Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wireagle

What is the World Cup telling us about UK Rugby League?

84 posts in this topic

That it has a lot more going for it that the parochials within the game give it credit for or even want to give it credit for

Even now there are desultory sneers from some of them

Meanwhile the rest inside and outside the game have been re energised in some cases enlightened and in others have brand new box fresh memories to carry forward with then

The legacy must be an understanding that a united RL with a common expansion goal at every level and a clear guaranteed pathway to the elite level is in the interests of all. SE, Bristol and Wales must be prioritised, London must survive in SL and be stronger for the experience of recent years. The Elite must be Elite, no more protecting the weak at the top table.

10500 at Leigh, 10400 at Fax and 9000's at Dale and Wakey show the dormant heartland support to be ignited, the reaction of local supporters at Wembley says it all about our sport - lets not waste this chance by giving time to the dinosaurs holding us back protecting the non elite

10500 at Leigh, 10400 at Fax and 9000's at Dale and Wakey show the dormant heartland support to be ignited,

Not true at all.  I went to Leigh, for example, but I live in St Helens and support Saints.  Some fans during the world cup have travelled to every game in every location.  Those crowds you refer to were attracted from all over the country and possibly beyond.  They are not an indication of local support for the sport or a particular club.  The numbers which turn up week in, week out are an indication of that.

Not true at all. I went to Leigh, for example, but I live in St Helens and support Saints. Some fans during the world cup have travelled to every game in every location. Those crowds you refer to were attracted from all over the country and possibly beyond. They are not an indication of local support for the sport or a particular club. The numbers which turn up week in, week out are an indication of that.

Yeah otherwise you could argue that the crowd at Wembley indicates the Broncos will get big crowds

Yeah otherwise you could argue that the crowd at Wembley indicates the Broncos will get big crowds

If you look at that thread, some people do seem to be making that point.

If you look at that thread, some people do seem to be making that point.

I wouldn't know about that but people are using the argument that decent crowds in Leigh etc are an indication that we should retreat to the 'heartlands'. My experience of this WC screams the opposite.

The legacy must be an understanding that a united RL with a common expansion goal at every level and a clear guaranteed pathway to the elite level is in the interests of all. SE, Bristol and Wales must be prioritised, London must survive in SL and be stronger for the experience of recent years. The Elite must be Elite, no more protecting the weak at the top table.

10500 at Leigh, 10400 at Fax and 9000's at Dale and Wakey show the dormant heartland support to be ignited, the reaction of local supporters at Wembley says it all about our sport - lets not waste this chance by giving time to the dinosaurs holding us back protecting the non elite

People travelled from my all over the place to these games

10500 at Leigh, 10400 at Fax and 9000 at (Roch)Dale show the dormant heartland support to be ignited

Ha ha Craiq - you didn't get away with that one did you!!

Did you have border guards turning non-Leigh RL fans away from the town?

The facts are and always will be that Leauge is a Northern based game and whatever Union thinks there Southern based with at least over half of there top teams based in London and surrounds and west country. Develop where your most strongest where the fan base is.

That's not a fact, we have four league clubs in Devon alone....

Not really enough to change the stat that RL is still largely northern based. We need more clubs in Devon. RU has far more than just four.

With reference to the question in the topic title in the short term:  the more of our top players play regularly in the NRL the more competitive our international side will be.

I think the world cup has been a massive success for the supporters has there been huge interest outside the heartland. . Probably not. It wasn't helped by the bbc covering it to be honest. I would like to know the percentage of fans attending who didn't come from the m62 corridor. I hope it was lots.

I personally attended 3 games and didn't hear many non northern accents.

I also hope the day will come when traditional clubs the rfl has forgotten get us back to a stronger game.

I don't think London has worked over the years. I do think

Catalan has been a success. Wales was never going to work. The rfl should realise the Welsh have a tradition of union just as much as Hull or Saint Helena has league.

If the rfl had spent all the money they waste on expansion on the traditional areas of the game things may be different.

As it is we havethe greatest game in the world all played within 15 miles of the m62, I for one rejoice in the fact and dont really care if it stays that way.

People can have a Northern accent and have never attended a RL game in their life you know. I didn't get into RL until I was 30. There's millions of others like it.

And how can something be as good as you claim if it stayed within such a tiny range?

