Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wellsy4HullFC

Could Fiji sustain an NRL side?

26 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd throw this one out there. Looking like they're the 4th best nation in the world (again). Could they sustain a team in the NRL? They're the fourth largest Pacific nation. There's a couple of large stadiums in the country. They've got talent and a proud following. Why not?

(I know nothing of Fiji by the way, so would be interesting to hear people's opinions!)

Just thought I'd throw this one out there. Looking like they're the 4th best nation in the world (again). Could they sustain a team in the NRL? They're the fourth largest Pacific nation. There's a couple of large stadiums in the country. They've got talent and a proud following. Why not?

(I know nothing of Fiji by the way, so would be interesting to hear people's opinions!)

Great shout and like I've said as a sport we need to put the international development first and would love the nrl to help develop these pacifi nations as we could potentially have a few more teams that can really challenge the big 3. Like you say Fiji have done really well and are now getting more competitive very year a proper rugby nation and a bit like png the aim should be to get a side in the Queensland cup then look to build

I'd have a franchise in Fiji based in Suva tomorrow but sadly I can't really see it happening anytime soon as like most things it comes down to money. I think I read somewhere that it costs between $10-$20 million a year to run a NRL team and with Fiji being a developing country where would they get that sort of money from? Also a big part of a franchise being accepted by the NRL is the new potential tv markets a new club can offer for the money men of the NRL and with Fiji being a developing country I can't see many Fijians having enough disposable to buy cable tv.

Didn't the Fiji residents beat the Australian based Fijians in a trial match too?? That suggests to me there is pleanty of untapped potential there.... I've really taken to these Fijians so glad I went to spotland for the Ireland game hope to see them at wembley too

Didn't the Fiji residents beat the Australian based Fijians in a trial match too?? That suggests to me there is pleanty of untapped potential there.... I've really taken to these Fijians so glad I went to spotland for the Ireland game hope to see them at wembley too

Not sure if it would be economically practical to include an NRL side playing home games in Fiji.

Yes, it's only a little further away from the East coast of Aus than Auckland is (NZ Warriors), but I'm not sure that there would be the required commercial clout in Fiji when compared with New Zealand.

Personally I can see these points being a sensible plan for the short to medium term future:

- Further development of the Fijian domestic league(s).

- Development opportunities/close ties to existing NRL sides to enable domestic players to play in existing NRL sides.

- Guaranteed annual home (and away) international fixtures against other Pacific Nations.

- A guaranteed annual visit from one or more of GB (or UK home nations), NZ or Australia.

Not sure if it would be economically practical to include an NRL side playing home games in Fiji.

Yes, it's only a little further away from the East coast of Aus than Auckland is (NZ Warriors), but I'm not sure that there would be the required commercial clout in Fiji when compared with New Zealand.

Personally I can see these points being a sensible plan for the short to medium term future:

- Further development of the Fijian domestic league(s).

- Development opportunities/close ties to existing NRL sides to enable domestic players to play in existing NRL sides.

- Guaranteed annual home (and away) international fixtures against other Pacific Nations.

- A guaranteed annual visit from one or more of GB (or UK home nations), NZ or Australia.

Finance is obviously the main issue and I'm not sure if it's an obstacle that could be overcome to be honest.

Only issue I've got with getting more Fijians in the NRL is that they'll end up becoming "Australian" and the whole point will be lost.

Wonder if they can get a 3 test series between NZ and Fiji to run alongside SOO? Most of the Fijians are in the NRL right?

Aren't Fiji subject to sanctions from both Australia and New Zealand presently?

Due to the 2006 military coup but they are easing of late.

Only issue I've got with getting more Fijians in the NRL is that they'll end up becoming "Australian" and the whole point will be lost.

It's true that this might still be an issue.

You wouldn't get as many Fijians swapping nations if they were guaranteed more meaningful internationals. I think that goes for every country. Let's hope they capitalise on this after the world

Cup.

You wouldn't get as many Fijians swapping nations if they were guaranteed more meaningful internationals. I think that goes for every country. Let's hope they capitalise on this after the world

Cup.

But it'd still probably happen. Some people just want to win, so they become Australian. See Tony Carroll!

provided they make the semis in this world cup as they did in the last I'm sure we can comfortably say they are the fourth best nation in the world. PNG and France seem to have gone backwards since 08 and the other Island and European nations are not developing players like Fiji.

