Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Banbury Wolf

Filling Wembley - Brainstorm

71 posts in this topic

Just some thoughts - in an ideal world - on how to fill Wembley next weekend...

- Allocate 10-20,000 'recognition' tickets now to the Armed Forces, WC volunteers, charity workers linked to the WC etc.etc.

- Contact local schools during the week to give them a special 'group' price for a block of 20 tickets. Put all of these groups in the same area of the stadium.

Would be worth a crack to increase the attendance and therefore build upon the (what will already be) excellent atmosphere at Wembley.

Rather have bums on seats and extra vocal support than 'wasted' blocks.

No shame in doing that - similar initiatives are the only way they were able to fill Twickenham for a number of years in the 90s!

That wont be fair on those who bought tickets but letting kids in for free will be ideal. Twickenham is always sold out due to the successful ways union sold their tickets through its local clubs and members and its similar here in NZ and Australia.

Unfair doesn't even come in to it, the poster above says most have discounted tix anyway, id save some for walk ups but invite several deserving bodies like armed forces, hospital staff etc and fill the place.

Here's a great idea to fill Wembley - the moaning Rugby League fans need to quit their moaning and buy a ticket and realise what a great product our game is!

Oh and take a mate with you!

Have to say I like the idea of giving away a certain % of tickets away to local schools and the armed forces but what about the 200,000+ Aussies and kiwis that live in and around London? Surely we could/should be targeting them?

Here's a great idea to fill Wembley - the moaning Rugby League fans need to quit their moaning and buy a ticket and realise what a great product our game is!

Oh and take a mate with you!

I'd love to go, but simply cannot afford it. Fancy paying for me?

The danger with giving away tickets is that people start expecting them and don't bother paying.  Seen it happen at other events (music festivals) when tickets went on group-on and the next year the initial sales were shockingly poor as people waited for the massive price cut.

Push it promote it but don't start giving swathes of free tickets away as many of the recipients won't turn up and it makes selling your next big event much more difficult. FWIW I'd rather we offered a special offer to people affected by cancer in honour of Steve Prescott than the other suggestions here.

I'd love to go, but simply cannot afford it. Fancy paying for me?

Different! Not being able to afford is a genuine reason.

I was refering to the moaners. I haven't seen you on here moaning about how "it's a stupid idea, stick to the heartlands, southerners don't like the game, it'll be a flop, I blame the RFL" rubbish.

Perhaps giving a deal to Broncos pass holders to show we haven't forgotten them 4 tickets for 20 quid 

Giving away tickets isn't a great strategy.

it is a day or 2 out from the game when theres still 25,000 tickets left

There needs to be a media blitz starting tomorrow, adverts and interviews with the organizers, players and coaches on BBC radio 5live, BBC radio London, talksport, LBC etc with competitions to win tickets and details about the price of the tickets. Borris Johnson passing a rugby ball to or being tackled by Sam burgess, Greg inglis, SBW etc will attract all the media as he's a magnet for them, also some sort of "event" in trafalgar square like what was done leading upto the challenge cup final. Maybe we could even target the city slickers that work in "the city" wheeling and dealing in the stock exchange.

There are some good ideas in this thread. Hopefully someone at the RLWC HQ will pick up on them.

Oh for a dynamic marketing strategist in the corridors of power.

Some of the profits from this WC should be spent on headhunting and paying for someone to fill this role.

It's a vital aspect of the business of sport. The role would be self financing once in place.

We've got the product but we cannot sell it- but we could if we tried.

"Pay peanuts get monkeys"

I think giving away small groups of tickets to the right organizations is a good idea but giving away thousands of free tickets just cheapens the product and comes across as desperate.

No no no, it's cheap enough for gods sake

There needs to be a media blitz starting tomorrow, adverts and interviews with the organizers, players and coaches on BBC radio 5live, BBC radio London, talksport, LBC etc with competitions to win tickets and details about the price of the tickets. Borris Johnson passing a rugby ball to or being tackled by Sam burgess, Greg inglis, SBW etc will attract all the media as he's a magnet for them, also some sort of "event" in trafalgar square like what was done leading upto the challenge cup final. Maybe we could even target the city slickers that work in "the city" wheeling and dealing in the stock exchange.

How about selling tickets first  as normal-there are 6 days to go and what about turn up on day?-give them away devalues !

We need to hold our nerve with Wembley, not panic and start throwing freebies around.  It is better to get a crowd there who value what they are getting rather than one picked up off the street who couldn't care less but are getting a freebie.  Sends out all the wrong messages.  We will get the crowd we get and so long as they enjoy the day and let it be known they are enjoying it, that's what counts.

Free to charities and community groups is good.

Free newspaper giveaways like 2000 final is a big no no.

They were ok with 28k empty seats in Cardiff i expect they'll be ok with empty seats at Wembley.

Focus on the full seats people, there'll be over 50k of them!

I think we need to find a way of getting across how good value the big hit is without making it sound cheap.

Get Sam Burgess talking about his interesting back story in the metro and the standard with lots of references to the games and the fact that tickets start from just £20.

Sport is expensive in London my local team is leyton orient in league one there cheapest tickets are £24!

No need IMO to give away tickets just get the message across to Londoners how good value it is for elite sport.

Target some areas of Wembley with blocks of 10 tickets for £100

Offer a few free tickets (not loads) to places and organisations that have helped the game recently - Colchester and Medway for the Armed Forces and Wheelchair World Cups for example

Email every Broncos supporter via their database - with discounts

Let all the RLWC volunteers in for free if they want to - excluding those that aren't working on the day. Their reward for being at midweek games late at night tidying up, etc.