Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wellsy4HullFC

Steve Prescott

144 posts in this topic

We should run for him, his memory and his family ; i think we owe him that!

Why not sign up for the St Helens 10K?  It's held in March.  It's organised by the Steve Prescott Foundation as Steve started it up a few years back, one of his initiatives for the town (along with the Taylor Park Challenge and the Pride of St Helens Awards).

I did wonder if it'd be a good gesture if clubs offered to print any shirt with Prescott 1 and to donate all (or a high percentage) of the price to the Steve Prescott Foundation.

Not sure if this is official but let's hope so.

Danny Brough's Scotland jersey for tomorrow night's game...

481004_10152048657606449_1529790935_n.jp

(Unashamedly pinched from elsewhere.)

Why not sign up for the St Helens 10K? It's held in March. It's organised by the Steve Prescott Foundation as Steve started it up a few years back, one of his initiatives for the town (along with the Taylor Park Challenge and the Pride of St Helens Awards).

One reason is it's a heck of a long way from where I live!

Could we not have a Steve Prescott 10 mile walk on the same day as the St Helens walk? I would be happy to organise one at my club.

One reason is it's a heck of a long way from where I live!

Could we not have a Steve Prescott 10 mile walk on the same day as the St Helens walk? I would be happy to organise one at my club.

There were a bunch of Hull fans doing the last one! 

I was only suggesting it because Prescott started it up and it is organised by his charity so I thought running it may be a special way of remembering him, regardless of where you come from.  As a one off.

There were a bunch of Hull fans doing the last one!

I was only suggesting it because Prescott started it up and it is organised by his charity so I thought running it may be a special way of remembering him, regardless of where you come from. As a one off.

Didn't mean to appear mardy. It was just a suggestion that local events around clubs could get more people involved than just those few willing to travel

A lot of smaller events could have quite as an impact.

BBC Radio 5 reports that about 2,000 people turned out for Steve's funeral, including the England squad. A fine send-off.

BBC Radio 5 reports that about 2,000 people turned out for Steve's funeral, including the England squad. A fine send-off.

I went to the service and managed to get a place in the church.  I don't live far away from the church but even so I was glad I went early - an hour beforehand - as the church was full with about 30 minutes still to go.  The England team cut it fine and I think Tomkins and a couple of others had to stay in the doorway of the church as there were no seats left (the church holds over 1000 people).  The service was broadcast to another crowd outside, probably around 1000 strong also at its peak, and it was all very moving.  However, I was entirely undone by Steve's eldest son Taylor and his short eulogy towards the end, especially when he said that he hoped he makes his Dad as proud of him as he was of his Dad.  Tears just wouldn't stay in the eyes at that point I'm afraid! (But we all gave him a huge round of applause)

I went to the service and managed to get a place in the church.  I don't live far away from the church but even so I was glad I went early - an hour beforehand - as the church was full with about 30 minutes still to go.  The England team cut it fine and I think Tomkins and a couple of others had to stay in the doorway of the church as there were no seats left (the church holds over 1000 people).  The service was broadcast to another crowd outside, probably around 1000 strong also at its peak, and it was all very moving.  However, I was entirely undone by Steve's eldest son Taylor and his short eulogy towards the end, especially when he said that he hoped he makes his Dad as proud of him as he was of his Dad.  Tears just wouldn't stay in the eyes at that point I'm afraid! (But we all gave him a huge round of applause)

Thanks for that - a lovely post

I was entirely undone by Steve's eldest son Taylor and his short eulogy towards the end, especially when he said that he hoped he makes his Dad as proud of him as he was of his Dad. Tears just wouldn't stay in the eyes at that point I'm afraid! (But we all gave him a huge round of applause)

Tears are flowing in my house after reading that. Brave lad!

it was a very emotional service, many fans from other clubs were there to pay their respects and the service was interspersed with periods of applause for young taylor and other mentions of steve.

Lots of current and ex players stood outside the church, Dave Hadfield stood near bye visibly upset. very sad day RIP Steve.

People may have seen the coverage of Steve Prescott's funeral on TV tonight if they live in the NW (North West Tonight and Granada News both covered it) or if they have Sky (Sky Sports News covered it) but just in case you didn't, then if you scroll to the bottom of this article from our local newspaper you will hear the speech given by the courageous young Taylor which made grown men (and me) cry:

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/10817391.VIDEO__Taylor_Prescott_delivers_tear_jerking_speech_at_father_s_funeral/?ref=twtrec

It was a sad, sad day today. But let us use it in a positive way, remember Steve's life, career and his great endeavours off the field of play. All give where you can, to his charity, run the 10k if you can, organize something local if need be, but just be positive in life, as he was.

A fitting memory would be for those England boys to lift the World Cup and honour it to his family.