Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

16/11/13 - World Cup QF3: England v France (Wigan, KO 8pm)

Who will win?   44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 21 points or more
    • England by 11 to 20 points
    • England by 1 to 10 points
    • France by 1 to 10 points
    • France by 11 to 20 points
    • France by 21 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

393 posts in this topic

Aye, that's me mate. I suppose I came into the thread hoping for a bit of discussion on the big match-ups or how France might ambush England. Escaré-Tomkins, Pélissier-Roby(?), Casty-SamB.

I'll be at this one too, will be game 4 for me after Wrexham earlier in the day.

I am hoping for a really good showing from France. Hope they play a bit more expansively than they have done before. They have nothing to lose.

If Wigan can't sell out - and I'd be surprised if we didn't given the historically high crowds for England/GB games - then it will be a shockingly bad show from a club that gets 20k regularly for non Saints games when it puts its considerable marketing talent to proper use. Meanwhile, I L chunters about RFL incompetence and under selling the game? V poor.

I am not sure why it should be up to Wigan Warriors to spend their hard earned on marketing this game? As you say, the game is already thriving there and they regularly get good attendances. What do they have to gain from marketing this game?

I am not sure why it should be up to Wigan Warriors to spend their hard earned on marketing this game? As you say, the game is already thriving there and they regularly get good attendances. What do they have to gain from marketing this game?

I assume the Wigan club and the council have made a commitment to promote this game.

Are you suggesting that clubs will get no benefit from the international game growing? Are you a RL Chairman by any chance?

Remarkable post. If you can't see that a successful world cup game can attract newbies or lapsed supporters to the sport (and Wigan RL) then there's really nothing to be done. RL myopia at its finest.

No idea how well this is being promoted but am sure the following from Wigan and the surrounding areas will be fine.

JB beat me to it. You would have thought that a support base who has seen player after player depart because of higher profile "sport"/NRL elsewhere would be acutely conscious of the imperative importance of the World Cup. Am not too cross yet, as I'm sure we'll come good. But I reserve the right to be cross on Saturday night.

Be an easyish win for England but I do hope the French play to there potential as on paper they have a decent competitive squad that the majority are playing super league week in week out, I suppose a 20k crowd would be good but would be awesome and great for the game if we could sell out any chance?

According to a local journalist we've sold more than 20k with 9k since Saturday, so it's looking good. And there I was getting so cross - like those Widdop fans who think the sun will set on our chances if he doesn't play. And yet...

This thread has all the ingredients doesn't it?

Viking Warrior airing his hatred for the French (he has to post on the subject at least 20 times a week, it's like dialysis for him).

Petero saying it'll be ###### because there aren't enough NRL gods.

General moans about the kick-off time.

And there was me thinking it was a chance for France to upset England in front of the biggest crowd for a game between the two in years. If Escaré fires again and the French pack fronts up, they can definitely trouble England. Of course, if they do trouble England that will wake up a new set of trolls. Sigh.

We need Canetman to post that the RFL announced the crowd figure 5000 more than it actually was to have all the ingredients. 

I'd forgotten about CM. What does a one trick pony do when they take away his one trick?

I think we need to take France to the cleaners in preparation for NZ and (possibly) Australia. If we start like we did against Fiji then we may miss the opportunity to build some momentum for the Semi-Final. For once we have to be ruthless. The players confidence needs to increase and the gelling of the team needs to finally come together. I can't guess who Maccas going to select but he needs to choose the same team that he intends to play for the semi's, so that they can get some familiarity.

I assume the Wigan club and the council have made a commitment to promote this game.

Are you suggesting that clubs will get no benefit from the international game growing? Are you a RL Chairman by any chance?

Remarkable post. If you can't see that a successful world cup game can attract newbies or lapsed supporters to the sport (and Wigan RL) then there's really nothing to be done. RL myopia at its finest.

No idea how well this is being promoted but am sure the following from Wigan and the surrounding areas will be fine.

JB beat me to it. You would have thought that a support base who has seen player after player depart because of higher profile "sport"/NRL elsewhere would be acutely conscious of the imperative importance of the World Cup. Am not too cross yet, as I'm sure we'll come good. But I reserve the right to be cross on Saturday night.

Easy ladies - this was a geniune question. Imagine that you are IL. You have a limited amount of money to spend on marketing. You know that you get a pretty good crowd usually, especially when the away lot bring a few guys. There are a few games you target each year and that is what you spend your pot on. The market around wigan is likely saturated - everyone who ever would is likely watching the game anyway. You get no direct money back from this game (Wigan are tenants of DW, right?). Where do you spend your hard earned to make your business perform as well as possible?

I personally think that the international game is the best way to grow the game. But is it the best way to grow the game in and around the wigan area is what IL would be asking himself. I am not saying I don't think that they should be marketing the game...

