Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

The Good Tory writes ...

58 posts in this topic

If you could talk anything but politics I think Ken Clarke and Boris would be quite likeable.  Not good but likeable.

I genuinely have tried to think of a Tory I'd consider "good" and can't.

Narrow Mindedness of yourself and Larry The Left as I am mates with a lot of labour and there never say anything what there party have done wrong yet still call the Tory's.

Labour could bomb bloody Portugal and there faithful would still say they done no wrong.

I quite like Alan Johnson as he is a working class fellow.

And if I get banned for saying some not so bad stuff then you might as well name this forum North Korean Total Rugby.

If you could talk anything but politics I think Ken Clarke and Boris would be quite likeable.  Not good but likeable.

William Hague did a really good job as Secretary of State for Wales.

I've a lot of time for Philip Davies as well.

I'd better be careful what I say, but I came across a Tory MP when working a few months ago (could have been 2012, actually). He was up visiting his brother - well, he obviously wouldn't be representing anywhere around here - was sitting in the garden and just started chatting to me. He quickly established my life story (ie why I was wandering around Scotland with a Lancashire accent) and it turned out that we were both of similar national status: English-born but Scottish through parentage. He then went on a bit of a rant about current issues in Scottish politics, the national question, Alex Salmond, and him not having a say. I'm thinking "what is any of this to do with you as you live down south?", so I challenged him and had a bit of a debate (much to the embarrassment of his sister-in-law, who was also sat in the garden).

I didn't find out he was a politician until afterwards, but I wasn't impressed by his - how can I say this? - political intelligence. Never mind Alex Salmond debating the future of Scotland with David Cameron, I'll take this guy on anytime, anywhere - and wipe the floor with him.

Nice enough bloke, though.

To be (slightly) fair, it is thanks to the codifying gentry that the Football Association was formed in the first place.

True afte around 150 years they have claimed it back.

I feel a coalition between new Tory leader Boris Johnson and UKIP's Nigel Farage in the future.

Maggie/John Major and Tory Blair were the best PM's we ever had.

Clement Attlee is the best PM we've ever had. Blair and Major were effectively "Tory light" Thatcher was a disaster for our country, the fruits of her policies are just coming home to roost, with the rescue of the banks and the rip off energy companies just the tip of the ice berg. People talk about Blair and spin, Thatcher was all spin.

Clement Attlee is the best PM we've ever had. Blair and Major were effectively "Tory light" Thatcher was a disaster for our country, the fruits of her policies are just coming home to roost, with the rescue of the banks and the rip off energy companies just the tip of the ice berg. People talk about Blair and spin, Thatcher was all spin.

I think that this is unfair.  Major and Blair didn't have malice, it was at the core of a lot of what Thatcher did.

You're blaming thatcher for brown bailing out the banks? Wow. That's a leap.

Please rename this thread the Alice in Wonderland thread as it is full of nonsense - apart from of course my posts.

I wasn't impressed by his - how can I say this? - political intelligence = He didn't agree with me

This is how Tories think right?  = I don't agree with them

I genuinely have tried to think of a Tory I'd consider "good" and can't = I don't agree with them

The bar is so low.  Isn't it just, eh , Rhuby.  :tongue: 

The left has always had this delusional, inflated and wholly wrong view of it's alleged intellectual and humanitarian superiority, as the contents of this thread so far confirm.

:party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:

This is how Tories think right?  = I don't agree with them

I genuinely have tried to think of a Tory I'd consider "good" and can't = I don't agree with them

The bar is so low.  Isn't it just, eh , Rhuby.  :tongue: 

In my opinion the bar is very low.  I hold the belief that if you vote on the basis of what is best for yourself then you are inherently a tory whether you're voting green/lib dem/labour or anything else.  In simplistic terms I think that tories vote for themselves and for the immediate future only and that is at fundamental odds with the attitude I have when I vote.  I vote for what I consider to be the best for the country in the short and long term, with the emphasis on the longer term.

That I find to be a tough thing to level out when judging their charactors.  I'm not saying that there aren't inherently good tories, it's just that I can't think of one off the top of my head.  I'm happy to be shown the error of my ways.  Just point one out.  I love the way that John Major is cited as a nice/good/honest bloke, when at the height of his political power when he was preaching about morals and back to basics values, he was nuts deep in Edwina Currie.  Yeah, nice fella.

