Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Is this the future for RL in S Wales ?

117 posts in this topic

Update on Scorpions Facebook page this morning that 4 ex players are looking to come back to the club and also requested any other rugby players from south Wales area interested in playing next season to get in touch. So at last some positive news for rugby league in south Wales!!

Good news on their twitter saying players approaching them, definitely potential down there, just need to get hold of it

Maesteg RFC have knocked back requests from two Welsh Premier League clubs to play games there whilst they await Scorpions to come and open discussions with them.

If that's not evidence enough to say that they need to play out of there I don't know what is.

For any club to turn down guaranteed income in this climate in the hope of getting RL played there is fantastic in terms of the support they are offering and evidence of the promise they see in a link up with the WRL Academy at Maesteg School.

Well yes and no.

They were good enough to inform us at the Academy today because they only have a month or so before they will be forced to take a decision that they don't want unless Scorpions get in there soon.

As I said they are a a good bunch of people, who want Maesteg to be the Rugby (sic) town it has always been.

A 6000 capacity stadium needs using...

Maesteg isn't a bad option. Its just up the road from me but what ever it takes to keep RL in South Wales is the option for me :)

Haven't most clubs started pre season? Have you started yet?

If you are asking me Jonny i dont know - I'm not part of the club in any capacity, just trying to work with the various aspects and organisations down here to do with RL (as most of us are).

Haven't most clubs started pre season? Have you started yet?

I don't know to be honest. I am rediscovering league after the RLWC, used to attend Crusaders games I guess I am a bit of a fair weather fan lol

I have seen Rugby League played at Maesteg. Celtic Crusaders played Keighley there in the first season, and I have also had a few good days drinking in Maesteg. The 7777 ground is probably the most picturesque ground I have ever watched the game in (Sunny day helped), but I feel that Maesteg its self is too isolated to attract crowds any better than Neath. Pen-Y-Bont Crusader, you know I am a supporter of RL in South Wales. are you telling us that if Maesteg can't have Scorpions they don't want the academy? or have I misinterpreted that?

Hi CR. No we are not saying that it is dependant on having the Scorps there ayt all - its just based on common sense for a team at this level right now.

The town council as well as the RU club are supportive of this as part of a wider strategy for the town itself which makes even more sense if the club is to grow organically.

When are the fixtures out? Any news from there? It's all uncertain at Swinton to apparently, they have no coach in place I'm told

When are the fixtures out? Any news from there? It's all uncertain at Swinton to apparently, they have no coach in place I'm told

4th dec apparently