Head To Head

November 2012 - England 44-6 France - Hull

October 2009 - England 34-12 France - Doncaster

June 2009 - France 12-66 England - Paris

June 2007 - England 42-14 France - Leeds

October 2006 - England 26-10 France - Leeds

So since 2004 we've played France five times! Though the only competition one was the October 2009.

I'd forgotten about CM. What does a one trick pony do when they take away his one trick?

He just becomes a pony.

Paris St Germain? Didn't they kick off super league with a team of rugby union players and a crowd of 16,000 who got in for free. Crowds dwindled to 2-3000 and they went bust. If I remember correctly...

England will win by 40. Unfortenatly, rugby league in France is too weak to struggle 80 minutes against one of the big three. In france, only 30 players are professionnal pllaers, in front of 200 or more in England.

Head To Head

November 2012 - England 44-6 France - Hull

October 2009 - England 34-12 France - Doncaster

June 2009 - France 12-66 England - Paris

June 2007 - England 42-14 France - Leeds

October 2006 - England 26-10 France - Leeds

So since 2004 we've played France five times! Though the only competition one was the October 2009.

We played France twice in 2012.

We played France twice in 2012.

I think we also played them in Avignon in 2011.

Paris St Germain? Didn't they kick off super league with a team of rugby union players and a crowd of 16,000 who got in for free. Crowds dwindled to 2-3000 and they went bust. If I remember correctly...

No, no - in the initial matches PSG had a team with a genuine homegrown French RL backbone and a smattering of Antipodeans and beat Sheffield in their first fixture in front of a big crowd. There were some fixtures with free tickets to whet the Paris public's appetite which worked reasonably well.

The issues arose when the coach started playing a predominantly Antipodean lineup, many which were overpaid, and also (I think) the travelling took its toll on the French players who were still attached to their French Championship clubs and often still turned out for them too. There just weren't the foundations in Paris to really build a club, especially with it being increasingly managed with a short-term view.

HE'S NOT A ONE TRICK PONY. HE'S NOT A TEN TRICK PONY. HE'S A WHOLE FIELD OF PONIES. FACT.LA

What happened to Paris-sur-whatever...?

Paris Surtout was, allegedly, a pretend French poster who in reality came from Huddersfield. I miss his his posts.

No, no - in the initial matches PSG had a team with a genuine homegrown French RL backbone and a smattering of Antipodeans and beat Sheffield in their first fixture in front of a big crowd. There were some fixtures with free tickets to whet the Paris public's appetite which worked reasonably well.

The issues arose when the coach started playing a predominantly Antipodean lineup, many which were overpaid, and also (I think) the travelling took its toll on the French players who were still attached to their French Championship clubs and often still turned out for them too. There just weren't the foundations in Paris to really build a club, especially with it being increasingly managed with a short-term view.

To add to your post...

Entrance was free at all games if I remember correctly. No tickets required. At least, I never used any ticket to get in once the gates were opened.

It was one of (if not) the main ploy to attract supporters and 'neutrals' alike to Rugby League.

The opening night was fantastic especially with the 'home boys' winning the game with last minute length of the field try.

It all went downhill from there.

Most of the time, there were more English supporters than French 'supporters' in the stands.

Great idea, but poor execution.

The players confidence needs to increase and the gelling of the team needs to finally come together.

Hasn't Anthony already played for the Cooks?

Some interesting selection challenges for McNamara I'd go -

Sam - much sounder at 1 these days, but would like to see a clean break or 2

Josh - deserves an equal opportunity against weaker opponents

Watkins - class

Cudjoe - has gone ok, better than I feared. Having Ferres on his side must help

Hall - wbw

Chase - some glimpses last week. We won't beat the Aussies by being more efficient, hence we need a maverick

Sinny - hope he's been working on his goal kicking

Hill - immense

Roby - wouldn't mind seeing Mc against the Kiwis where strong early defence will be essential. Roby's good though

Mossop - his last chance to impress, but he has to take it

Sam B - immense, beginning to show what the fuss is about

Ferres - going very well. Thank you Mr Hock, for playing him in

Lockers - at his best, would contribute massively

Burrow - really good last week, the best interchange we have had

George Burgess - solid, but we need fewer errors

Graham - worth his place, but denting the line would be good

Westwood - his poor positioning cost us a try and he isn't doing as much elsewhere to compensate for his indiscretions for mine. Can up his game and needs to

I want the game to be competitive, but then again I want a resounding England victory to give us confidence going into the game against NZ.

If Widdop starts at 6 that will make me more than happy though.

Widdop hasn't been picked yet again , halves to face the french are sinfield and the little kiwi and NRL reject ( but did really well for castleford and earned himself a great deal at top club Salford!!!!) with burrow on the bench.

Charnley also been picked along with mclorum and mossop