Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dibbley

Vossy quotes

121 posts in this topic

Who says he is trying?  This maybe his natural self and just perhaps he is funny in all areas of his life.  He certainly comes across as natural, just making off the cuff statements dead pan.  Sounds like this might just be who he is and that is why he is successful in his field. 

Ok, so why do RL commentators have to be funny.

Are there any other sports that has had so many comedy characters commentating?

Masoe, "ten pin bowling ball with legs".

It's actually really grating now, why do we need a joke every time Masoe touches the ball?

Voss just doesn't work with Halligan. Better with Noble.

Ok, so why do RL commentators have to be funny.

Are there any other sports that has had so many comedy characters commentating?

Cricket and soccer for starters.

Cricket and soccer for starters.

I did think cricket tbh - what they do have though is balance - they have to talk for around 8hrs, so they are more entertainers and they always have plenty of detailed analysis to educate and entertain the viewer.

Soccer generally has serious main commentators. They may have some pundits with character, but not trying to be funny with smart-assed comments every other line.

It's actually really grating now, why do we need a joke every time Masoe touches the ball?

Voss just doesn't work with Halligan. Better with Noble.

Jeez, lighten up!

Jeez, lighten up!

I'd rather they told us a bit more about the game and the tactical side rather than doing their comedy routine.

Eddie Waring used to get stick for apparently treating our game as a joke.

I notice that Tony Hannan and Martyn Sadler are saying it is too jokey too. 

Almost enough to make me change my mind!

Mood hoovers that way >>>>>>>

Thought Vossy and Halligan were on form again tonight.  My missus loves em!

I did think cricket tbh - what they do have though is balance - they have to talk for around 8hrs, so they are more entertainers and they always have plenty of detailed analysis to educate and entertain the viewer.

Soccer generally has serious main commentators. They may have some pundits with character, but not trying to be funny with smart-assed comments every other line.

Sid Waddell in Darts was a great example as well. Golf commentators make quite a few jokes too, I don't really watch it, but remember one line of 'I watched Countdown the other day and got aroused, 7 letters wasn't a bad score.'

In football for me James Richardson is one of the most knowledgeable commentator/pundits, as well as being genuinely brilliant with puns, I wish he was on TV more.

I think it helps to attract/keep new fans. In-depth tactical analysis is likely to bore/confuse someone who watches a couple of times a year.

I notice that Tony Hannan and Martyn Sadler are saying it is too jokey too. 

Almost enough to make me change my mind!

They commented on the French references and I think I agree with them there.  He came across as a bit patronising in places tonight.

"Leilua having a picnic when he caught that ball. He had the corned beef sandwiches out."

Vossy has helped make this World Cup a great watch. Let's not forget sport is supposed to be entertainment. This is definitely entertaining. Him and Nobby or even Carney as the straight man would be fine for me every week.

The problem is that Stevo and Hemmings have become repetitive and cliched, If you had Voss for a few seasons you may find his style becomes irritating.

The big problem isn't commentators but the lack of variation in them.

The bloke is like a breath of fresh air,those that are moaning about him need to get some fresh air into their girlfriends/wives

I'll sign it.  

Some how I think we'll be stuck with the awful duo and their cohorts for a long time yet.  As the faces and voices of our domestic coverage they do our game no favours whatsoever.   

I also thought Tony Rea was good calling the Wales v Cook Islands, and for any new comers to the game interested in understanding what is going on out there he was very good.  I remember he was good on the analysis before he left to go back to Oz, hopefully they'll give him air some more air time if he's not too busy next year.

I was listening to the game tonight on 5LXtra, and when Mose Masoe took the ball in, John Kear said "he's bigger than Christmas that lad". Made me chuckle, and I think the BBC on the radio have done our game proud.

Can't wait to see MM in a Saints shirt next year.

I'll sign it.  

Some how I think we'll be stuck with the awful duo and their cohorts for a long time yet.  As the faces and voices of our domestic coverage they do our game no favours whatsoever.   

I also thought Tony Rea was good calling the Wales v Cook Islands, and for any new comers to the game interested in understanding what is going on out there he was very good.  I remember he was good on the analysis before he left to go back to Oz, hopefully they'll give him air some more air time if he's not too busy next year.

Tony Rea just drones, he is the dullest of RL callers.

He shouldn't be allowed within 100 yards of a microphone.

Yeah he did drone on a bit, you're right.  Talked a good game though.  I used to drone before I moved to South Wales, maybe he should stay in the area for a few weeks, it has done wonders for my intonation!

The novelty of Voss is starting to wear off for me too. Some of the, ahem, attempts to pronounce the French players' names were pretty shocking and seemed to get worse as the night went on.

The big problem isn't commentators but the lack of variation in them.

That is true.  It also seems true sometimes on the NRL commentary where you almost feel the match is getting in the way of a pre-rehearsed conversation.

I'd take pretty much anything over the current Sky obsession of concentrating only on the minutiae of refereeing decisions and virtually no other aspect of the game.

I thought Voss misjudged the overall mood last night but was still far better at calling the game than we've become used to from Sky.

The novelty of Voss is starting to wear off for me too. Some of the, ahem, attempts to pronounce the French players' names were pretty shocking and seemed to get worse as the night went on.

probably as the ale kicked in

The novelty of Voss is starting to wear off for me too.

Not in my house. My wife will watch the games he's commentating on as she loves the "Vossyisms'. She normally ignores the games apart from asking "who's playing tonight then?"

He's in danger of disappearing up his own backside.  As Padge points out, variety is key.  Couple this with knowledge and we'd all be happy.