Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Is this the future for RL in S Wales ?

117 posts in this topic

Has there been any official news from the club or a club official? I can't believe it if not, from the outside it looks like there is no players and no coach. Surely the fans that put money into this club have had an update or deserve one.

To give an idea of why Maesteg should be the place, I had a call this morning regarding the Academy.

The gentleman on the phone was mystified as to why his calls,email and even snail mail to WRL offices at Treforest hadn't been returned....that's because they don't exist anymore and the only office WRL have is the dedicated one at Maesteg.

When I read the message on the Scotland RL website I had a look on the Welsh and Irish ones to see if a similar situation existed. So that's it, is it? The Welsh office shut? The staff gone?

The Treforest Office shut about 4 months ago.

Jon Ellis is based at Maesteg, Mark Jones is there some days as well. The other staff work in other locations, although as you will see there isn't that many still there at the moment.

I was thinking the other day that the RFL should try get two teams one North Wales (insert powerful mascot name) and South Wales (insert powerful mascot name) and really build a rivalry. Then try get the two Prem Football teams involved i.e Swansea say back North Wales and Cardiff back South Wales. Put loads of money into advertising and use Liberty Stadium for North Wales home game and Cardiff City Stadium for South Wales home game. Try get 10,000/15,000 their and make it a real atmosphere that fans want to go back to

I was thinking the other day that the RFL should try get two teams one North Wales (insert powerful mascot name) and South Wales (insert powerful mascot name) and really build a rivalry. Then try get the two Prem Football teams involved i.e Swansea say back North Wales and Cardiff back South Wales. Put loads of money into advertising and use Liberty Stadium for North Wales home game and Cardiff City Stadium for South Wales home game. Try get 10,000/15,000 their and make it a real atmosphere that fans want to go back to

I do like the North Wales/South Wales idea.

If things work out the way we hope we are going to try and do this, although not initially on this level.

The Liberty and Cardiff stadiums come at serious cost and will likely be unavailable -remember the Ospreys use the Liberty as their home ground.

Are there any other staff apart from those two?

At present the list on the website shows the staff of WRl who are paid. There are more unpaid staff/volunteers. Also both NWC and the Scorps have staff who assist in various ways when possible.

Swansea are in South Wales, so I can't see them ever backing North Wales given the rivalry.  

Swansea already share with Ospreys, so probably can't fit another team in either. I doubt it is just a case of asking Cardiff/Swansea to get involved, or if it was we would already have loads of clubs linked to football teams.  Also, you talk about 10-15k, but those figures are miles away at the moment, if we can only get a 3-5k Welsh fans for RLWC games (I'm guessing based on the attendances) then that won't suddenly treble for North v South Wales.  

that seems to suggest that they will be in neath again but at least they will still exist. Maybe a hint at more welsh boys playing?

More Welsh boys is good, any rumour on coaching announcements?

More Welsh boys is good, any rumour on coaching announcements?

not heard anything. Hopefully poach Clive Griffiths or Wayne Bennett ;)

I went to Neath for the world cup game last week and I loved the town, it reminded me of the north back in the eighties. I would look to build more teams in the area personally, build an identity down there. 

I have to ask you Scorps supporters.... Aberavon look to have a better ground than Neath, so why not move there???? 

I went to Neath for the world cup game last week and I loved the town, it reminded me of the north back in the eighties. I would look to build more teams in the area personally, build an identity down there.

I have to ask you Scorps supporters.... Aberavon look to have a better ground than Neath, so why not move there????

that should be neath councils new slogan "Neath: just like the north in the 80's"

Stuart Williams perhaps?

Unless new investors are laden with shekels and decide to go for a 'name' I guess it would have to be a South Wales based coach.

Is that the current assistant? Also heard while in Cardiff for the opener the the fella that coached the Wales A Team and Select Side was being spoke about, and another from South Wales area but for the life of me can't remember the name. All good anyway and going in right direction. Now just Swinton to sort themselves out :)

Yes thats him. The other candidates would likely be Lee Cullen, the other previous assistant to Dave Clark, or perhaps Paul Emanuelli. The guy you are thinking of is Mike Grady.

What's Kevin Ellis doing these days? Surely he could play a role, as an asistant coach.