Yes they did. The overseas squad didn't include any players from the NRL but was selected Queensland Cup, NSWRL Cup and the NZ equivalent competitions. For a team made up of players from the domestic league to beat a team of that standard shows how good the game is in Fiji.

The 'Battle of the Bati' attracted a decent crowd too;

. I don't wher the second half is.

The Fijians take the game seriously.

They might sustain an NRL team if they could persuade the existing clubs to give up all or most of their Fiji-qualified talent. Which is extremely unlikely.

And if they went down the PNG route of trying to get a team into the Queensland Cup (or NSW equivalent), the distances (and therefore costs) involved would probably mean they'd be better off located in Australia.

How big is union in Fiji ?

Its massive 15's then 7's and daylight then football daylight and who knows after that....It will never work due to financial issues but the more Fijians playing in the NRL is good got their international team.

provided they make the semis in this world cup as they did in the last I'm sure we can comfortably say they are the fourth best nation in the world. PNG and France seem to have gone backwards since 08 and the other Island and European nations are not developing players like Fiji.

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM

In 2008 France lost to Samoa 10-42. In that match they were blown away by the Samoans. In their previous match in the 2008 World Cup they were beaten 42-6 by Fiji.

I don't know how you can say that France have gone backwards.

Rugby is the National Sport in Fiji(mainly Union) but any code is played in all the Villages.

Uate was on stand by for the Australian Squad, Haynes was selected.

Most of the Young Players ambitions is to learn there Trade abroad and then play for there Country of Birth either now or later in there careers !

The Fiji Police played in a 3 team tournament(Australia /UK) earlier this year in the UK, they Thrashed UK 72-0 lost to Australia by 4 points i believe and none of those players made the Bati Team and they was plenty of Talent on Show 

But as People have touched on it all comes down to Finances or lack of 

Rugby is the National Sport in Fiji(mainly Union) but any code is played in all the Villages.

Rugby union and football is played in all villages and provinces but rugby league isn't available at all in many parts of Fiji yet. Lack of international competition and finances is holding the game back in many countries including Fiji.

Posted Yesterday, 10:08 PM

In 2008 France lost to Samoa 10-42. In that match they were blown away by the Samoans. In their previous match in the 2008 World Cup they were beaten 42-6 by Fiji.

I don't know how you can say that France have gone backwards.

Well, a couple of years ago they got beat by Wales in the euro cup, missing out on the 4N, Wales finished last in this years WC. France have only scored 15 points in the whole of the competition this year. They have also lost their yearly fixture against England.

I'm not sure how your use of games that took place 5 years ago on the other side of the world works in comparison to games in France over the last couple of years so I don't know how you can say they have gone forwards?

Well, a couple of years ago they got beat by Wales in the euro cup, missing out on the 4N, Wales finished last in this years WC. France have only scored 15 points in the whole of the competition this year. They have also lost their yearly fixture against England.

I'm not sure how your use of games that took place 5 years ago on the other side of the world works in comparison to games in France over the last couple of years so I don't know how you can say they have gone forwards?

I think if they had played Wales in this World Cup they would have beaten them don't you?

Also, you did say that France have gone backwards since "08 in your original post. So I think that comparing how they did in the 2008 World Cup with how they have done in this world cup is a valid comparison is it not?

Could Fiji have a successfull side competing in the 2d grade comp in aus in the same way as png think its a great stepping stone for these pacific nations as we all know they have fantastic rugby players passionate fans ect but just need foundations to be put in place

I think if they had played Wales in this World Cup they would have beaten them don't you?

Also, you did say that France have gone backwards since "08 in your original post. So I think that comparing how they did in the 2008 World Cup with how they have done in this world cup is a valid comparison is it not?

Its hard to say really and also a moot point as they won't be playing each other.

We could also say they beat Scotland in the last WC (one result you conveniently left out of your first post, probably to suit your argument) and maybe wouldn't have beaten them in this one, but again that would show us nothing and would all be supposition.

As I have already said I think France have gone backwards since the last WC, not that we should simply compare results in isolation to suit your argument and another reason for that which i missed in my original post was they should really have been beaten by PNG, they are lucky to have made the quarters really. They will also (barring a miracle against England) leave the competition with the same number of wins and points.

I  also think that some key payers are getting older or retiring and its hard to see where the replacements are coming from.

I don't think the direct comparison to the last WC is fair because we have had more opportunities to measure France, whereas unfortunately for Fiji, which is what the thread was actually about, we don't have the same number of fixtures to measure them against.

Sadly they have only played two tests that I know of since they last lost to Australia in the last WC.