Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eltullah

Good forwards but can we get rid of sinfield and chase (merged threads)

95 posts in this topic

What teams halves are standing out so far in the World Cup?

Rangi Chase - 4 try assists, 1 clean break, 16 tackle busts, 60 carries, 7 errors, 1 try.

Keiron Foran - 9 try assists, 2 clean breaks, 5 tackle busts, 46 carries, 1 error, 0 tries.

See how much more clinical Foran is. Rangi makes plenty of tackle busts but has no end product whatsoever. If we did not have Sam Tomkins in our backline who has contributed 7 try assists we would be in serious trouble. Not to mention Rangi Chase did not make one clean break or one try assist against Australia.

The only person banging on about England's number 7 is you.

Think there are a few others who really unhappy about an average Test player filling the number 7 role - badly.

What does Rangi Chase offer the current England team?

After watching him yesterday I am really struggling to understand why he is in the team, he was woeful, again!

Everything he does is completely random, so much so it is apparent the rest of the team have no idea what is going on when he has the ball. Outside of that he is a huge liability discipline wise and one we cannot afford to take into a World Cup semi final.

Please Mr McNamara start Widdop if he is 100% fit and not Chase, it smacks of a huge coaching rick just waiting to happen at the wrong point of the World Cup.

Chase offers nothing to this team and cannot play to any structure, just leave him out of the 17 please!!!!!

He hasn't been great - but play him outside a decent scrum half and something different might happen....

Rangi Chase - 4 try assists, 1 clean break, 16 tackle busts, 60 carries, 7 errors, 1 try.

Keiron Foran - 9 try assists, 2 clean breaks, 5 tackle busts, 46 carries, 1 error, 0 tries.

See how much more clinical Foran is. Rangi makes plenty of tackle busts but has no end product whatsoever. If we did not have Sam Tomkins in our backline who has contributed 7 try assists we would be in serious trouble. Not to mention Rangi Chase did not make one clean break or one try assist against Australia.

Your stats prove absolutely nothing at all I'm afraid. You could use them stats to argue chase is the more dangerous player if you wanted.

England's number 6 made 5 errors yesterday.

Part of the reason why there is no improvement is that week to week players get away with those unforced errors, and the giving away of unnecessary penalties.  

There is no negative consequence or impact.  

The fear of losing their place for making too many mistakes is not there, and so there is no motivation to improve on their own mental toughness to learn to make the right decisions.  

Rotating players properly like Australia have done, leaves each one threatened and under pressure to perform, or they know they will lose their place.

Cronk was wobbly on Saturday, and I'm sure he'll be sweating on his place this week.  Rangi was not very good, and is probably expecting to play again next week.

I would like to know how SM got the job as well, I'm not saying he shouldn't have it,I'm just thinking it was a very strange choice on the back of his performance at Bradford.

Maybe nobody else wanted the job, It being a poisoned chalice so to speak, but i would think his days would be numbered at the Bulls, and so was readily available

He has been more baffling in his choices than most, although i can't remember a England coach who has not been hounded on here for his selections.

Regarding K Sinfield, Someone has said he has been solid and i don't disagree with that, Except that solid isn't what we want or need, We need flair and speed of the Tomkins variety, rather than a Jack of all trades. Either way It's all too late now so we have to get behind what we have, although i would not be unhappy to see Chace replaced.

Not sure about MM either, he is a very aggressive defender, but you sometimes get the impression he is more up for the Agro than the game.

All that said whoever pulls on the shirt should get our support, But i reckon they are going to have to up their game somewhat

I would like to know how SM got the job as well, I'm not saying he shouldn't have it,I'm just thinking it was a very strange choice on the back of his performance at Bradford.

Maybe nobody else wanted the job, It being a poisoned chalice so to speak, but i would think his days would be numbered at the Bulls, and so was readily available

He has been more baffling in his choices than most, although i can't remember a England coach who has not been hounded on here for his selections.

Regarding K Sinfield, Someone has said he has been solid and i don't disagree with that, Except that solid isn't what we want or need, We need flair and speed of the Tomkins variety, rather than a Jack of all trades. Either way It's all too late now so we have to get behind what we have, although i would not be unhappy to see Chace replaced.

Not sure about MM either, he is a very aggressive defender, but you sometimes get the impression he is more up for the Agro than the game.

