entire life not growing alfalfa and would buy up extra land in order to not to grow more alfalfa. He is described as "getting up at the crack of noon in order to not mend harness." Irrelevant perhaps, but your post reminded me of him!

I have 2.5 gates that net £250 a year

Half a gate?

Half a gate?

(pulls back braces...) 'alf a gate, is better than 'alf a stile, is better than nooonne.

I am looking for work in the theatre. ...what do you think?

(pulls back braces...) 'alf a gate, is better than 'alf a stile, is better than nooonne.

I am looking for work in the theatre. ...what do you think?

What are you like with a broom, mop and bucket?

Half a gate?

A "gate" is the number of animals you can feed on an acre of common land to which you hold commoners rights. However the size of the gate varies dependant on the quality of land and what the commoners committee agree.It is also increasingly affected by environmental and ecological concerns.

In my case I can graze 2 ewes with lambs at foot per gate, therefore 2.5 gates allow me to graze 5 ewes and up to 10 lambs on common land to which I have the rights to graze.

Edited: because it didn't make sense to me either

A gate is equivalent to what you can feed on an acre of land but these vary dependant on the quality of land and what the commoners committee agree. It is also increasingly affected by environmental and ecological concerns. In my case I can graze 2 ewes with lambs at foot per gate, therefore 2.5 gates allow me to graze 5 ewes and up to 10 lambs.

To be honest, to most of us that went without saying......

A gate is equivalent to what you can feed on an acre of land but these vary dependant on the quality of land and what the commoners committee agree. It is also increasingly affected by environmental and ecological concerns. In my case I can graze 2 ewes with lambs at foot per gate, therefore 2.5 gates allow me to graze 5 ewes and up to 10 lambs.

I'm going to read this slowly several times.

I'm going to read this slowly several times.

I read it and immediately calculated the number of lamb shanks that it could provide.

I've clearly spent too much time in the sticks.

Basically my freezer is full of dead sheep.

I read it and immediately calculated the number of lamb shanks that it could provide.

I was about to make a borderline racist comment about your lineage and then decided that I would not.

But, if you like, you can imagine that I did anyway.

I was about to make a borderline racist comment about your lineage and then decided that I would not.

But, if you like, you can imagine that I did anyway.

I've asked for the mods to be lenient with your punishment.  

Today's papers are full of a story about a bloke that's just become a pensioner and has never held down a job.

This guy is so lazy he didn't even father his own children.

Today's papers are full of a story about a bloke that's just become a pensioner and has never held down a job.

Prince Edward?

Edit: It's Charlie Windsor isn't it.  I'm on tour, with my band, and it didn't make the news over here.  You need to move on from this obsession about his ex being somewhat loose.  You've no proof, other than the obvious physical similarities.

Hope they give him a clock or gold watch for long service.

I wonder what he will do with all his free time now?

my fuel payment came through this week: gonna spend it on cider and pizzas

next year I become an OAP: that's the holidays in Benidorm andd the new tattoos sorted

my fuel payment came through this week: gonna spend it on cider and pizzas

You say that as though it's a bad thing. :)

Hope they give him a clock or gold watch for long service.

I wonder what he will do with all his free time now?

Erm, whoooosh?

Benefit fraud is tiny, and compared to other drains on the public purse effectively negligible.

Erm, whoooosh?

Benefit fraud is tiny, and compared to other drains on the public purse effectively negligible.

Errr whoosh.

I've clearly spent too much time in the sticks.

Basically my freezer is full of dead sheep.

You haven't spent that long in the sticks or your freezer would be full of townies.