I dunno ask the followers of the arl maybe. I am sure there are many non northern supporters of rugby league but not enough to sustain a superleague club at the expence of the likes of oldham, featherstone, hunslet, halifax ect.

Most of the people on this forum would say rugby wasnt that bad before we tried to expand it south. Although the product was not as professional and not played to the standards of today it was probably attended by a lot more fans than it is today.

Its easy for me to have a 'remember the good old days' attitude but its how I feel having been going to see hull for 40 years.

I suggest you re-read my post in which I was responding to the question about why there is no pro RL in East Lancs, so towns like towns like Burnley, Accrington and Blackburn, Bolton none of which are a million miles from Wigan. Why was it that in those Mill Towns that soccer was favoured over rugby?

Mines

You aren't allowed to use real facts you know!

I think the world cup has been a massive success for the supporters has there been huge interest outside the heartland. . Probably not. It wasn't helped by the bbc covering it to be honest. I would like to know the percentage of fans attending who didn't come from the m62 corridor. I hope it was lots.

I personally attended 3 games and didn't hear many non northern accents.

I also hope the day will come when traditional clubs the rfl has forgotten get us back to a stronger game.

I don't think London has worked over the years. I do think

Catalan has been a success. Wales was never going to work. The rfl should realise the Welsh have a tradition of union just as much as Hull or Saint Helena has league.

If the rfl had spent all the money they waste on expansion on the traditional areas of the game things may be different.

As it is we havethe greatest game in the world all played within 15 miles of the m62, I for one rejoice in the fact and dont really care if it stays that way.

Can I take this opportunity to thank napoleon for all the grass roots work he did all those years ago

I wouldn't know about that but people are using the argument that decent crowds in Leigh etc are an indication that we should retreat to the 'heartlands'. My experience of this WC screams the opposite.

How many non Cumbrians travelled up to Workington do you think?

How many non Cumbrians travelled up to Workington do you think?

I have no idea. How many Cumbrians went to Wembley? But the fact that the games in Cumbria got good crowds is down to good organisation and promotion by the RLWC mob.

I have no idea. How many Cumbrians went to Wembley? But the fact that the games in Cumbria got good crowds is down to good organisation and promotion by the RLWC mob.

Agreed

And mr mullaney misses the point

If the majority of people at these games were Cumbrians it goes to show what can be achieve when they unite and forget their pathetic small town rivalries

I went to games in leeds Wales and wembley

My grandson worked as a volunteer at those games as well as at Halifax and Leigh

We both encountered people from all over the world and from all sorts if backgrounds.

Edit: we are at the culmination of a world wide event that has been a massive success. It has opened eyes and hopefully minds: gratifyingly the eyes and minds that have been opened have been from the big wide world out there

Sadly that doesn't seem the case from one or two predictable quarters within rugby league

I'm not going to let it take the shine off my pleasure and elation

the 3 bigest provincial games.. huddersfield, hull, wigan

Not all the fans at these games came from these towns but most didnt travel far.

Wembley was a great effort by all concerned and nearly sold out.

Would it have sold out in Manchester? Most probably.

In Cardiff ? Not likely.

Its a shame but there doesnt seem to be a market for a superleague team in London or in Wales.

Sport is usually built on tradition. The Afl doesnt seem to suffer only being played in Australia. The average attendance for a sport played "in such a small area" is over 33, 000.

It would be interesting to see how big crowds would be if leigh where in superleague and if saints and wigan crowds would suffer because they are in such a small area.

Agreed

And mr mullaney misses the point

If the majority of people at these games were Cumbrians it goes to show what can be achieve when they unite and forget their pathetic small town rivalries

I went to games in leeds Wales and wembley

My grandson worked as a volunteer at those games as well as at Halifax and Leigh

We both encountered people from all over the world and from all sorts if backgrounds.

Not with you Charlie. As much as I think AFL is possibly the worst sport going, it isn't played over a small area. One country perhaps but a big one all the same. The areas they have expanded into have been properly funded and supported, not left to rot like London.

There is nothing pathetic about small town rivalry. Its what made rugby league in the first place ! Hull fc would be nowt without hkr. Ask wigan fans if they wouldnt want a saints pathetic my bum.

Large area small population and its not expanded far. They obviously dont think its the worst sport going. Its a traditional game for the people that play it and watch it.

But you are right I just dont get it either.