All that said whoever pulls on the shirt should get our support, But i reckon they are going to have to up their game somewhat

denis betts was the other candidate shortlisted...whilst he was still at gloucester RU, for me mc namara was the wrong choice especially after presiding over the worst bradford team for many many years.

I don't know anyone who is happy with England's selection of Chase and Sinfield at 6 & 7.

McNamara's other team selections are odd, it's also pretty well known within the game that he can't put a structure into the team, they have no tactics or game plan and he is not able to motivate his players.

That has shown through all tournament and the Exiles games previously.

We have some out standing English players in the squad and some not, let's just hope that they can play to their full potential on Saturday v the Kiwis.

I don't know anyone who is happy with England's selection of Chase and Sinfield at 6 & 7.

McNamara's other team selections are odd, it's also pretty well known within the game that he can't put a structure into the team, they have no tactics or game plan and he is not able to motivate his players.

We have some out standing English players in the squad and some not, let's just hope that they can play to their full potential on Saturday v the Kiwis.

Amen Father....

lets just stop banging on about the inevitable, we will lose against the kiwis on sat, chase will start be dire, sinfield wont show up end of story-we cant pick the team its mcnamaras choice

I'm a bulls fan who knows that McNamara is a poor coach. I have always thought that Sinfield and Chase are overrated.

This might be your opinion, of course, but that does not make it knowledge.  Equally, thinking something doesn't make it right either.   Why do you think McNamara got the job?  Does he have a worse record than any other GB or England coach over the last 20 years or so?

What has his England record got to do with the reasons why he got the job?

Chase is an individual player, all the good things he does are off the cuff. He simply cannot be as effective in a structure.. 

The kiwis will target him (again), he will get wound up (again), give away silly penalties (again), and have even less of an impact in the game.. again.

Expect Isaac Luke to get in to him (if Chase does play) at the first opportunity.

McNamara needs to realise this, but if he hasn't realised it yet, he's not going to now..

McNamara will not budge, he comes across as been very stubborn and arrogant and just seems to be waiting for a "I told you so" moment.

I fell asleep in the second half on Sat, it was so uninspiring.

From watching Bulls during SM's reign, he doesn't seem to have a plan b, one man rugby was his plan a.

We've had one player who has shown creativity, Tomkins. I thought against Aus when Widdop came on England stepped up a gear, there was more width and more pace about us. If I was an NZ player I would be relishing playing England, espcially when Sir Kev has the ball, pressure him, cutt off his options and he'll collapse in a heap in front of you.

What has his England record got to do with the reasons why he got the job?

You tell us. You claim to have all the answers.  :shout:

McNamara will not budge, he comes across as been very stubborn and arrogant and just seems to be waiting for a "I told you so" moment.

I fell asleep in the second half on Sat, it was so uninspiring.

From watching Bulls during SM's reign, he doesn't seem to have a plan b, one man rugby was his plan a.

We've had one player who has shown creativity, Tomkins. I thought against Aus when Widdop came on England stepped up a gear, there was more width and more pace about us. If I was an NZ player I would be relishing playing England, espcially when Sir Kev has the ball, pressure him, cutt off his options and he'll collapse in a heap in front of you.

he comes across as been very stubborn and arrogant 

True. If only he'd listen to the expert advice offered by the forum's high achievers, he'd be OK.  :blum:

as an avid watcher of the NRL, i must say that the lack of using gareth widdop has been baffling,he has been outstanding for the last couple of seasons as storm stand off.. yet we continue to pick an average test player and a maverick in the halves. i would love to see widdop and burrow in the halves from this current squad.

as an avid watcher of the NRL, i must say that the lack of using gareth widdop has been baffling,he has been outstanding for the last couple of seasons as storm stand off.. yet we continue to pick an average test player and a maverick in the halves. i would love to see widdop and burrow in the halves from this current squad.

Perhaps it is  a case of th eplayers not been used to Widdops style, but that doesn't explain why when the two halves haven't been ripping up trees he didn't give Widdop a run against France. Burrow has to b ein the team on Sat so we can use him to run at tiring NZ forwards, but I doubt he will be. Burrow for McIllorum would offer the team more.

You tell us. You claim to have all the answers.  :shout:

So you have no idea then?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Trouble is Ted they may already 'be' playing to their full potential, or, could the coaching methods and selections just not be up to much, I know which side of that argument I am on the side of.

I cannot help but wonder why so many seem to think that because you criticise you are unsupportive of the team, for my part nothing could be further from the truth, however I cannot sit and look through a pair of rose tinted, you know what, just because that constitutes, obviously, in some people's minds a sign of disloyalty.

