Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bomballey

Is there a shock left in the tournament....?

31 posts in this topic

I don't know about a shock but England are always capable of a shocker.

england will massacre the french. personally i can't see any shocks except perhaps fiji beating the much stronger samoans

what about scotland v new zealand............here's hoping.

I think the biggest shock we can hope for now is England defeating NZ to make the final. Fiji /Samoa is an even money bet so it won't be a shock whoever wins. I really can't see any possibility results not following rankings

Just further to that, I can't see England winning, mainly because I can't see the defeating NZ and Aus in consecutive weeks. They can beat them on their day...but I don't think they're quite good enough to beat them both in a row.

it would become a interesting turn of events if Australia got booted out

That would be wonderful!

-Samoa beating Australia ,  it's possible  / long long shot bu possible. The Ref would have to be pro Samoa for starters. The Aussie players having a massive fall out with Tim Sheens would help ( Iff he doesn't win the cup we all know his fate )

-Scotland beating NZ.

The New Zealand spine has been weakened significantly by Josh Hoffman being left out.

England beating NZ is no Shock for mine

England backing it up and beating Aussie.......once you make the big dance , anythings possible , this isn't the strongest Australian team ever named.

-

A big shock for me would be a NRL ref making a big decision, an even bigger one would be a NRL ref sending off a Kiwi or Aussie.

It's fingers crossed all round then....!!

The reason I asked the question is that one of the issues I think the media has with our game at international level is that it's very predictable.

It's been a great tournament so far but one of the big 3 being turned over or England winning it would really gain some interest and credibility

Australia winning would be a shock for me. They don't look anything special in the tournament and sound like they have treated it like a holiday!

Australia winning would be a shock for me. They don't look anything special in the tournament and sound like they have treated it like a holiday!

Interesting. What odds will you give me on Australia winning the World Cup then?

I don't particularly think there is a major shock, ie I can't see Scotland, USA or France winning in the QF's and I can't see Samoa or Fiji winning in the Semi Final.

I am still holding out for a minor shock though in the form of England winning in the Final against Australia.

Scotland, France or USA could pull off a major shock.

They probably won't, but how good is it that we're at the 1/4 final stage and it could still happen.

Just for reference, odds for the favourites to win their respective quarter-finals

NZ - 1/500

Australia - 1/1000

England - 1/100

Samoa - 4/7

So cumulative odds (for £1 staked) of 1.59. But backing Samoa on their own would return 1.57!

-Samoa beating Australia ,  it's possible  / long long shot bu possible. The Ref would have to be pro Samoa for starters. The Aussie players having a massive fall out with Tim Sheens would help ( Iff he doesn't win the cup we all know his fate )

On that note, William Hill are offering 16/1 on it being anything other than Australia v NZ or England in the final.

A long shot, but tempting