Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roughyedspud

billy slater

126 posts in this topic

So a young man, one of the best players in the world goes into a nightclub in our country, is attacked and then questioned about the incident.

Subsequently he is shown to be the victim and people on here gloat.

What a way to welcome visitors who have royally entertained us.

He's an Aussie and therefore fair game for a a bit of ridicule.

Report in The Mail says that he was getting his coat at 02:40. If I was part of the Australian management team this would be the part of the incident that I would be most concerned about as one of their elite athletes is prepared to disrupt his sleep pattern.

Report in The Mail says that he was getting his coat at 02:40. If I was part of the Australian management team this would be the part of the incident that I would be most concerned about as one of their elite athletes is prepared to disrupt his sleep pattern.

They get free days on tour though.

Already a few tourists are feeling homesick, it has to be a balance.

Has does the England camp enforce curfews when they have allowed players to return home between matches in some cases?

They don't seem to have an alcohol ban or curfew so he's done nothing wrong!

HAJAHAHHHAJAJAHAHAHA

I fail to see what is funny about this incident to be honest. 

We have had an exceptional World Cup so far, so what do Sky and the BBC report? great games, great crowds, great comradery?  No, a  punch up in a nightclub.

It only highlights how eager they are to knock RL and incidents like this don't help at all, they just fuel anti League bias

They don't seem to have an alcohol ban or curfew so he's done nothing wrong!

Indeed. I for one am more than happy for them all to keep partying hard on this tour. :D

Good job they're not based in Newcastle, he'd have probably got into a fight for having a coat

I fail to see what is funny about this incident to be honest.

We have had an exceptional World Cup so far, so what do Sky and the BBC report? great games, great crowds, great comradery? No, a punch up in a nightclub.

It only highlights how eager they are to knock RL and incidents like this don't help at all, they just fuel anti League bias

Because if it was one of our lads in Oz the media would be demanding his immediate extradition and scouring his disciplinary record!

I fail to see what is funny about this incident to be honest. 

We have had an exceptional World Cup so far, so what do Sky and the BBC report? great games, great crowds, great comradery?  No, a  punch up in a nightclub.

It only highlights how eager they are to knock RL and incidents like this don't help at all, they just fuel anti League bias

I hope Billy Slater presses charges as the plice invited him to do.

This would mean more coverage but also show that some scrote took it upon himself to have a go and (as usual) the player has no option to defend himself.

another example of something that was prob "something and nothing" been blown out of all proportion by blanket news media, twitter , forumsetc etc, you prob wouldn't have even heard about it 10 years ago, lets get on with the game

Good job they're not based in Newcastle, he'd have probably got into a fight for having a coat

That's very funny!!

I didn't say that but robbed and in a fight in only a couple of weeks sounds a bit unlucky for a small group of players, I doubt they are in the nightclub every night.

I am pretty positive the English team should stop going anywhere there is Alcohol.

I have been going to Manchester for almost 40 years, and I have managed to stay away from being mugged.

Oh. sorry, I just realised i disagreed with you. Off you go to report me now. Go on then.

They get free days on tour though.

Already a few tourists are feeling homesick, it has to be a balance.

Has does the England camp enforce curfews when they have allowed players to return home between matches in some cases?

Let's hope the Aussies are enjoying the weather as well.

What a total non news story...Rugby player goes out has a few drinks and gets into a bit of a scuffle. Happens in every northern town every weekend, and laughed about in every Sunday club the days after. Rubbish Journalism from HM Gutter Press!!

Channel 9 the home of the NRL was all over this last night saying it was a player arrested in London for assault blah blah blah, they then named Billy 5 mins later without correcting the Manchester bit or the fact billy had been let go without charge. They then repeated the same garbage later that night (midnight) even though before the first report on the national news at 6pm, other stations had got to the truth and reported the truth already.

Yep, the home of the NRL, channel 9 who paid over $1 billion for TV rights have their knickers in a knot because some other TV station besides them had the gaul to show a RL tournament that the home of RL in Australia couldn't have been ed showing.

So what do channel 9 do?

Well they either ignore it completely, bash it when an opportunity comes along like above, or ridicule it non stop with sly inserts here and there.

Channel 9 is a parasite to sports in Australia, thank god channel 7 had the guts to come back to international RL this year after a 20 year hibernation (because of Channel 9's Kerry Packer and News Limited's Rupert Murdoch and the bloody Super League War) because they are actually doing the game of Rugby  League justice on their channel 7 network. 

Channel 7 might be the home of AFL in Australia, but at least when they have the rights to other major sports/events, they do the code/program a real service, channel 9 could learn a lot, but everyone at the station are up each others *****.

I hope Billy Slater presses charges as the plice invited him to do.

This would mean more coverage but also show that some scrote took it upon himself to have a go and (as usual) the player has no option to defend himself.

I understand the sentiment, but don't personally think the use of (as usual) is appropriate or anywhere near accurate.

I understand the sentiment, but don't personally think the use of (as usual) is appropriate or anywhere near accurate.

As usual they had to get their retaliation in first has probably been more appropriate over the years

The CCTV footage is floating around on the News networks.
Must disappoint some here that Slater is not the offender.

The CCTV footage is floating around on the News networks.

Must disappoint some here that Slater is not the offender.

Not at all. Just surprised that they are knocking about at that time of night mid tournament.

Rightly or wrongly you make yourself fair game for the press when you do that. Plus one or two on here will give you a tickle for fun.

:biggrin:

Not at all. Just surprised that they are knocking about at that time of night mid tournament.

Rightly or wrongly you make yourself fair game for the press when you do that. Plus one or two on here will give you a tickle for fun.

I was not thinking about you.

Slaters media statement

http://media.smh.com.au/national/selections/slater-tight-lipped-on-fight-4915721.html

The CCTV footage

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/video-cctv-footage-of-billy-slaters-act-of-selfdefence-following-nightclub-attack/story-e6frg6n6-1226758458688#ooid=NvaDc1aDp7I0hJfOhEaln3uWPbBEIwCZ

It was nothing.

I have just seen the CCTV footage of the incident. Billy Slater did exactly what anyone else would do. I bet the guy who hit him now wishes he hadn't.

I have just seen the CCTV footage of the incident. Billy Slater did exactly what anyone else would do. I bet the guy who hit him now wishes he hadn't.

What happened then?