Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

16/11/13 - World Cup QF2: Australia v USA (Wrexham, 1pm)

Who will win?   30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 21 points or more
    • Australia by 11 to 20 points
    • Australia by 1 to 10 points
    • USA by 1 to 10 points
    • USA by 11 to 20 points
    • USA by 21 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

100 posts in this topic

Discuss World Cup QF2: Australia v USA (Wrexham, 1pm) here.

Got tickets for this came based on the logic it would be Australia v Wales. Still going to enjoy my weekend however.

Chances of "shocking the world" - miscroscopic. But COME ON USA! anyway. :) 

There was an article, slightly tongue in cheek, in the Observer after the RLWC in 1995 about a USA team heading home with the RLWC after drafting in a load of ex-NFL/NHL players and giving them 10 years training. Could this be one WC too soon?

Voted Aus, but (very unlike me), Go USA!

If the USA win, we will all need to head off to Mount Rushmore with hammers and chisels.  :assassin:

The only chance for the USA is if the 'roos prepare mentally the same way as England did for Italy- can't see it though.

This would be the biggest sporting shock of ALL TIME if the US were to actually win... won't happen though; Australia by 50. Still looking forward to the game and will be taking my seat in the Upper Tier of the Yale Stand.

USA, USA, USA, USA!!

I'd like to go to this match but as usual it's all about getting there.  My car just wouldn't make it, bless its 17 year old heart.  There is a train - well three trains in total - to Wrexham General which I believe is the station nearby to the stadium but that journey would create difficulties in getting to Wigan although it could be done straight from Liverpool Lime Street.  Not a bad price either for a return ticket.  However, not sure about getting back from Wigan on the train after the England game!

Given that there have been so many matches in the north west area, why on earth couldn't someone have thought of organising some transport?

Looking forward to this and, like Greg C, wrongly assumed an Australia v Wales QF, or depending on Cardiff, England v Wales! I look a bit daft now...

Still, for the USA this will be their world cup final and they will be up for giving the Australians a bloody nose. If I see the spirited underdog of NZ v Samoa or Wales v Australia (2000) then I'll be very happy indeed.

Looking forward to my first visit to the Racecourse Ground.

Perenara is the ref : USA players can use any weapons they want to figth against Australian, no problems for him ;-)

Australia have named their Squad for the game.

THE 20 MAN AUSTRALIAN SQUAD:

Cameron Smith ©,

Paul Gallen (vc),

Greg Bird,

Darius Boyd,

Daly Cherry-Evans,

Boyd Cordner,

Cooper Cronk,

Andrew Fifita,

Jarryd Hayne,

Greg Inglis,

Brett Morris,

Nate Myles,

Josh Papalii,

Corey Parker,

Matthew Scott,

Billy Slater,

James Tamou,

Brent Tate,

Sam Thaiday,

Johnathan Thurston.

Dropping Farrah makes that squad stronger, he is a spare wheel.

No Jennings. He was having a shocker with his passing, but it was unlike him. He just needs games to sort that out. If his passes into the advertising continued against USA, then I'd be happy to see him sit out the rest of the tournament. Otherwise I think we're leaving out our best centre (after Inglis).

Heard that Sheens stated that DCE will definitely be in the top 17 and that he is putting genuine pressure on Thurston/Cronk. Cronk on this tournament, maybe, but Thurston has to be safe. Sounds like words of encouragement more than anything though, he'll be on the bench most likely.

The rest of the team should sort itself out. I just want them to be on song now.

This would be the biggest sporting shock of ALL TIME if the US were to actually win... won't happen though; Australia by 50.

There's very little room for debate; as you state, a USA victory would represent the biggest shock in the history of sport. It would be great if it was very tight for the first thirty minutes though.

Hmmm if you're looking for sporting upsets I'd rather be USA going in against Australia than Buster Douglas facing Tyson.....the later needed an extended count to get back up off the Canvas .......now that was an upset of epic proportions.....no bounce of the ball to gamble on , no rub of the green......just the baddest man on the planet trying to take your head off for 36 minutes straight.

Hmmm if you're looking for sporting upsets I'd rather be USA going in against Australia than Buster Douglas facing Tyson.....the later needed an extended count to get back up off the Canvas .......now that was an upset of epic proportions.....no bounce of the ball to gamble on , no rub of the green......just the baddest man on the planet trying to take your head off for 36 minutes straight.

I suppose that we'll have to 'agree to disagree', especially due to the subjective nature of the topic.

Any TRLers going to this one fancy a meet-up? I'm lovely.

The forward are more up in the air, but the Australian backline now looks like it's going to be...

1. Billy Slater

2. Darius Boyd

3. Greg Inglis

4. Jarryd Hayne

5. Brett Morris

Been a long time since I've seen Hayne in the centres. If it happens, Sheens is obviously trying to get the ball into his hands earlier and more often.

The forward are more up in the air, but the Australian backline now looks like it's going to be...

1. Billy Slater

2. Darius Boyd

3. Greg Inglis

4. Jarryd Hayne

5. Brett Morris

Been a long time since I've seen Hayne in the centres. If it happens, Sheens is obviously trying to get the ball into his hands earlier and more often.

Hayne needs to be more involved.

His career has seen him play in too many positions at different levels.

He can be a game changer on his day.

At Parramatta I would have him at Stand off.

All the best to Terry Matterson for this one. Great guy.

My namesake (no relation) has done really well with the USA team, its a shame they have to meet Australia with a point to prove.

Hayne needs to be more involved.

His career has seen him play in too many positions at different levels.

He can be a game changer on his day.

At Parramatta I would have him at Stand off.

I would play him in a Fiji shirt. ;) 

I would play him in a Fiji shirt. ;)

I would too if he was born there  ;)

I remember his Dad at Souths.

This is the time, the time is now, time to shock the world.  Never intended to have a soft spot for this USA team after the selection dramas, but the intention has done one, and I'm left cheering for the Tomahawks.  Coach of the tournament Terry Matterson by a country mile!

This is the time, the time is now, time to shock the world.  Never intended to have a soft spot for this USA team after the selection dramas, but the intention has done one, and I'm left cheering for the Tomahawks.  Coach of the tournament Terry Matterson by a country mile!

Agreed!

I don't think they have an earthly but I do hope they put in a good show.  I also hope that enough people turn up to watch the show to create a good atmosphere.