Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scubby

Had Sky covered the World Cup

65 posts in this topic

i've thoroughly enjoyed the PS coverage, the commentary has been superb..

Premier have been excellent in that they show every game live and they have used some good commentators, but I do think some people are being very forgiving based on their dislike of Sky.

Things I have missed from lack of Sky coverage:

- pre-match discussion

- stats and graphics

- half time analysis

Things I have found poor with Premier:

-  Robbie Hunter-Paul, Halligan, Ramsdale, Rea are pretty depressing and all worse than anything Sky has.

- camerawork - been happy with the angles actually, not found an issue but the speed of transition and the fact replays are often showing us missing action on the field.

- the fact that we had technical issues for the Cok v USA game

Ultimately they have done a very good job, but it does come across as cheap coverage compared to Sky.

Eddie and Stevo don't annoy me so much that I wouldn't want them to have covered this event. I agree with Padge's point on another thread though about variety, we don't need the same commentators at every game.

Really pleased with the Premiere Sports package apart from initially when recording a game is ended premeturely to the scheduled time, I've got round this by recording games to include the following program. Also Andrew Voss has been first class - way better than Eddie  & Stevo. I see PS are also providing coverage of all NRL games next season along with SOO and CH1 so I'm sticking with it. I would like to see them bid for SL too in order that we find out what the SL TV deal should be worth. There's nothing like some serious competition.

I haven't missed stats ... No Phil Clarke . Heaven ! Sooner sky drop him and his professor of rugby psychobabble the better

Had SKY covered the World Cup, I wouldn't have seen any of the non BBC broadcast matches for the reason that I don't subscribe to SKY as it costs too much.

Being able to subscribe to Premier for a month at a time at an affordable rate has been great. Occasional problems with the feed have been frustrating but that may be as much to do with my home wireless network as anything else (think I should invest what I saved on SKY in a 30ft long network cable). So overall very happy with Premier, the callers have been good, and I whilst I will be ending my subscription at the end of November, I will certainly consider re-subscribing to Premier for the NRL finals season.

Had SKY covered the World Cup, I wouldn't have seen any of the non BBC broadcast matches for the reason that I don't subscribe to SKY as it costs too much.

You wouldn't have seen any of the matches, as the deal Sky were offerering didn't allow for the BBC to have any matches, which is the main reason we went with PS

I am pleased that the starting point for this is that we could only go with the best deal on offer at the time. Looking ahead, in the international we now have a product with a track record and a reputation, so our ability to call the shots is immensely improved. I would be astonished if 2017 and 2021 weren't both on Sky.

I am pleased that the starting point for this is that we could only go with the best deal on offer at the time. Looking ahead, in the international we now have a product with a track record and a reputation, so our ability to call the shots is immensely improved. I would be astonished if 2017 and 2021 weren't both on Sky.

I thought BBC already had 2017 England RLWC coverage (may have that wrong though)

You wouldn't have seen any of the matches, as the deal Sky were offerering didn't allow for the BBC to have any matches, which is the main reason we went with PS

Do we know that for certain, or was it the fact that they wouldn't get any exclusives for the England games?

Sky have been ok with sharing coverage for tournaments in recent years and did exactly this in 2000.

If what Brooza says is true, then please only give Sky the rights on the condition the BBC gets to show a load free to air.

Do we know that for certain, or was it the fact that they wouldn't get any exclusives for the England games?

Either would have been disastrous.

Either would have been disastrous.

I don't think it would have been disastrous.

Had one England game been shown on Sky exclusively plus shared coverage of other games, I think we could have lived with that. The benefits of having games like NZ v Samoa on a more popular network could have been really positive.

Had one England game been shown on Sky exclusively plus shared coverage of other games,

Sky don't share.

Because evil.

replays are often showing us missing action on the field.

Agree with this, as it's one of the things that annoys me the most in the whole world. Just show the freaking game when the ball's in play!

However, Sky were just as bad at times this season. The BBC have always done this.

For those that missed the Sky coverage of the RLWC,Stevo was mainly 'confused' and 'furious',whilst randamly shouting out 'forward pass' after every terrific try,whilst his analysis consisted of suggesting that every time someone kicked to a winger,the coach had spotted a defensive weakness.Hemmings commentary consisted of variations on,'White,to Brown,tackled by Green,the Irish international'.

Lol I wouldn't mind but I can just hear that commentary in my head now.

I haven't missed stats ... No Phil Clarke . Heaven ! Sooner sky drop him and his professor of rugby psychobabble the better

Bores me stupid. As soon as he starts I turn off (not the TV) And that traffic light nonsense.

What is interesting is that because of the lack of live coverage from Sky, none of the coaches appear to be "furious" at any point during the games :)

What is interesting is that because of the lack of live coverage from Sky, none of the coaches appear to be "furious" at any point during the games :)

No but one was caught out by the wife who didn't know he was over here and she had spotted him live on TV and was on the phone to him and he was explaining where he was. According to Vossy that was :-)

Sky have a good commentary pair staring term in the face ... Rod Studd and Brian Carney . They don't need a job lot of hangers on and the old tiresome twosome . Just two guys who are professional and humorous . The penny should drop for the brains at Sky ...

Yes, and amazingly it seems to be possible for both teams to be playing well, poorly or indifferently at the same time. I thought I'd learnt from Sky that one team was always running the show with a good kicking game and their opponent all over the shop.

Although that could turn around quickly with a try from the team previously all over the shop, possibly following a message going out from the furious coach.

Yes, and amazingly it seems to be possible for both teams to be playing well, poorly or indifferently at the same time. I thought I'd learnt from Sky that one team was always running the show with a good kicking game and their opponent all over the shop.

Although that could turn around quickly with a try from the team previously all over the shop, possibly following a message going out from the furious coach.

Or a short kick over the top.

Personally I don't mind Daryl Halligan. He has got an unusual way of speaking but him and Andrew Voss are great together in my view.

Personally I don't mind Daryl Halligan. He has got an unusual way of speaking but him and Andrew Voss are great together in my view.

Agreed...The pair are a breath of fresh air.It would be great if Andrew Voss could get a contract calling the games for next season either on Premier or Sky.

The biggest thing has just been a break from the same old same old. I hope that the Sky team have looked at the World Cup, how it has been broadcast and how it has been received by viewers and the public at large, and set out to refresh their coverage so that it is better than anything we've seen to date.

next Saturdays quarter is at 8pm on a Saturday - not q great slot for sport.

But that may be based on the how the tournament is organised rather than the BBC.  England would have played either Saturday or Sunday evening depending on who got into the quarters from their matching group.  Whether the BBC demanded this weekend as an evening slot or whether they responded to the timetable accordingly we will probably never know but unless or until we do, we can't really dump the blame on the BBC can we?

I doubt we will attract 2.2 million on Saturday night as there will be much competition for viewers from BBC1 but you never know.