Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lounge Room Lizard

More trouble at Bradford!

34 posts in this topic

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-league/news/article/480/9022925/whitcut-announces-bulls-departure

Very wierd statement as it comes across as the RFL told him to step down- just a couple of weeks after agreeing things with the new lot. Alot of trouble behind the scenes when the club should be going forward and giving a positive outlook. 

what happened to Kath Hardcastle?. It was trumpeted on high because she was a female director promising a breath of fresh air.

I'm going to credit the RFL here. They've had a change of heart or got some new info and they've acted on it.

Maybe lessons have been learnt from the dealings with the saviours of Trinity.

Kate Hardcastle is at the club as a non-executive director. She is still in that post.

Good lord. I wasn't expecting details of what part of the test had been failed, but eight dissolved companies is going some!

In that case, it's probably good news that he's failed the FaPP test and is out.

In that case, it's probably good news that he's failed the FaPP test and is out.

Dead right.  I'm hoping that the RFL share with all clubs what the test criteria are to avoid a repeat of this.  It's nothing like Andrew Glover at Wakefield, who to my knowledge has an unblemished record, but just seemed to be out of his depth and blagging his way through running the club.

Good lord. I wasn't expecting details of what part of the test had been failed, but eight dissolved companies is going some!

Seems that was the bit that failed. The only bit I don't understand is that none of those eight incidents have been in the last fortnight since the RFL ok-ed the takeover..

Regarding dissolved companies, I would expect many entrepreneurs would have a few as they launch new ventures and realise that it isn't going to work. Duncan Bannatyne has a seperate LTD company for each of his health clubs.

Seems that was the bit that failed. The only bit I don't understand is that none of those eight incidents have been in the last fortnight since the RFL ok-ed the takeover..

As I proposed elsewhere, I reckon the two-week gap was Whitcut working his notice.

Dont panic!!

The fans will know things are really desperate when we change our name to Portsmouth.

;)

Regarding dissolved companies, I would expect many entrepreneurs would have a few as they launch new ventures and realise that it isn't going to work. Duncan Bannatyne has a seperate LTD company for each of his health clubs.

Yes - plenty of successful people have had failures, not many have the Midas touch!

I try and remind people of this when they rip into Nigel Wood for overseeing the failure at Halifax.

NIgel Wood failure at Fax was bvery much down to him ignoring people and thinking he knew best. He alienated many people including fans and sponsors. He went against all advice. Despite the local newspaper running a comp of a new nickname (Bombers for example was the clear favourite) he went against ALL suggestions and came out with "Blue Sox" which neither had local connections or could you really market in the way Bulls, Rhinos etc could . You cant blame one person for the way things happened at Fax, but he did have a large part in things and allowed the club to run up massive debts. Just a couple of weeks before it all came out the club went more or less belly up and selling things he left with no reason and no statement as to why he left. Nigel Wood simply didnt listen or want to listen at Fax. Looking at the state of the game and the RFL. His failings are still in evidence now as they was back when he was at Fax as CEO

Yes - plenty of successful people have had failures, not many have the Midas touch!

I try and remind people of this when they rip into Nigel Wood for overseeing the failure at Halifax.

I'm sure I read once Richard Branson had 14 failed companies in amongst all the success of Virgin.

There's failures and failures mind, so I guess it pays to read beyond the headline figure!

I'm sure I read once Richard Branson had 14 failed companies in amongst all the success of Virgin.

There's failures and failures mind, so I guess it pays to read beyond the headline figure!

Branson's most successful brand is himself.  Most of his companies fail.

True but then they have had successes in amongst the failures. Looking at this chap's record it seems every single business he has been involved in has ended up bankrupt - and these were not start-up companies, most of them were established going concerns when he became a director. He appears to have the midas touch in reverse.

NIgel Wood failure at Fax was bvery much down to him ignoring people and thinking he knew best. He alienated many people including fans and sponsors. He went against all advice. Despite the local newspaper running a comp of a new nickname (Bombers for example was the clear favourite) he went against ALL suggestions and came out with "Blue Sox" which neither had local connections or could you really market in the way Bulls, Rhinos etc could . You cant blame one person for the way things happened at Fax, but he did have a large part in things and allowed the club to run up massive debts. Just a couple of weeks before it all came out the club went more or less belly up and selling things he left with no reason and no statement as to why he left. Nigel Wood simply didnt listen or want to listen at Fax. Looking at the state of the game and the RFL. His failings are still in evidence now as they was back when he was at Fax as CEO

He did a fairly shocking job at Fax, but how on earth would you have marketed 'Bombers' in a tasteful or ethical manner???

He did a fairly shocking job at Fax, but how on earth would you have marketed 'Bombers' in a tasteful or ethical manner???

I completely agree.

But those things are generic things that can be levelled at anybody in charge of a failing business. I respect your views on this as you are clearly more aware of what happened than me, but the reality is that running a sport club is a bloody difficult business, not many make a success of it.

True but then they have had successes in amongst the failures. Looking at this chap's record it seems every single business he has been involved in has ended up bankrupt - and these were not start-up companies, most of them were established going concerns when he became a director. He appears to have the midas touch in reverse.

Absolutely, I definitely wasn't sticking up for this guy!

As I proposed elsewhere, I reckon the two-week gap was Whitcut working his notice.

If he'd 'been working his notice' he would hardly have stood with the others for the photo in the T&A, nor would any of the others have made the comments they did about working together and moving forward with their different responsibilities. That would have been more than a bit daft and more like making total buffoons of themselves.

All in all, the one thing which appears to be clear from the piece in the paper, is that all of them thought that 'that was it', all done and dusted and the club was up and running. The RFL really should have got this right first time - it's not as though they didn't take enough of it. It's yet another case to the RFL sailing full speed ahead with their bow doors open.