I, and I presume you to, will be rooting for England, no matter who play's? That does not mean that I find it all hunky dory and am satisfied with the coach, or his selections.

I have formed my own opinions upon why he is incompetent and to date he and his favourites have done nothing, nor proven anything at all to change them.

lets just stop banging on about the inevitable, we will lose against the kiwis on sat, chase will start be dire, sinfield wont show up end of story-we cant pick the team its mcnamaras choice

Unfortunately BB everyone is only to well aware of that, it is not exactly news! It has to be endured, as you say it is inevitable and his choice alone, but should the R/L renew Banana's contract that could and, certainly should put a different complexion on matters, wouldn't you agree?

Unfortunately BB everyone is only to well aware of that, it is not exactly news! It has to be endured, as you say it is inevitable and his choice alone, but should the R/L renew Banana's contract that could and, certainly should put a different complexion on matters, wouldn't you agree?

do you enjoy yourself?

Well i was happy with McNamara's selection at 6 and 7. Yes he can be accused of being stubborn and arrogant but there is just as good an argument for saying he wanted to give Sinfield and Chase time to gel. That said, i am beginning to think that Chase cannot flourish or be effective in a structured environment so i think Widdop should now take his place. Rumour is Widdop will be in for Chase at Wembley and Burrow for McIllorum which i too would be happy about.

Let's be honest, people have always held McNamara's (please show him some respect and use his real surname) uninspiring record at Bradford against him and he has never been given a fair crack of the whip by most fans. I have to strongly disagree that he cannot put structure to a team - this i think he clearly can and he has considerably improved England's defence compared to what it was like under Tony Smith. He has also put some excellent structures in place behind the scenes with ETS etc which people often neglect and this has created a strong team environment, which the players will support. That said he will be judged on Saturday's performance and if we go out, i don't see his contract being renewed, and ultimately results dictate.

Well i was happy with McNamara's selection at 6 and 7. Yes he can be accused of being stubborn and arrogant but there is just as good an argument for saying he wanted to give Sinfield and Chase time to gel. That said, i am beginning to think that Chase cannot flourish or be effective in a structured environment so i think Widdop should now take his place. Rumour is Widdop will be in for Chase at Wembley and Burrow for McIllorum which i too would be happy about.

Let's be honest, people have always held McNamara's (please show him some respect and use his real surname) uninspiring record at Bradford against him and he has never been given a fair crack of the whip by most fans. I have to strongly disagree that he cannot put structure to a team - this i think he clearly can and he has considerably improved England's defence compared to what it was like under Tony Smith. He has also put some excellent structures in place behind the scenes with ETS etc which people often neglect and this has created a strong team environment, which the players will support. That said he will be judged on Saturday's performance and if we go out, i don't see his contract being renewed, and ultimately results dictate.

Never before has a GB/England coach been afforded so much time and availability to his charges, he has had the luxury of getting his multiple P's correct i.e. Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents P155 Poor Performance, if we do not come up with the goods and lose, then:-

1) Tactically he has got it wrong.

2) His selection criteria, is wrong.

3) We are simply not good enough, to compete at this level.

If we do lose and the post-mortem suggests either 1) or 2) to be at fault, then he has to go, no second chance, If it is deemed that 3) is responsible well er..................

Mr Moderator please excuse the vernacular, it is not meant to offend, it is an essential part of the phrase.

Never before has a GB/England coach been afforded so much time and availability to his charges, he has had the luxury of getting his multiple P's correct i.e. Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents P155 Poor Performance, if we do not come up with the goods and lose, then:-

1) Tactically he has got it wrong.

2) His selection criteria, is wrong.

3) We are simply not good enough, to compete at this level.

If we do lose and the post-mortem suggests either 1) or 2) to be at fault, then he has to go, no second chance, If it is deemed that 3) is responsible well er..................

Mr Moderator please excuse the vernacular, it is not meant to offend, it is an essential part of the phrase.

You do realise we are in the Semi finals on Saturday don't you.

Why not wait and see how far we progress before you perform your post mortem, your 3 points could all turn out to be absolute tosh.

You do realise we are in the Semi finals on Saturday don't you.

Why not wait and see how far we progress before you perform your post mortem, your 3 points could all turn out to be absolute tosh.

It wasn't exactly hard getting into the semi finals though was it. The only good team we played beat us.