I love the way that John Major is cited as a nice/good/honest bloke, when at the height of his political power when he was preaching about morals and back to basics values, he was nuts deep in Edwina Currie.  Yeah, nice fella.

You should also consider the way he became leader of the Tory party and the ousting of Thatcher. Nice/good/honest blokes don't win in those situations (especially in politics and more especially in the Tory party) unless they are mischievous, devious and Machiavellian. 

You should also consider the way he became leader of the Tory party and the ousting of Thatcher. Nice/good/honest blokes don't win in those situations (especially in politics and more especially in the Tory party) unless they are mischievous, devious and Machiavellian.

Especially the Tory party?

How long did Blair and brown spend briefing against each other over who should be in charge? Instead of actually running the country.

Are Ed and David speaking to each other yet?

he was nuts deep in Edwina Currie.  

I didn't want my lunch anyway.

I didn't want my lunch anyway.

Certainly brings a new meaning to "I'm having leftover Currie for lunch"

I didn't expect to see my breakfast again, either.

Especially the Tory party?

How long did Blair and brown spend briefing against each other over who should be in charge? Instead of actually running the country.

Are Ed and David speaking to each other yet?

Yes, especially the Tory party, though, like I said, ALL politicians (no implication it is JUST Tories). I was referring particularly to Major and the Thatcher coup. Having read the Alan Clark diaries all I can say is with friends like those who needs enemies.  

An interesting article in today's Indy on the subject that Major raised.  They scratch at a point but don't follow it through well enough I think.  The pursuit of happiness just isn't there for many people, it's all about status and more money.  I think a lot of people equate more money to more happiness when that's not really true.

For those at the top of the employment ladder, what's the point of working yourself 16 hours a day chasing status in a narcissistic, ego-driven miserable industry just to realise when you're 55-60 that you've done absolutely nothing of value to further your own happiness?  There's a reason why the 50-60 year old professional demographic is one of the highest growing suicide demographics in Britain, that's the age that they're getting pushed aside as "too old", never mind just simply ageing, you're too old at that age in many industries despite probably being at your real peak in terms of knowledge and experience.  I was doing some work at a top-end legal sector firm last week, very niche skills and very demanding of their fee-earners, not a single Partner is over 50 in the firm and only one is over 45, you're very clearly past it and put out to pasture when you're in your mid 40s in that firm.

For those at the bottom of the employment ladder, think back to when you were a child, were you just as poor, or poorer, then?  Were you happy in your childhood and did money really come into it?  If you were happy then, what's stopping you being happy now, even with a far more limited income than you'd like?  My cousin is probably the least content person I know, always whining about having no money yet he refuses to work and could almost be one of those stereotypical people referred to in that article that are on TV for better-off people to laugh at.  He has a bigger TV than me, he goes on more holidays than me (albeit to wildly different places than me) and he always seems to be going out, certainly going by his Facebook page of nightly exploits anyway yet his posts whining about having no money almost equal the number of posts about him spending money.  He'd be a psychologist's dream subject in a study of the chase for instant gratification without the corresponding effort.

Strangely enough, when I was doing my MBA work the thing that's stuck with me the most was a long section on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  It's one of the few psychological tools that actually concentrates on what makes us happier rather than studying things that are already broken.  It's quite simplistic in a number of ways but very clever in others, for example, no wonder people are unhappy if they spend their life chasing a very improbable lottery win when they're barely able to put food on the table.

I re-read that all and it sounds fairly condescending but then that's probably what comes from eating a 4 rasher smoked back bacon sandwich for lunch, obviously with HP brown sauce.  As my signature line says, money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you bacon which is close enough.

Surely you mean "eating" and not "having"?

You're blaming thatcher for brown bailing out the banks? Wow. That's a leap.

Not really.

Thatcher/Lawson deregulated financial services. As with privatisation of the energy industry, the result was entirely predictable.

Sometimes the chickens take a while to come home to roost.

Surely you mean "eating" and not "having"?

Do you wake up in the morning and scream, "Oh my god, what have I become?"

Do you wake up in the morning and scream, "Oh my god, what have I become?"

Look I'm sorry if you found my text arousing.  That wasn't my intention.