Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

16/11/13 - World Cup QF3: England v France (Wigan, KO 8pm)

Who will win?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 21 points or more
    • England by 11 to 20 points
    • England by 1 to 10 points
    • France by 1 to 10 points
    • France by 11 to 20 points
    • France by 21 points or more

I want the game to be competitive, but then again I want a resounding England victory to give us confidence going into the game against NZ.

If Widdop starts at 6 that will make me more than happy though.

There needs to be a way to get more French players in Superleague clubs that aren't Les Cats

As got the game, England just have too much firepower across the park, hopefully whoever is in the halves for England will figure out how to get the ball to the centres

There needs to be a way to get more French players in Superleague clubs that aren't Les Cats

As got the game, England just have too much firepower across the park, hopefully whoever is in the halves for England will figure out how to get the ball to the centres

more french players at other clubs than catalans?? is that at the expense of young english players????

the simple answer is, if catalans didn't stuff their team with antipodeans and english players then there would be more french players in super league.................

the simple answer is, if catalans didn't stuff their team with antipodeans and english players then there would be more french players in super league.................

But then the French team would still be just the Catalan Dragons...

More players in SL means a bigger pool for them to choose from which means a better team which means more competitive matches...can you see where this is going?

why 8pm on a Saturday? I have no interest in sport at that time, we will be at a rockabilly gig (doing sat nite stuff), will record it and try and avoid the score I suppose

Enjoy, bye.

Is there an alternative, upbeat thread for this game?

I am looking forward to this game:

- it's an England World Cup quarter final;

- there'll be a great crowd in Wigan, pie fuelled and eager;

- we have earned the right to play France by putting together a fine set of performances;

- 32 out of the 34 players will be authentic;

- France have some good, entertaining players and at times have played some decent stuff;

- we should be able to work on the few combinations that need some fine tuning without the head hunting, filthy head NRL head hunters attacking our play makers;

- it will be a celebration of TGG, in its broader context, and another opportunity for a true RL nation to put on a show.

As for the score, it ought to be similar to the NZ - France game, though France rested some of their better players for that.

Come on England!

Does no one think that it might matter more to the French to put on a stylish display against zee 'ated eengleesh?

*Based on my experience of being engaged to a Frenchie, I think they might!

France have showed all the characteristic guile, subtlety and attacking flair so typical of a side coached by Sir Richard of Agar. This means that at some point, they may actually move the ball and attack - however it won't be very often. Maybe they'll turn up and fight this time. Certainly hope so as England need another good hit out & also need to show more than the 20min blitz which has been evident so far. Either way, I'll settle for another good crowd, more great entertainment, pies & beer. Oh - and a run out for Gareth Widdop maybe?

Just can't lose this feeling of positivity and enthusiasm for the World Cup at the moment!

France will be better than you think. they were hamstrung by their halfs getting mugged by a bunch of thugs last night and i am sure chevy chase and virtu field would have struggled under that as well. against england they will be allowed to play better so i think they will be better. not saying they will win but i suspect 32 - 8 or similar with a good first 30.

Depends on how well they travel-

French football team- either Brilliant or Rubbish

French RU-  either Brilliant or Rubbish

French RL- mainly rubbish this time round..is it time for the Brilliant team to turn up- hope they do as I'll be there with my 2 lads and want to see a good match (with England triumphing or course)

It'll be an easy win for England but I'll still be there cheering the English on and warmly applauding those surrender monkeys when they do something well! Looking forward to another great International Rugby League day out!

Thats my tickets booked, pick them up on the day. Why they can't post them in time I don't know. Ah well really looking forward to the game. Went to England v Fiji at Central Park in 95 that was superb, hopefully the 'piedome' will be the same.

More players in SL means a bigger pool for them to choose from which means a better team which means more competitive matches...can you see where this is going?

Realistically that requires admitting Toulouse to SL to have two French SL clubs since it's a good bet that moving to England (especially up north) is a tough sell to young French players from the south of France and its' mediterranean climate even before considering the language barrier.  With the World Cup being such a success, just maybe a French TV network would be willing by pay for French SL broadcast rights if there was a game in France more or less weekly during the SL season.

I hope I am wrong but my worry is that this will be the lowest attended of England's matches in this World Cup.  Currently it looks like just 3 stands open and tickets available in all sections of the open stands.

Don't think France are a big draw given they have lost 2 matches already.

Shame given a KO time with a TV slot for a potentially bigger audience than on a Saturday afternoon.  England in the World Cup QF in Wigan and lots of empty seats.

This thread has all the ingredients doesn't it?

Viking Warrior airing his hatred for the French (he has to post on the subject at least 20 times a week, it's like dialysis for him).

Petero saying it'll be ###### because there aren't enough NRL gods.

General moans about the kick-off time.

And there was me thinking it was a chance for France to upset England in front of the biggest crowd for a game between the two in years. If Escaré fires again and the French pack fronts up, they can definitely trouble England. Of course, if they do trouble England that will wake up a new set of trolls. Sigh.

This thread has all the ingredients doesn't it?

Viking Warrior airing his hatred for the French (he has to post on the subject at least 20 times a week, it's like dialysis for him).

Petero saying it'll be ###### because there aren't enough NRL gods.

General moans about the kick-off time.

And there was me thinking it was a chance for France to upset England in front of the biggest crowd for a game between the two in years. If Escaré fires again and the French pack fronts up, they can definitely trouble England. Of course, if they do trouble England that will wake up a new set of trolls. Sigh.

Moan moan moan that's all we get from you isn't it? :biggrin:

I can't wait for the game BTW. We should treasure these fixtures. Not too many left in this comp.

Moan moan moan that's all we get from you isn't it? :biggrin:

I can't wait for the game BTW. We should treasure these fixtures. Not too many left in this comp.

Aye, that's me mate. I suppose I came into the thread hoping for a bit of discussion on the big match-ups or how France might ambush England. Escaré-Tomkins, Pélissier-Roby(?), Casty-SamB.

I'll be at this one too, will be game 4 for me after Wrexham earlier in the day.