Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wellsy4HullFC

Steve Prescott

144 posts in this topic

Rugby Football League official statement on the death of Steve Prescott MBE

Rugby League mourns Steve Prescott MBE

The RFL has sent its condolences to the family of Steve Prescott MBE, who has died after a long illness.

Steve, who was capped by both England and Ireland at international level and had successful spells with St Helens and Hull FC, passed away in hospital earlier today. He was 39.

RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood said: "It is with deep sadness that we have learned of the death of Steve Prescott. Our thoughts are with his family at this terribly sad time.

"The word 'hero' is overused in sport but Steve was just that: a role model for every young Rugby League player during his distinguished playing career and an absolute inspiration to all of us off the field.

"Throughout his long illness Steve was never anything other than dignified, noble and brave, not least during his fantastic charity work through the Steve Prescott Foundation which raised hundreds of thousands of pounds for good causes, including the Rugby League Benevolent Fund.

"Steve touched on the lives of a great many people and enriched both Rugby League and the whole of sport with his engaging personality, unselfish efforts and his stoicism in the face of such an aggressive and cruel illness.

“We are all very fortunate to have been associated with Steve. He is going to be much missed.”

If anyone deserves to be remembered its Steve. Rename the Harry Sunderland Trophy for him

Inspirational.

RIP

39 years young, his achievements as a player good,his charity work amazing !!

Thoughts with family and friends

Taught us all to never give up

A gentleman, an inspiration, a true RL legend

My heart goes out to his family and friends

I'd been out since mid-morning and came home, swicthed on the TV for today's game and only then became aware that Steve had died. I choked back tears but the crowds spontaneous burst into applause plunged me into floods of tears!

A man who has won the hearts of many with his courage, good humour and generosity in the face of adversity. A great Rugby League player and a tremendous human being.

True modern day hero. Condoleances to Steve's family and friends.

I'm sure Steve was in the minds of the England and Fiji teams when they got together in their 'prayer huddle' at the end of the match today.

Missed the anthems, the Fiji prayer and the minutes silence because I was stuck in traffic :(

What a great ambassador for our game. What a shame. Best wishes to his family.

Some very moving words from you all.

I can't add much more other than, although I only met him once and that was during his illness, he spoke to me as though he'd known me for years.

"Inspirational" is the word I find most appropriate.

I have no problem with the spontaneous applause during the minute's silence, I found it entirely fitting with the occasion, and one or two of the players obviously did too.

RIP Steve, you will be sorely missed.

Very sad to hear this news. Steve was an inspiration with his charity work and Rugby League has lost a true gentleman and a genuine hero. My deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends. Long may his memory live.

Mick x

Totally agree with all of the comments and tributes.  A great inspiration and a great man.  RIP Steve.

Shocked when I sat down to watch the game to be confronted with the news, hadn't picked it up anywhere else.

The guy just showed so much courage and has been amazing throughout his illness.

A sad day for RL.

Condolences to all his family, friends and all those touched by his amazing charity efforts.

A note on the applause, I thought it off at the time, but on reflection it is the least of worries.

Shocked when I sat down to watch the game to be confronted with the news, hadn't picked it up anywhere else.

The guy just showed so much courage and has been amazing throughout his illness.

A sad day for RL.

Condolences to all his family, friends and all those touched by his amazing charity efforts.

A note on the applause, I thought it off at the time, but on reflection it is the least of worries.

i dont like minute applauses when they are requested due to issues with crowd control, but there was something quite moving that tge fans decided that after a short silence they wanted to pay their respects with applause.

Ive never seen that before, and I liked what it represented - silence can appear sad yet Steve never lived his final years in a sad way so it feels like it was a good thing to happen.

i dont like minute applauses when they are requested due to issues with crowd control, but there was something quite moving that tge fans decided that after a short silence they wanted to pay their respects with applause.

Ive never seen that before, and I liked what it represented - silence can appear sad yet Steve never lived his final years in a sad way so it feels like it was a good thing to happen.

Nicely put Dave, I can see exactly what you mean.

My thoughts exactly.

I never met him but his courage and example to others on how to meet adversity head on will always be remembered.

The game needs to take its time and find a suitable way to commemorate his life.

Nothing much I can add to this that hasn't been said already. Found out by text just as we got in to the ground. Shed a few tears right there and then. The silence followed by applause was absolutely appropriate. Seemed to me the crowd (as one) felt it appropriate to both mourn & celebrate his life in that one brief moment.

The world in general, and rugby league in particular, was a better place with him around & a poorer place with him gone. RIP.

It was very moving at the ground.

As you say, it started off as a minute's silence as requested but then somebody in the middle of the East Stand started applauding and, well, it just felt the right thing to do so everybody joined in.

It just seemed so right at the time.